Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Schools increasingly check students for obesity...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Schools increasingly check students for obesity...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schools increasingly check students for obesity...
    Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 9:34pm
Not much to add but all states needs to make physical enducation/gym mandatory and if possible, bring back recess *wishful thinking*.  My anecdotal story: several years ago when I was subbing, I encountered a sixth grader who was around 5'8 or so but he had to be around 250 pounds or more.  He was an asshole but I guess I was looking at him with pure disgust but honestly I couldn't help it.  I have a horrible poker face.
Sponsored Links

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 7:30pm
what's funny is i from time to time have had friends or colleagues brag about private school education, while sitting next to me who came out of pocket less than $15,000 on my entire education including graduate school and several certifications. and we both wind up at the same place in our careers and i actually am younger. i keep my mouth shut and wonder if they only knew..
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 7:23pm
i refuse to pay for private school prior to college. i plan to live in good district or send them to public schools that take the best and the brightest from across the district (they are called "magnet" schools where i'm from).
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

also, if you can afford private school, you can probably also afford to live in a better neighborhood, with better public schools.  no point in going to pvt school and living in the hood.

Now now.....LOL
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Public schools are worst lack of funding, lack of parent involvement, weak course work across the board, its all around crappy education. I rather spend top dollar if I can't do homeschooling. Or move overseas to a nation with good education.

This is not true for all public schools in the USA. My son will attend public schools from k-12 and will start next year. Did you have AP or magnet classes iliveforbhm ?

A parent should be involved with ALL school work. Public school in any area can be great. Just make sure YOU play--- an active role within your school distinct PTA, school broad meetings, volunteer and etc. . . .
75% of education responsibility for children = parents--------- not the school.
You need to give them extra homework, pay for extra classes i.e. chess club, and after school college prep classes.

Edited by mommykat - Mar 30 2014 at 8:07pm
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:48pm
My children will learn everything they need to learn no matter where they go.
I'm in control of that as their parent.

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:46pm
well if your property taxes are low and you live in an economically depressed area-your public schools will likely suck.

Edited by EPITOME - Mar 30 2014 at 3:46pm
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I was talking about schools in the inner city, and yes, I'm pretty sure the general </span>consensus<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> is that those do not provide the best environment. </span>

Regardless, why do you care what I or someone else feels regarding the public school system? It varies by where you live. If you live somewhere where the public schools are great. Peachy! I don't...so my comment still stands. I was very specific that I was referring to myself and future children.

No. You can live in a neighborhood with houses 100,000+ and still be zoned for horrible schools. A horrible school system is not indicative of living in a horrible neighborhood. 

Why do I care? I'm not that invested but I guess you forgot what a discussion forum is...

And yes, a bad school district being zoned in decent neighborhoods happens but u know, broad strokes.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:11pm
^Awesome!

Living in the bible belt, I mainly see religious based private schools and I got a little discouraged.
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I wouldn't mind sending my child to a private school if the public schools are not up to par where I live. My only issue is that I have no idea if there are private schools that are non-religious. 

Yes. There are plenty that don't have a religious component if that where your needs take you.

Good luck!!

Eta: Some of the best prep schools in the US are secular.

Edited by ragincajin - Mar 30 2014 at 3:09pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic