BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Would you renovate a rental?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you renovate a rental?
    Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:31pm
GL Noney. I know you want your home space to be a comfortable haven.
That's how I was w/ our condo. Even though I only spent about @3 waking hours a day at home, I was determined to spend those 3 hrs in something I enjoyed.
Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:12pm

they are cheaper than replacing tile and temporary

you can also change out knobs if you like

I wouldn't mess with lighting fixtures though

but you can if you want, just make sure you can put the original fixture back
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:05pm
omg, these are awesome ideas, samone! taking notes
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:03pm
lol, look what i found!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:58pm

Working The Vintage Bathroom Tile

While many of us delight in the legacy of mid-century design, there are probably far fewer of us who relish the bold tile choices associated with retro-era bathrooms. And admittedly, pepto-bismal pink tiles are not the easiest to ignore or "tie in" quietly. The key seems to be in playing into their funk.

• 1. February's Lonny Magazine showcased Lizzie Bailey's retro pink-tiles bathroom, which she decked out with an Albert Hadley black and white patterned wallpaper. The paper adds a bit of graphic modern flair but also relates well to the classic vintage vibe of the space. She also used black and white Albert Hadley sketches and black and white photos to tie the wallpaper further into the decor.
• 2., 8. Admittedly black and white is probably the easiest tile choice to work with, but I was so taken with the simple chic solutions that Alex incorporated into his old tiled bath that I couldn't help but include it. Black is hardly a common choice for the bathroom, but Alex took a cue from his black and white tiles to give his retro bath a chic masculine feel. He plays up the old world appeal with a billowy navy blue curtain, nautical paintings, and brass accents. Check out his full house tour here.
• 3. Apartment Therapy New York's talented Geoff Bentz's fabulous bathroom makeover. I would never have thought red and white stripes could look so good with baby blue! I think this is a perfect example of going full steam ahead with a bold idea. Using a milder color could have left the bathroom feeling mushy or too cutesy, but the barber shop stripes and strong-statement vintage accents bring out the tile's best. To see more, including before pictures, click here.
• 4., 7. If you haven't noticed by the number of times I've referred to this image, Nicole and Colin's bath is one of my favorites. They worked their mustard yellow and black tiles in by choosing a shower curtain that contained the same saffron color, and then they painted the walls the other silvery sage color contained in the shower curtain. For the final touch, they used black and white art to tie in the black of the bullnose tile. To see their whole house tour, click here.
• 5., 6. Another house tour favorite of mine is Mara and Micheal's pink and cream tiled bath photographed by the talented Laure Joliet of Apartment Therapy LA. Mara painted the large graphic floral pattern in colors that compliment the original pink and creamy yellow tile, while also adding some modern spunk to the old bath. See the full tour here.
• 9. In my own retro bath makeover, I played up the boldness of the black and white vintage tile with an equally bold wall color, and then tempered it by painting a black silhouette scene of my daughters and adding in a few other black and white accents. Check out the full makeover here.

Ds2nice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ds2nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:57pm
I can see if you want to paint the apartment but don't do any costly renovations like removing and installing new tiles. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:56pm

Solutions for Renters: Bathrooms

April 25, 2013

Hello hello, how are you? I thought I’d continue the Solutions for Renters series today and chat about the bathroom – a space that poses challenges equal to kitchens in rentals since most everything is fixed. The cabinets, the fixtures, the tile. Yep, you’re stuck with it. So how do you make the space feel more like you? I thought about all the ways to tackle the job and came up with ten solutions.

1. Curtains with Style.  Add a happy shower curtain in a bold floral or a mod geometric and suddenly the space has more color and personality.

bathroom shower curtain bhg[2]

Better Homes & Gardens

botanical shower curtain tenjune

Ten June

floral shower curtain bhg

Better Homes & Gardens

2. Hide the floor. A stylish floor mat helps to disguise flooring and also brings comfort underfoot. There are plenty of retail options or you can get creative with a DIY project. As an alternative, ask if the landlord will allow you to adhere peel and stick linoleum tiles.

bath mats

west elm / garnet hill / east coast creative

3.  Skirt the Sink.  Fabric softens a space and also hides toiletries, think about stitching up your own version to disguise the cabinet or pedestal below the sink.

skirted bathroom sink

Cote de Texas

bathroom vanity skirt bhg[2]

Better Homes & Gardens

skirted sink leverone design

Leverone Design

4.  Add Extra Storage.  Look for extra space wherever you can find it, from the inside the vanity cabinet to freestanding containers or storage units.

shelving inside cabinet bhg

Better Homes & Gardens

rental bathroom

Apartment Therapy

wisteria table

Wisteria

5.  Accessorize with Your Personality.  Bring favorite finds into the bathroom like a rustic chair, table, ladder, or a storage cabinet. Turn shelves or walls into a mini art gallery. Paper the inside of the medicine cabinet. It’s small touches like these that add charm and will make the space more cheerful and more you.

bathroom table storage bhg[2]

Better Homes & Gardens

bathroom with pink accents

art filled bathroom

sources unknown

papered cabinet bhg

Better Homes & Gardens  west elm accessories

West Elm

6. Rock the Vintage Tile.  We’ve all seen those bathrooms tiled in colorful ceramics from way back in the day. Instead of fighting it, go with it and have fun while you’re doing so by either playing off the retro vibe or adding modern touches.

yellow vintage tile yhl

Young House Love 

vintage tile apt therapy

Apartment Therapy

pink tile bathroom yhl

Young House Love

7.  Refinish the Tub and/or Tile.  To save money in a bathroom remodel last year, we used an epoxy kit to rescue the dingy tub. Since it’s a permanent solution, make sure you get permission from your landlord but is an affordable way to cover tile that’s in desperate need of a facelift!

tub and tile epoxy

alma project/ rustoleum kit / homax kit / cottage in the oaks

8. Cover with Temporary Wallpapers. Get the look of the permanent versions by spending a few bucks on temporary removable wallpapers to add that dash of panache to your plain bathroom walls.

temporary wallpapers

pulp design studios / honeycomb / blue floral / jade marrakesh

9.  Hang Window Shades or Privacy Film.  Window treatments offer privacy and also the opportunity to bring fabric or texture into a bathroom space. Modern privacy films are another way to add subtle pattern and protect you from neighbor’s eyes while you primp.

window shade lonny

Lonny

privacy window film

1 / 2

clementine and olive bathroom

Clementine and Olive

10.  Splurge on Good Towels.  It’s a little bit easier to forget about all the ways you’d change the bathroom when you’re wrapped in a cushy towel so treat yourself to some nice ones!

pottery barn towels

Pottery Barn

bathroom towels

Houzz

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:54pm

this is removable - for tiles on the wall of course

1.  Change the Backsplash.  If you’re lucky, you’ll have decent cabinets in your rental but if you dislike the backsplash there is good news, you can always change it. Sure you won’t be ripping out tile but here are some smart and equally effective ideas. Nester wasn’t crazy about the pinkish tile in hers so she installed white beadboard panels to lighten up the look in her rental home.

white beadboard backsplash nestingplace copy

Nesting Place

Jessica at Four Generations One Roof took it to the next level with her removable backsplash where she installed beautiful glass tile on panels, ones she can take with her or reuse in the future.

glass tile backsplash in rental fourgenerationsoneroof

Four Generations One Roof

Mount boards covered with chalkboard paint, consider tin tiles either plain or painted; tattoo your tiles with a few of the available products, or use vinyl to add a pattern to a plain backsplash wall. Did you know there are peel and stick tiles on the market? Time to get creative incorporate a look you love that you can install as a temporary solution while you live with someone else’s design choices.

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jun 06 2014 at 12:56pm
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:52pm
Could you paint the tile neutral? White or similar?there are kits

noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:52pm
there are? hmmm...lemme go look
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>