Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Happy Juneteenth!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy Juneteenth!
    Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 2:54am
I almost wanna say I first learned about it in school, but I'm not sure. 
Sponsored Links

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Wait yeah I thought it was just a TX thing. But I assume most yall are talking about other states..I'm looking at what purp posted, and so why do other states celebrate it? Cause TX was the final state that made it official?

so this is even more reason to make it a much bigger deal

in San Francisco we celebrate it but most black people from here migrated from Texas, La, Arkansas...so the culture probably carried over.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:39am
Most folks in Cali don't know about this holiday

You have to go deep into the Black neighborhoods and to any MLK street just hear about it
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:36am
Wait yeah I thought it was just a TX thing. But I assume most yall are talking about other states..I'm looking at what purp posted, and so why do other states celebrate it? Cause TX was the final state that made it official?

so this is even more reason to make it a much bigger deal

Edited by Lite Brite - Jun 20 2014 at 1:37am
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:31am
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

explain juneteenth for non-americans (some non Americans too)

slaves didnt find out they were free til years after the Emancipation Proclamation b/c lincoln's document "freed" slaves in states he had no control over and not the ones he did.

the news to slaves in the south didnt come until years later (no twitter). hence juneteenth, the real celebration of freedom 

DeadDeadLOL

anyway I feel like this needs to be a holiday that gives me a day off work.

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:27am
back home i went to the festival most years, i'm actually surprised that the festival has survived every year...i heard that a lot of states don't have celebrations.  it should get bigger though.  4th of july is NOTHING.
K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 12:02am
I think I'd heard of Juneteenth but never understood what it was about/meant. It is not celebrated in my town either but I'm not surprised. 
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:56pm
When I first heard of it...I had no idea what it was.   And what's more is that the events we went to....nobody explained.  They just played spades and ate Bar b Que like any other Pic a Nic.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:37pm
We were discussing this earlier today. I love that picture of the former slaves celebrating the holiday posing in their Sunday best.Thumbs Up

*side eying the fukk outta public school admin that didn't teach this*
AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:12pm
I used to love going to our Juneteenth celebration. Most of the people I know don't know the significance of Juneteeth they just went for the food, to be seen in the hottest gear and famous acts. I stopped going because I got tired of running from bullets but it's like the most anticipated event in the city for Blacks.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic