BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Treasury can make you pay for parents debt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treasury can make you pay for parents debt
    Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 10:58am
BUT it doesn't appear, in this case, that the overpayment(s) the SSA is trying to recover could have been FOR this ladies mom as she was NOT the surviving spouse.

He was married to someone else when he died. His surviving wife would have received her OWN benefits from his death.   

Rather the overpayment is FOR this lady (the one who had her tax return snatched) and/or one of her siblings.

While, the payments were made TO the mom, the benefits were FOR the surviving children (this lady and her siblings). The problem here is the SSA cannot determine which child (this lady or her siblings) the overpayment was for.

At the very very least, the SSA should have figured out how many children were alive (and receiving benefits)in 1977 and divided the overpayment among them. But more accurately, the SSA should be able to calculate which of the siblings the overpayment(s) were for and how much.
Sponsored Links

zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 10:00am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by Katrenia Katrenia wrote:

Damn, some of us may have to pay for our own "dead beat dads"??

I was wondering this...I wonder if it only applies to children who were once claimed by the parents on taxes or ss paperwork, which I highly doubt my father ever did.  

If they changed the limitations then how is it fair for this to be retroactive?  Since when do things work that way?  There will probably be enough outrage to get this overturned.

Italics: it's not constitutional. The limitations should have applied from debt incurred from 2011 onwards, not retroactively.

Bold: overturned by whom exactly? The same Democrats who controlled the Senate and House in 2008 when they passed this crap of a bill, Bush vetoed it and the congress then overrode him?

This sets a scary precedence: wait until the IRS figures out how to go after your kids for your non-compliance fines or your medical expenses under Obamacare. Your parents' federal student loans could be yours too. And this new talk to government thinking of "helping" you with your 401K, IRAs (MyRA) that typically sound like good policies until you look behind the curtain, read the details and  realize how much of your rights you are giving up.....meh Sleepy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 9:07am
the bottom line is if they (the ssa) can assess that an overpayment was made 40 years ago (from some ancient azz records) they should also be MADE to detail who that overpayment was related to specifically especially since separate documentation and eligibility review is required for the surviving spouse and for each surviving child individually.

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Apr 13 2014 at 9:12am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 9:01am
overpayments are actually pretty common.  the thought is that it is better to make sure the surviving children and/or spouse have sufficient resources (especially if the deceased was the sole provider) even while actual eligibility is sorted out.  they typically go back and adjust later if necessary.  the problem here is they waited almost 40 years to adjust...terrible.

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Apr 13 2014 at 9:07am
miana79 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miana79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 8:53am
it's not their fault the government hired dumb asses that didn't do their job right and over paid families for years. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 8:37am
lawd.  i guess it is possible that the dad was married to someone else when he died even tho he already had 5 children with her mother...Dead 

in which case, if i were her, the ssa would HAVE to prove to me that the overpayment, didn't, in fact, go to his surviving wife. 

but the more i think about it, i am assuming since the overpayment occurred roughly 17 years after the dads death, perhaps the ssa is assuming the overpayment was, in fact, associated with one of the surviving children (her or one of her siblings...of which said bene payment would have gone to her mother, on behalf of the children) since benes are typically only paid for the child of the deceased until they turn 18.  (which means he was probably married to someone else at said time when he was having children with her mother...Dead)

hmmmmm i wonder which of the siblings turned 18 in 1977 or there abouts....

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Apr 13 2014 at 8:57am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

If Black people weren't so intimidated by White folks, we would somehow link this back to reparations

I still can't believe I have to pay back loans to banks that used to own my people
every once in a while you say some thought provoking sh*t
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 8:11am
Originally posted by LilMissSunshine LilMissSunshine wrote:

Wait his wife was collecting benefits and she has to pay the price??? I'd be calling up his wife and nem!

well at first the article says it was her mother (who i'm assuming was married to her father because the mother had the same last name as the father, according to the article) who collected the benes. 

then later in the article it states that the ssa claimed it was her, her 4 other siblings and her dads wife (who she claims to never met, by the way)...not her mother...who received the benefits....weird.

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Apr 13 2014 at 8:48am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 12:06am
If Black people weren't so intimidated by White folks, we would somehow link this back to reparations

I still can't believe I have to pay back loans to banks that used to own my people
LilMissSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilMissSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 11:55pm
Wait his wife was collecting benefits and she has to pay the price??? I'd be calling up his wife and nem!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic