Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Karrine Steffans says shes not African American
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Karrine Steffans says shes not African American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 6:48pm
Great thread Smile
Sponsored Links

GG View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote GG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 6:51pm
I honestly don't like the things that some people apply to me when I say I'm Jamaican. It's a lot of this "you must be good in bed" nonsense. Some dudes are so f*ckin dumb.
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 6:55pm
We haven't had a thread like this one BHM for a long while used to be rather popular back in the day. Im surprised it's civil and hasn't turned into a AA vs WI Vs African fight. Proud of you all. Approve
Now now GG you know the Jamaican men have the big bamboo and the stamina that's out of this world. and Yard girls know how to bruck buddyErmm

I like how someone phrased it as "sibling rivalry"
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by GG GG wrote:

I honestly don't like the things that some people apply to me when I say I'm Jamaican. It's a lot of this "you must be good in bed" nonsense. Some dudes are so f*ckin dumb.

They have some type of sexual stereotype for everyone. I have gotten the same foolishness for being light skinned.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

They have some type of sexual stereotype for everyone. I have gotten the same foolishness for being light skinned.

my friend used to tell me that light skinned girls are sexualized early.  i never hear people speak on it.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

<font "#996600"""="" color="">I know for sure if i was in T&T for example, got mistaken for Trinidadian, and i had the opportunity to say Im not, i would....
so it doesnt matter if its US, Europe, etc...i dont want to be mistaken for what im not....
i dont think the Belizean was being extra or wanted to offend anyone.

when i was in europe this guy asked me where i was from and i said america and he so no your not american youre  from afrique.  i smiled and took it. hell i was proud.  no ones ever said that to me before.

i would have been annoyed that he had the nerve to ask me then correct me as if he knew me. Also, he probably has the idea that "only whites can be american".<----- I hate that sht Sleepy
SN: not to sht on ur proud moment that is Embarrassed

What's funny about that, though, is that he wasn't trying to compliment you. Lots of Europeans (especially France) think of AAs in more flattering terms than Africans or West Indians. That is definitely the case in France. By telling you that no you're from Afrique, he was actually trying to knock you down a peg.
The French think of AA's as westernized blacks, as more white than black, actually.

girl i get it but you cant knock me by calling me african...ever

JP is correct. That guy was (maybe) trying to say you are really African which would be completely different than being AA.

This is because most of Africa has 'Developing' countries so when people from various (especially French-speaking) African countries live in Europe (France) they are trying to escape poverty etc and build a better life for themselves.

But being AA (it's not so much that they consider you White) as that they consider you 'Westernized' and being from America they know you are not in Europe ... because you are fleeing poverty etc.

Maybe that guy was trying insult you or maybe he just didn't know any different. He may have been thinking ... anything. :(

Geesh, I have come across so many Europeans from any of these 45 (White) EU countries that are 'confused' when I say I am from America.

Sometimes they are quite clear and sometimes they will say 'South America'? And I have to say 'No, the Obama America'. I don't take offense though. There are sooooo many people of color from all over the world living over here ... each with their own story about their heritage.

You can't expect any random White person you meet to be able to navigate all these 'nationality' landmines.

I mix up White people too. :) I get their countries of origin confused and they give me that p**** off look like 'another dumb American' :( but I can't keep up with all these different White folks either. Ever call an Ukrainian a Russian? They will get p**** at you because there is some nasty history there - but they are both White so... :)
GG View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:05pm
Just silliness
Peace and love is all we need people!
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:17pm
My husband from trini agrees with karrine omg. I asked him if they were paid a fair wage to work the sugar cane fields? He looked at me like   
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

Basically !

I'm from Santiago de Cuba and they women are supposed to be the hottest ... Havana women have nothing on us.... the things I've heard about Afro Latina women are their sexuality are crazy
.... We supposed to be hot because if that African and Spanish blood.
Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Yardgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

That's what I always understood the AA designation to be, meaning blacks of American nationality who have been there for generations. Wasn't that intended as the original meaning?

That's always been my understanding. So even a black person from another country, who got citizenship...I wouldn't expect to identify themself as AA

Generations of Caribbean folk still dont identify as AA despite having citizenship and living and working in the US for decades

Yeah. It's a simple matter really. Race, nationality, and heritage/culture can be completely distinct things. What do I say about a white classmate from high school who has French-Canadian ancestry, grew up here in Jamaica but now lives in California and has US citizenship? 

I'm too old and too thoroughly Jamaican to go anywhere and claim anything else. I can be a citizen of another country, surely, but I'll only ever be Jamaican. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>
  Share Topic