Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Angelina Jolie reveals she had double mastectomy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedAngelina Jolie reveals she had double mastectomy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Angelina Jolie reveals she had double mastectomy
    Posted: May 27 2013 at 1:52pm
A story just came out that her aunt just died of it. Maybe it was posted already. She made the right decision

Angelina Jolie's Aunt Dies Of Breast Cancer Days After Op-ed

Angelina-Jolie-Covers-TIME-Magazine

ESCONDIDO, Calif. -- Less than two weeks after Angelina Jolie revealed she'd had a double mastectomy to avoid breast cancer, her aunt died from the disease Sunday.

Debbie Martin died at age 61 at a hospital in Escondido, Calif., near San Diego, her husband, Ron Martin, told The Associated Press.

Debbie Martin was the younger sister of Jolie's mother, Marcheline Bertrand, whose own death from ovarian cancer in 2007 inspired the surgery that Jolie described in a May 14 op-ed in the New York Times.

According to her husband, Debbie Martin had the same defective BRCA1 gene that Jolie does, but didn't know it until after her 2004 cancer diagnosis.

"Had we known, we certainly would have done exactly what Angelina did," Ron Martin said in a phone interview.

Debbie Martin's death was first reported by E! News.

Ron Martin said after getting breast cancer, Debbie Martin had her ovaries removed preventively because she was also at very high genetic risk for ovarian cancer, which has killed several women in her family.

The 37-year-old Jolie said in her op-ed that her doctors estimated that she had a 50 percent risk of getting ovarian cancer but an 87 percent risk of breast cancer.

She had her breasts removed first, reducing her likelihood to a mere 5 percent.

She described the three-step surgical process in detail in the op-ed "because I hope that other women can benefit from my experience."

The story, a surprise to most save those closest to Jolie, spurred a broad discussion of genetic testing and pre-emptive surgery.

A message left with representatives seeking comment from Jolie was not immediately returned.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - May 27 2013 at 1:53pm
Sponsored Links

Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 1:35pm
If I had an 85% chance of breast cancer, I'd chop my breasts off myself, no questions asked. I'm choosing life, and I'm definitely not going to sit around worrying every 6 months when I have my mammograms - especially if I had children. Heck, if my image is that serious, I'd pop some implants in and be on my way to he nearest beach alive, healthy, and full of saline LOL.

My step dad was just diagnosed with cancer again  (he had prostate cancer 5 years ago, and he was just diagnosed with colon cancer last week).

No thank you.
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 11:41am
That qould put me in shock.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 11:17am
i truly wonder if this procedure really works the way they think it does....it'll be interesting to see comparative cancer rates in 10-20% years
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 11:08am

Aunt dies of breast cancer

Angelina Jolie's uncle Ron Martin says his wife Debbie had the same defective gene that Jolie does, but didn't know until after her cancer diagnosis.
Angelina Jolie's aunt has died of breast cancer, it was reported, less than two weeks after the Oscar-winning actress announced that she had undergone a preventative double mastectomy.

The Hollywood entertainment website E! News on Sunday cited Jolie's uncle, Ron Martin, as saying that his wife, Debbie - the younger sister of Jolie's late mother - died early on Sunday at Palomar Hospital in Escondido, California.

Edited by SoutherNtellect - May 27 2013 at 11:23am
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 3:49am
rayrayxox View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

I don't remember her boobies being that great
when she was Lara croft boys were slaving over her body including her boobies

Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

She taking her ovaries out too
that sends you into sudden menopause
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

you don't need your boobs if you've had kids... kudos to her! 

NO!
yes!

It's stupid to put vanity before your life...Since when does loosing your breasts decrease your life! As i said it's not a vital organ!

If no man wants you because of your chest he isn't for you! 

what if she wanted to have more kids? I wouldn't consider having breast a vanity, it is part of you. I guess I maybe too sensitive to this issue, because it's personal for meOuch
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

so, producing milk/food for ones offspring is like meh?  lol...ok.

anyway, i was actually responding to the general statement that seemed to imply (to me, at least, anyway) that breasts are somewhat irrelevent when it comes to child birth.   obviously, breasts inflicted with current and/or most certain impending disease would be another matter...

Actually I was only thinking about the ovaries/uterus/controception aspect of childbirth...I forgot about breastfeeding which is funny b/c I did it for both kids and I'm a strong advocate for breast milk being the best milk for babies.  You are right TC!Tongue
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic