Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Tips for a Forcefully Dependent Student

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for a Forcefully Dependent Student
    Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 2:45pm
Midna it's going to be okay your BHM family is here..PM me if you need to talk
I have been on my own since I was 17 I know the struggle 
Sponsored Links

Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:22pm
girl she sounds like he devil. Damn. Let me read the whole thread though
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by SimplyPut SimplyPut wrote:

Didn't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this has already been said, but you can petition to be an independent student. I worked in financial aid and admissions as an undergrad and had people do it all the time. If you have someone else's address you can put down, you can have them write a letter saying you live with them and provide all support for yourself and show proof of employment and the stuff you pay on your own. The tricky thing is your mother would have to write a letter agreeing that you support yourself. Do you think she would be willing to do that?

would be a lot easier, and it'll update the information yearly when he files.
The Dept of Ed and the IRS are in bed together. Please know that anything you put on your FAFSA is subject to verification and they may ask for receipts.

A parent can't claim a dependent child for years, then flip it and say that they didn't support them when it's time to do a FAFSA. I mean, they can, but just be aware that it can come back to bite you in the rear.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:04pm
Yay MidnaHeart
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 12:55pm
I didn't read all of the responses, so this may have been said already.

If a person is:
under 24
haven't been married
don't have any children
not a veteran
hasn't been a foster child/adopted/ward of the court

They are considered to be "dependent" according to the guideline of the Dept of Ed., regardless if they moved out at 16 and totally support themselves.

Buuuut, just because a parent fills out and signs a "Parent Plus" application, doesn't mean they'll be co-signing on any loans. At a career/trade school 90% of parents are declined and even if they are approved, just filling out the app and running it doesn't mean they're on any loans.
Regardless if they're approved or not, a dependent student must provide the parent's tax returns to be used for the FAFSA app.

I speak to a lot of parents who refuse to "be on" their child's FA. I explain to them to let us at least check, it's a good chance they will be declined. They usually are, and all of the loans are in the student's name, but we have to have the parent's income tax return to complete the FAFSA and have them sign the Parent Plus form to see.

Not the school's rules, that's a Dept of Ed rule.

Every now and then you can get a Professional Judgment, if the parent is in or has been incarcerated and there is proof that the parent is MIA.
Starrygurl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starrygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 12:49pm
Pm me anytime. I'm almost in the same situation as you. Without fa I wouldn't be in college. Midna aww glad it's gonna work out for you.Heart
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 10:56am
I"m glad your dad is going to help you out.  Your mother sounds so awful, it's terrible what you had to live thru.  Hope things will be better from now on.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 10:52am
So are we chipping in to get Midna out to Vegas or what my people????
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

D'aaaawwww a happy ending thread Heart

Cry
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 10:27am
I'm glad things are better. Hug  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>