Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Belle (trailer)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Missvw View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belle (trailer)
    Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 8:04am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Yawn...
Sponsored Links

Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 1:09am
Oh okay. I thought you were saying the the film itself lacked a real purpose. Not the abusive aspects of the film.

I disagree with that critique too, fwiw. I think it's painfully obvious why the abuse of black women was and should have been highlighted. But we can agree to disagree.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 1:07am
Highlighting the excessive abuse of bw in that film had no real purpose, not the film itself
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 1:01am
You can compare the films. Contrast is good. So is critique. But you said one of the films didn't have a purpose and that's where you're being challenged. 12 Years clearly did have a purpose and the purpose is different than the purpose of the other film. Both are important. People, not just you, don't have to dismiss one thing as devoid of purpose to validate something else.

Not sure how you get "don't critique and dont compare" from that. *shrugs*

Edited by Random Thoughts - Oct 16 2014 at 1:03am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 12:58am
I think you're getting ahead of my original post tbh

Comparing doesn't infer that one film shouldn't have been made at all, rather it could have been made to be less problematic

I didn't appreciate 12 Years a Slave like I thought I would. I don't see why I shouldn't state that simply because some people saw it in a different light than I

But if you don't want to compare films, that's great for you

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

lol @ tear down

It's called critique

You know, I was about ready to give up all media because the images of Black people are so horrible and I didn't want to support any of it. But then I realized, just because I give it up doesn't mean other people will stop watching and stop being affected by it

I think it's incredibly important that not only should Black people critique images of ourselves (especially "historical" films) but we should be more aggressive in trying to get representation right. Not necessarily accurate but right, as in going in the right direction

Critique is important. But it's important to remember that various kinds of representations are what's needed because they have different purposes, different lasting impressions, different talking points, different emotions to digest. And when you contrast two important films and say one "has no purpose" and liken it to p.orn while praising the other film then that's why people will respond and say there is purpose for BOTH representations. The ugly, harsh, graphic, depressing depiction and the non abusive, affirming, feel good depiction.

There is room for both. The sweetness of grapes and the acidity of oranges.
Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 12:47am
Yep.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 12:40am
No I haven't bored, that's the one Gugu is starring in right?

I'm gonna wait for a link
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 12:30am
Alias, have you saw Beyond the Lights yet?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

lol @ tear down

It's called critique

You know, I was about ready to give up all media because the images of Black people are so horrible and I didn't want to support any of it. But then I realized, just because I give it up doesn't mean other people will stop watching and stop being affected by it

I think it's incredibly important that not only should Black people critique images of ourselves (especially "historical" films) but we should be more aggressive in trying to get representation right. Not necessarily accurate but right, as in going in the right direction

Critique is important. But it's important to remember that various kinds of representations are what's needed because they have different purposes, different lasting impressions, different talking points, different emotions to digest. And when you contrast two important films and say one "has no purpose" and liken it to p.orn while praising the other film then that's why people will respond and say there is purpose for BOTH representations. The ugly, harsh, graphic, depressing depiction and the non abusive, affirming, feel good depiction.

There is room for both. The sweetness of grapes and the acidity of oranges.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Oct 16 2014 at 12:21am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 11:59pm
Wasn't there another movie named Belle starring a biracial Girl who is a singer coming of age type of movie?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic