Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

The Flip Over Method....Ideal for Naturals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
FluffyKay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluffyKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Flip Over Method....Ideal for Naturals?
    Posted: Nov 30 2014 at 1:44pm
See your hair was able to blend. You are right it is not a long term style. It lays funny after a awhile.
Sponsored Links

creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2014 at 12:08pm
i did it on a wig and left out only a very, very small amount of leave out. it was some old wags nc. it was super cute, but i guess i'm wack because after a while it just laid funny. i'm not doing it again. 
FluffyKay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluffyKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2014 at 10:47am
I was the fool who is 100% natural with a very coarse 4C texture who tried it.
Initially, I installed some kinky yaki hair and I did the flip of a method, at the front oh chile my hair was a hot mess over it, because I've worn my hair in such an afro for so long it is not heat trained to be straight, even though I flat ironed & hot comb it was not working. so I stopped trying to blend and every morning take a sh*tload of edge control 2 plaster down my edges and just position the hair over lol. I even tried it with kinky curly hair but because of the luster of my hair the front of the wig was just greasy because I have to put so much product to my front hairline to get it to blend. Is it no go if your hair texture is not matching your install.
Dany06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dany06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2014 at 10:31am
Also, I cant get my install to last past 3 1/2 weeks when using looser textures. The front slips back after a while. The more hair you leave out, the easier it is to cover the slippage as it gets old. The downside to leaving more hair out, is that you have to worry about blending. If its your first time doing the flip over method, find hair that matches pretty close to your own. Use hair that has a similar sheen and frizz factor. you will thank yourself in the end

Surprisingly people will think its your real hair even though there is no part. If you wear the flipover method in it natural state, it kind of gives a part like look. 

Dany06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dany06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2014 at 10:17am
Im natural and I actually like the flip over method. I think that it works really well for curly hair. It is much easier when you use hair that matches your own. The blending becomes very easy. You can literally style both your hair and the extensions at the same time. I talking about styling it like scee1206 on youtube. She just brushed her wet/damp hair into the extensions with some gel and goes. 

Now using curls that dont match your own takes some planning. Bad days are bound to happen but the large headband can be your friend. Blending is notas easy because the textures dont match. I recently used 3b curls in the back and 3b/3c curls in the front. My hair is 4a and spongy. The extensions had a luster that my hair doesnt naturally have as well as bigger curls. So I flat twisted the hair and put perm rods on the ends. I never got around to gelling my hair into it, because I didnt want to look bad at work. It might have worked but I never tried. 

Also flipping the hair over is not as easy as ivy makes it. If you cant style your hair into, then when you flip it over, you have to worry about blending. With kinky curly hair this was not a problem. With looser curls I noticed that tracks would show if I didnt take precaution. Plus literally flip the hair over was really big. It was cute but reminiscent of 80s hair. I think flipping the hair over is for fun outings and pictures. 

I would continue to do this method because it gave my hair direction. It wasnt bulky in the front and my hair didnt get in my eyes. You didnt have the tracks showing because it is similar to the invisible part method. 

Below are a couple of pictures of the looser texture.

Flip over method laying normally

flip over method actually flipped

Edited by Dany06 - Nov 01 2014 at 10:19am
Bribby View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bribby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2014 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by khairstevens khairstevens wrote:

I never had a problem and I'm natural. The less you leave out the better, if your hair is very very coarse.

Any pics?
khairstevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khairstevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:52am
I never had a problem and I'm natural. The less you leave out the better, if your hair is very very coarse.
kandyse1988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kandyse1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:25pm
Yeah that's how I use it on a wig cap... The same exact way but don't have to worry about it growing out etc..
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:18pm
LOL at the Whitney and Janet examples.

Its a decent method for naturals because it minimizes the amount of leave out. You would then have to choose hair that closely matches your texture. If you're going to go too far outside of that then it will look absolutely terrible when it grows out or when your leave out becomes damaged from too much manipulation. 

A work around for that would be using the method on a cap so that its like a 3/4 wig or making it on a small piece of net like a closure. That way you can adjust it as it grows and wouldn't have to worry about wasting your good hair. Otherwise, you will likely lose those short pieces of weft.
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 9:48am
Yeah I aint bout that life, I had to tell my GF nope when someone gave her a curly no weave. Hers was shorter so she was looking like Whitney from waiting to exhale and we cant go outside like dat...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic