BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Visiting Jamaica Soon? Ask a Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cocoa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visiting Jamaica Soon? Ask a Question
    Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Cocoa 2 yardies (Yardgirl and Pebbles) giving you differing opinions on Barrington Levy

Cry...I just want to say 'hi' and take a pic... Sumfest will be filled with groupies tho, i will not be able to meet any of the artists....*sigh*

Sponsored Links

Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 8:53pm
You WILL need a Cellphone In Jamaica, there are NO payphones NONE. 

There are two major cell phone companies in Jamaica used to be threeCry (eff you digicel)
Digicel (the Irish giant) and LIME (English Cable and Wireless- once the only BOSS in the arena)Both partner with the Major US networks so you can roam, but why? (See Below)

Pre-paid means you purchase credit/minutes to use the service and Post-paid means you get a bill after a month. Go with pre-paid - credit is available everywhere (gas stations, supermarkets, pharmacies, street vendors, on the beach, at your hotel) everyone and their mother sells creditSmile

1) Cellphone and cell service are Cheap.

Cellphones are available for as low as $25USD -$800 USD. SIM Cards are $6 USD. You can either purchase a dual-band or tri-band or Quad band GSM unlocked phone (Ebay/Amazon) in your home county capable of operating on the 900/1800/1900 MHz GSM band 
OR buy one when you get to Jamaica at the Digicel or LIME store
OR rent one from your hotel/private driver/cellphone rental shop (usually about $30 a week, some come with minutes others you have to buy credit)
OR you can pay $1.99USD a minute to Sprint/Cingular/t-mobile/MCI lols/At&t/Orange/Vodafone. [Captain Planet]The Power is YOURS!!! [/Captain Planet]

Island Phone Rentals http://islandphonerentals.com is located in the Montego Bay airport, pay online for the type of phone (only LIME)/package you need, give them your arrival info and as soon as you clear customs you'll see their desk and you can pick it up [It is always cheaper to buy a phone than rent]

Depending or service provider and plan it may be as low as $2.89 to $10.00 a minute to make within network calls. [Both providers have a pay for 5 mins get the next 55 minutes free plan, so you can chat all night with the Rent-a Dread, the Dealers store will advise you]
You can purchase credit for as low as $50-$2000JMD (on a $10.00 plan that is 5 mins-200mins on network callins)

To purchase a SIM you need ID, use your passport. 

2) You will not pay for incoming calls, texts (pay for 5 get the next 200 texts free) or to check voicemail on either network

3) Each carrier has an international plan (call unltd to US, CA, UK) much cheaper to call home
[Check-in with the kids, parents, job etc]

Digicel PREPAID call the USA, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India plus Spain and UK landlines

Plan     Cost (JMD)     Minutes   How to Subscribe
1000     $1000          600           Dial *134*1000#, SEND
1250     $1250          839           Dial *134*1250#, SEND
1500     $1000          1000         Dial *134*1500#, SEND

LIME PRE-Paid call China, India, USA, Canada and landlines in the UK and Spain

Plan                                 Cost (JMD)            Minutes   How to Subscribe
Worldpak 200 (7 days)         200                   90          *133*200#
Worldpak 900 (30 days)       900                  600          *133*900#
Worldpak 1200 (30 days)    1200                 800          *133*1200#   

4) Even without an International calling plan it's relatively cheap to call overseas.
$17.75 on Digicel (except Cuba, Haiti and a few others)
$2.89 or  8.39 on LIME (Depending on the plan you are on except Guyana, Haiti, Cuba) 

Check out the calling rates. phones, coverage(EVERYWHERE) etc etc http://www,digiceljamaica.com and http://time4lime.com

5) If you purchased a phone you can either leave it with whomever you choose or keep the phone for your next visit. You can transfer unused credit to anyone you please. IF you plan to become a frequent visitor keep the SIM and buy credit online or at your nearest Western Union /Money Gram once a month or so or just keep buying SIMs on your return.

TIP: While many Jamaicans have more than 1 cellphone (at last count i have 14 SIM cards, used to have 5 phones) The primary phone provider for the young and hip is Digicel, older and some well helled struggle free (rich) folks tend to have LIME. Now if you dont want the avg. yardie call-calling you tell them you have a LIME and watch them recoil in terror. LOL Its cheaper to call overseas than call another network with most prepaid plans

Edited by Diane (35) - Mar 12 2014 at 9:00pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 8:52pm
Why do Jamaicans carry 3-5 cell phones? Can they really use "one phone to call the other" as the politician said? Was that a hand cart man with an iPhone 4S?
Is L.A .Lewis, the president of the country or the leader of a Revolution, I see his name plastered everywhere? 
Are there any synagogues or mosques?
Is it ok to wear socks with sandals?
I'm YT how acceptable are those braids with beads, be honest?
What is the electricity/voltage cycle? I'm from Europe/UK do i need an adapter? 
Bob Marley is still alive, right, right?
Can i sunbathe topless, in the nude?
How much duty free liquor am I allowed? Are the vendors in Negril bothersome/aggressive? 
Why hasn't Diane answered half the questions in the OP? 
Where is _____ (fruit) this is what I came for, why is it nowhere to be found? 
What is "Soon Come" how many minutes does it truly amount to? Is Island time slower than CPT? 
Tell me a Jamaican curse word? 
How much, who, when should i tip and in what currency?
What is the best repellent for mosquitoes and sandflies?

Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 7:28pm
lol.. damn. Is he that bad?

Really, Diane? I woke up later that morning sounding like Bea Arthur, glands were swollen and im pretty sure imma need a hearing aid in 40 years lol
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 6:25pm
Cocoa 2 yardies (Yardgirl and Pebbles) giving you differing opinions on Barrington Levy
pebbles251 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pebbles251 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

Originally posted by Cocoa Cocoa wrote:

I want to meet Barrington Levy at Sumfest.  How do I make this happen?

He is so boss!

LOLLOLLOL tell us more

Ming that is his normal performance time, did he close the show? I remember being at Sting and sun blazzzzzzzzinggggg, people going to work, kids to school and still 4 MAJOR artists were left to performCryCry Aint nutten wrong with asking "the Doctor" for a pic.Smile

dont waste your time he isnt worth meeting.

I would tell you to head to Boston, Portland wayyyyyyyyyyyyy in the other end of the island. I'm gonna ask my Negril gf where the best jerk is and get back to you.

I can only drive past the former RitzC no stopping for me LLOL
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 11:08am
Diane, you's a damn foolLOLCryLOLCryLOLCry
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

Lmao... someone I was with called him Moses.. the look he gave Sumfest was fun, Lady Saw put on a show. Konshens, Elephant man, Cham, etc.. the only thing was the weed and those damn horns.

I looked it up, I think it was Coco la Palm, seaside. Since we were in Negril we met someone for drinks/ someone I went with was going to see her Jamaican bartender boo free drinks. He was rude as hell, I gave the sh*t back...Some old guy I was talking to, paid for mine. Friendly.

That little bich started singing loud with the band after, they were playing Bob Marley

the only thing was the weed and those damn hornLOLLOLs. CryCryCry

Interesting that you mentioned the weed because last year the Ministry of Health enacted a ban on public smoking and the patrons at Sumfest weren't pleased at all. The police were doing a haphazard job of enforcing the ban but it killed the vibe for most. Even Shaggy said "uhmm Sumfest= culture and part of the culture is smelling this culture, this is madness" LOL. I welcome that ish but i hate the smell of weed.

Ohhhhhhh i see a bartender lolol, bitchassness plus off key singing tooLOLLOL
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 10:44am
Lmao... someone I was with called him Moses.. the look he gave Sumfest was fun, Lady Saw put on a show. Konshens, Elephant man, Cham, etc.. the only thing was the weed and those damn horns.

I looked it up, I think it was Coco la Palm, seaside. Since we were in Negril we met someone for drinks/ someone I went with was going to see her Jamaican bartender boo free drinks. He was rude as hell, I gave the sh*t back...Some old guy I was talking to, paid for mine. Friendly.

That little bich started singing loud with the band after, they were playing Bob Marley

Edited by Ming - Mar 12 2014 at 10:46am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

You know he closed the show. Lol.. I know Diane. I said it jokingly even though id been there since 9:30 the night before. Sun was shinning when we got back to the hotel, about 7am. He was very polite, we didn't harass him lol. We were the only ones in the hotel lobby who asked for a pic/autograph

We went to a hotel in Negril... coco something. It was pretty, we were at the bar on the beach. This drunk man was tryna talk to me, telling me he was in jail for chopping off someone's head and I should watch myself. In typical Brooklyn fashion I told him to get the fck up out my face

I never thought you were really upset or acting crazy over Moses Davis no man. How did you like Sumfest?

Coco La Palm? Was breakfast included? Proper way to deal with them foolsDeadDead i bet he took himself away after you said that.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic