Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Did Your Mom Give Your Hair a Chance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
laredbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laredbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Your Mom Give Your Hair a Chance?
    Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 8:56pm
My grandmother was the person who really took care of my hair. She would spray it with water before detangling and stayed washing my hair weekly with some mane n tails! But my mom honestly was lazy. She started to perm my hair when I was about 8 years old. My hair was okay at first but looking back at my school pictures my hair got shorter and thinner every year.

But now I'm alllllll natural and loving it! I get compliments just about every day about how thick my hair is! 

My future daughters will never get a perm! That sh*t is the devil. 
Sponsored Links

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

no she didn't.  She never did my hair bc I was nappy and tender headed.  Family members would do it but complain the whole time.  They relaxed me at like 9 but didn't keep up w it so it broke off and I stayed braided until high school...by then I had a lot of growth but didn't know how to manage it so I kept relaxing. So yeah, no chance to flourish.
Sounds like my mom. She would go months and months without touching up so my hair was always breaking off.  She also dyed my hair starting as young as 7 or 8 because she liked the color it changed to in the summer.  I know now that the color was extreme heat damage. Cry

damn!  how did you get your hair to recover?

uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 5:44pm
My mom permed my hair at 5.  She didn't know how to maintain natural or relaxed hair.  It was a hot mess.  The damage was never obvious because my hair is so thick, but still.  She's natural too now.
kkscottdale View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kkscottdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 5:29pm
I have PTSD from my mom doing my hair.

I been relaxed since I think about 5. My hair never grew pass my ears. 

My issue with her was when she would WASH my hair. She never wanted to wash it in the sink, instead in the bathtub with my face up. I now call the practice waterboarding like they do terrorists. I was so scared that one time I ran out of the bathroom butt naked and everyone saw me yelling and screaming in the house. They were all like wtf she yelling for, but all I could say is "please don't make me go back in there!". 

She wears her hair short and natural now and I'm in twists lol
Princess_S View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Princess_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

There WERE no relaxers on the market when I was young. My mother used a hot comb.

I think they came along when I was in highschool .. maybe 15 or 16 and my mother had our hair relaxed.

After about a year or so I got sock of it ... I went to to barber and had it cut off to a twa and there it stayed for 30 some years.

I knew from the beginning the relaxer was bad ... kept leaving sores in my head, breaking off my hair. A mess.

Dammmnnnnnnnnnnn
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 3:27pm
Yeah she did.  I was natural until the age of 9 and I succumbed to bullying because my hair was "nappy". 
Qualified View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Qualified Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 3:14pm
Yes she did. I went to an ol school beautician who had to be in her mid-late 50's when I was 3. This old lady's name was Willie B. Kept my hair healthy until I graduated from high school. Permed or unpermed Willie B, kept that ish laid. It wasnt until I started experimenting with micros, and the devil named BROWN GEL AND PUMP-it-UP, that my hair began to take a sharp turn for the left. We got it together now though. Come to think of it, I ought to contact the manufacture for pump it up and start a class action law suit in the name of all the fallen edges and center crown parts of black women's hair across the world!
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 2:49pm
There WERE no relaxers on the market when I was young. My mother used a hot comb.

I think they came along when I was in highschool .. maybe 15 or 16 and my mother had our hair relaxed.

After about a year or so I got sock of it ... I went to to barber and had it cut off to a twa and there it stayed for 30 some years.

I knew from the beginning the relaxer was bad ... kept leaving sores in my head, breaking off my hair. A mess.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jan 13 2014 at 2:52pm
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:41am
Not at f*cking all.

I have no clue why (and I mean to ask her) but my mother just kept chopping my hair off.  She refused to let me grow it, and anytime I complained about it, and said I wanted long hair, she'd shame me by claiming I must want to be White because I'm looking for long hair.

She had me believing, for years, that Black women couldn't grow their own long, natural hair unless they were doing it (without cutting) from birth, or unless they were mixed.

When she did do my hair, she used to take her frustrations on her bad days at work out on my scalp, so I have bad memories of sitting on the step beneath her while she tugged, yanked, pulled, and had me in tears.  Don't even get me started on the hotcomb, and the tips of my ears being singed. Sleepy

Edited by CLCNY20 - Jan 13 2014 at 7:00pm
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:33am
My natural pictures of my hair when I was young looked great. Then I think I got a relaxer when I was 5.. Sleepy

My mom said all we did was cry when she would do our hair, so she put a relaxer in. She did not even have a relaxer, so of course she did not know how to take care of it.

All I remember is pink lotion and PCJ perm boxes.

When we moved from Houston to Dallas, a lady did a jericurl on my hair before my second grade school pictures. That was all she wrote. My hair went on instant decline mode.

black glue quick weaves Dead, tight ponytails etc.

My hair was a mess until college..Then I began buns and sew ins.
Then I found out about the hair boards in 2007.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>