Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why For-Profit Prisons House More Inmates Of Color
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedWhy For-Profit Prisons House More Inmates Of Color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why For-Profit Prisons House More Inmates Of Color
    Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 5:57pm
Thank you. It's been a long road, and my family (kids) have sacrificed however, I can only hope the by-product is me setting an example for hard-work and dedication.

. . . and it's never too late. I went to night-school part-time in the evenings BTW.
Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 1:41pm
@ Trudawg I'm so happy and proud that you did thatClap.  You literally did what I wanted to do but didn't because I was already married with children and it seemed like a long road to take my family on.  I'm still stuck in ITLOL
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 1:37pm
@ James that's exactly what I'm saying.  Rap lyrics sound like somebody is just telling a story and yes some of those niccahs are fronting, never lived it but the underground does not lie!

@Trudawg I'm waiting for a black lawyer to take one of these cases to the Supreme Court and make American face her injustice.   I don't know if you got a chance to look at the thread I linked but this is my dream.  ( I messed up the link.  It should be: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/caste-system-the-war-on-drugs-the-new-jim-crow_topic336536_page1.html  )

Doing this could be huge if you ever get in a position.

Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

But the problem isn't the drugs, its the laws.  Laws designed the prey on drug use and distribution specifically in the black community.  Eliminating drugs from any community is as hard as eliminating drugs from the entire world.   Its a smokescreen.  The whole point is that America has and will continue to criminalize black 'living'.  This means that anything we do as a community while black could be used against us to incarcerate and kill us.  

this is the point.
during jim crow, they did the same with voting laws... blacks are poor because they were left with little more than farm jobs post slavery? OK poll tax. blacks were slaves 40 years ago? OK grandfather clause.

today it's blacks like crack? OK let's make the offense 100x that of the pure form.

in Philly the city can't make their own gun laws, the NRA heavily lobbies all levels of government and are perfectly fine with the captive audience they have in inner cities. The NRA is the reason the state of FL claims they didn't have a case against treyvon's murderer.

whites have consistently used unjust laws to make their immortality legal. Black people, when we've had successes they've been won through the legal process (both judiciary and legislative) . we need to go back to fighting fire with fire. we have so many great legal minds today, we just need some direction.

Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Great Post Melikey.  We need one black lawyer to fight a drug charge all the way to the Supreme Court.  Call it unconstitutional because it is effectively slavery.  Really good idea!  I wonder if the author has ever thought of this.  I don't know if she takes cases anymore but I remember one young lady standing up at one of her lectures saying she was so overwhelmed with cases of you black people being arrested for minor offenses that she hardly ever had time to DO anything about it.  

More research needed on this strategy but I love it!

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 12:37pm
That's awesome Tru

I wish I had the patience and focus to study law. My sister has a similar passion and she's graduating from her law school in 3 months

We talk about these issues all the time. I too wish I had like-minded people in my area I could link up with. Now that I think about it, my Black studies teachers at my old CC might be a good start

We really do have to do something in real time
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Tru,

Do you work in the social work field? If you don't, you should.

I wish I could get a job working for a non-profit. I hope to one day be able to lend my talents and passion to helping my people full-time

I am a lawyer, recently graduated and now pursuing a PhD in Justice Studies. My plan is to research and write about this in ways that will get EVERYONE's attention. I just feel like I need to have all my ducks (credentials) in a row before I can effectuate high-level change and be taken serious.
sh*t like this is the sole reason I went to law school. Before, I worked in the IT field, but simply got tired of not being able to help people. We MUST do something about this!!
gemini1591 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 12:20pm
It's really sad. Most black people have just given up or feel like it's not their problem cause it doesn't really affect them. I hate how some of us have been brainwashed into thinking we're somehow "different" or "not like the other ones".

The prison system is so pathetic. While some of these ppl have done extremely horrible crimes, a lot of them are being released back into the free world with even more limited opportunities than when they came in. There should be more programs to better assist with reentry but more importantly programs that can help with prevention.

I don't remember if I read it or saw it on tv but it was something that said back when jails and prisons were filled with mostly white men, they had a lot of programs to help them out. They had more freedom and even girlfriends could come for conjugal visits and they focused on rehabilitating them. When black men started to become the majority they started taking the programs away and giving prisoners less freedom
fckwitmeuknoigotit View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 12:12pm
The end of the Reagan Era, I'm like number twelver
Old enough to understand the sh*t'll change forever
They declared the war on drugs like a war on terror
But it really did was let the police terrorize whoever
But mostly black boys, but they would call us "Brotha Mans"
And lay us on our belly, while they fingers on they triggers
They boots was on our head, they dogs was on our crotches
And they would beat us up if we had diamonds on our watches
And they would take our drugs and money, as they pick our pockets
I guess that that's the privilege of policing for some profit
But thanks to Reaganomics, prisons turned to profits
Cause free labor is the cornerstone of US economics
Cause slavery was abolished, unless you are in prison
You think I am bullsh*tting, then read the 13th Amendment
Involuntary servitude and slavery it prohibits
That's why they giving drug offenders time in double digits

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 12:04pm
We have to wake up our black "middle class".  They have been rocked to sleep.  They have been "recruited" into that thinking that says its the fault of the boys and men and their families.  The idea that if blacks would just do x then y would happen.  Niccahs been saying this sh*t for years in the hood and nobody wants to listen to them.  Nobody respects what they have to say about what is happening to them.  They feel it everyday.  Black men who survived being locked up and losing their family and credibility coming back out to work low paying jobs and get on their feet just in time to watch their sons live the same cycle.  Live it everyday and our own just look at them like STFU and do what the yt man wants you to do and he'll let you live good. 

I'm completely outraged and tired as fck.  I need Black people in America to revolt at a very high level.  I mean sh*t that will have white people having conferences and sh*t on how to get us to put our money back into the economy. 

When I say the American economy is not only built on but STILL running off of our backs people look at me like I'm crazy. 
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 11:58am
Tru,

Do you work in the social work field? If you don't, you should.

I wish I could get a job working for a non-profit. I hope to one day be able to lend my talents and passion to helping my people full-time
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 11:56am
I wish I could put together a traveling convention with city stops in which we gather all the conscious minds to develop strategies and action items that are truly carried out in a strategic manner. I attend small meetings/gatherings where we identify the problems and maybe even possible solutions but lack the resources to implement them.

I do believe there is a mass amount of black people who are just lost, or just don't give a phuck. However I also believe that rising tides will lift all boats. Meaning that if WE (those conscious enough to do something about it) do the heavy lifting, everyone will benefit.

We need cells in all major metropolises around the nation that are ready and able to act!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic