FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedGoodbye to my American Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye to my American Dream
    Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

that is not the explicit social structure in their home countries. Their government officials look and sounded like them. Their culture was reflected to them everywhere they went. It wasn't one world inside of another like it is here. 

I don't know how this got so long. I guess I understand both sides being West Indian and American.

The underlined Star. I wake up I see black people, i go to the grocery store/turn on tv i see black people. I once posted that BHM made me wanna interact with YT people to see if all the rumours are true and if they smell like lemon scented pine sol LOL. I only see them at my gym. American or European YTs not Jamaican whites or red naygas or "brown" or the mixed race uptowners.

I liked what she said because i understood it just as Miss B explained and uppity mentioned.

ETA Kfoxx the everyday slangs not heard on mainstream tele I learned here. Cable, rap, the Black movies of the 1990s, black comedy special and sitcoms exposed me to AAVE/ebonics. I think I could sound American and authentically so if I was around y'all for say 2-3 months. (don't know one say a word about some of my countrymen who go abroad one time and start "twanging"LOL

I wanted to ask about the phrase "turned up" I heard Kevin Hart with it on BET awards and seen it on BHM. But where does it come from? what does it mean exactly! Jamaican say "tun up" and have been saying that one for about 3-4 years now. Eg. How is the party? ans; De ting "tun Up'/ tun up LOUD tun up till it buck etc etc Meaning it was a whale of a good time, it looks lovely, it's CRUNK, it is very very nice/hype/extravagant.

Edited by Diane (35) - Jul 28 2013 at 2:35pm
Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I get it. I rarely saw aa's embrace other black immigrants unless they were light and exotic. I get why they don't always run to the arms of aa's

I understand what you're saying.  My experience has been the different and I have interacted closely with several black immigrant families. Thinking about the conversation we've been having on BHM about language and specifically AAVA I'm realizing that understanding and speaking our language is huge. I'm specifically talking about understanding the way we speak, not necessarily being completely fluent in Ebonics.  The other thing I recall is that their mothers and our mothers were friends.  So their mother was another accepted person in my mother's circle of friends and the only thing that seemed different about them was my little ears could hear that their mom "talked funny" but they were using words in the same way my mother did.  They knew how to speak in our "secret way" that made them seem no different from my mom.

I'm rambling a little but I'm trying to say I suspect her mother didn't have a lot of actual AA women in her social circle so she didn't really meet many AAs while she was growing up.  That matters a lot because I think we can tell when someone isn't familiar with "us".

I am guilty of placing a few people outside of that dynamic as "a white girl with black skin".   Even some from the suburbs who only ever had yt people in their circle of community.  I have tried to relate but found that we had zero in common and the trust just never happened.  When we reach a certain age it is either there or it isn't.  Maybe this creates an insurmountable barrier but I believe that is our culture and I'm not really mad at it.  BHM is a good example.   Diane was saying how she learned what we called Ebonics by being a part of this community.  Coming to the US now she would easily blend in and be able to communicate with AAs fluently and she would just be like any other friend.  Without that both she and we might be confused trying to get to know each other as adults.  That would be sad because Diane seems very funny and very sweet.  

I hope I'm making sense but I guess I'm trying to say is how "community" influences this dynamic.  Maybe just one of many parts but I think it may be a big part of it.   
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

I didn't interpret anything in that girl's story about seeking acceptance from whites.  I saw it as a story of an immigrant who achieved the "dream" but never felt at home because she didn't relate to whites or Black Americans.

I guess I coulda just said this instead....

I was just too lazy to post what you said. LOL 

What she described is a common black immigrant experience, the story of my life basically. 

Me too. Hug

That plus being a third-culture-kid made life interesting.

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:12pm
America only has whites and AAs?
I'm sure if she tried she could fit in somewhere. 

nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:12pm
I get it. I rarely saw aa's embrace other black immigrants unless they were light and exotic. I get why they don't always run to the arms of aa's
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

she's not a child.  she's grown....

She's a grown woman talking about her childhood in what was most likely predominately white neighborhoods. 
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:03pm
she's not a child.  she's grown....
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

I didn't interpret anything in that girl's story about seeking acceptance from whites.  I saw it as a story of an immigrant who achieved the "dream" but never felt at home because she didn't relate to whites or Black Americans.

well...it's not as if she is showcasing her attempts at any point (during the article or her responses) to intermingle with aa's, is it?   but she sure spoke of being thrown out of her yt besties house simply for being black (or was it her yt bestie being yanked out of her house by her racists parents...either way...same shyt).  she spoke about her yt bf's family not accepting her.  it's clear her american dream order included a yt bestie,  yt bf, yt world...no aa's, please.

this article could have been condensed down to a couple of sentences... 1 paragraph tops if she was simply making the point that she came here worked hard got an education and left because she was unable to "relate" to yt or black americans ....ummm...yeah...

I was the only black student in my elementary school.  The only one in the vast majority in most of my high school classes.  So if I were to write an essay about the awkwardness I experienced attempting to relate to whites during that time, it would be a stretch for someone to perceive me as uninterested in mingling with Black Americans or trying to gain acceptance from whites. 

Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

EmbarrassedHeart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:44pm

well...it's not as if she is showcasing her attempts at any point (during the article or her responses) to intermingle with aa's, is it?   but she sure spoke of being thrown out of her yt besties house simply for being black (or was it her yt bestie being yanked out of her house by her racists parents...either way...same shyt).  she spoke about her yt bf's family not accepting her.  it's clear her american dream order included a yt bestie,  yt bf, yt world...no aa's, please.

this article could have been condensed down to a couple of sentences... 1 paragraph tops if she was simply making the point that she came here worked hard got an education and left because she was unable to "relate" to yt or black americans ....ummm...yeah...
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic