FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Natural hair staples?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>

Author
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural hair staples?
    Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 11:17am
^^Sometimes less is more! And often times a lot of the higher priced products have fillers in them and are really just overpriced versions of either cheapie brands or things you could easily make yourself. I found that my hair prefers all natural products over items loaded with impossible to pronounce ingredients.

Not only is it cheaper, but my hair never gives me a bad twist out or feels dry, brittle or weighed down with product like it would when I was using store brands. Literally the only product I use that isn't either 100% natural or made by me is my Terressentials mud wash.
Sponsored Links

Nicky6253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nicky6253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 9:38am
My hair is weird . I found that splurging(sp?) on high quality products do nothing for my hair but break it off . I've started using inexpensive products such as the V05 conditioners mixed in a spray bottle with water , Garlic shampoo, Africa's best hair oils, and lekair cholesterol does wonders for my hair. Little to NO breakage. I could literally just go shop in family dollar for my hair care products with no problem but its also weird because I WANT to treat my hair to the highest quality possible and it fights me back like "just No" lol
moonglow_diva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonglow_diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

What's in your stash that you would recommend to a new natural?

Tools, oils, moisturizers, sealants, commercial products?

What products can't you do without?

I recommend Giovanni Direct leave-in, A Denman brush, patience, lot of thick conditioners to detangle, water, patience, learn how to braid, do flat twist, and two strand twist, patience, have fun with it and most importantly be patience. Hair grows but a watch pot never boils. So give up doing periodic length checks and enjoy the journey.

The product that I can't do without are baking soda. I do not shampoo my hair with conventional shampoos because I have serious porosity issues and I have found that baking soda does what I need it to do. I also use ACV because baking soda has a ph of about 8 or 9 and the ACV brings the porosity back down. Does it change my curl pattern? Yes over time but it is really nothing to talk about.

Grace & Blessings,
~ Moonglow

modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2013 at 3:20pm
Coconut oil
my homemade shea/mango butter mix
liquid gold scalp oil
hairfinity (just bought a 6mo supply)
garlic pills to prevent shedding
water/aloe vera juice moisturizing spritz
drinking plenty of water
gym time (not only is it some of the only "me" time I get, but it does wonders for your body overall!)

ETA:

Terressentials mud wash. I have it in the mint scent and it cleans as well as helps to easily detangle.
Wide tooth comb - but I only comb my hair when damp and when detangling for a wash day.
Henna rinses every other month usually
Homemade flaxseed gel (when I wear my hair out it gives me an amazing 4 day hold on my twist outs)

For me less is more, and I try to put only all natural products on my actual hair and my hair responds best to that vs store bought items.

Edited by modelbusiness82 - Jan 10 2013 at 3:25pm
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

Just got my oils in the mail from http://camdengrey.com! Took long enough.

A pound each of sweet almond, castor, olive, avocado and grapeseed, and 4 oz each of jojoba and tea tree.

All the carrier oils came in plastic bottles and the tea tree cam in an amber glass bottle. Can't wait to try them!
Good for you lady! To keep your oils full of nutrients, keep them inside a closet or drawer.  Light weakens your oils. Try not to leave inside your bathroom, because our bathrooms tend to get a little warm. For your oils that came in a plastic bottle you can take some duct tape and cover the outside of the bottle, this will keep light from getting through to the oils. Light, air and heat weaken your oils.....Have fun!

Thanks! Yeah they're in my drawer now. That tea tree is strong! I could smell it before I even opened it. I will be trying them once I finish my yarn braids.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 8:55pm

A pound each of sweet almond, castor, olive, avocado and grapeseed, and 4 oz each of jojoba and tea tree.

All the carrier oils came in plastic bottles and the tea tree cam in an amber glass bottle. Can't wait to try them!
Good for you lady! To keep your oils full of nutrients, keep them inside a closet or drawer.  Light weakens your oils. Try not to leave inside your bathroom, because our bathrooms tend to get a little warm. For your oils that came in a plastic bottle you can take some duct tape and cover the outside of the bottle, this will keep light from getting through to the oils. Light, air and heat weaken your oils.....Have fun!
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 7:02pm

Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 12:49am
I may have gone a little overboard today. Let's see *looks through drawers*

I got another jar of Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer by accident. I thought the one I had already was the leave in because they changed the packaging on me. Ah well. I got the One n' Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask a poster recommended on the first page (thanks!). I got the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie and also the Hold and Shine Moisture Mist.  I got the LeKair Carrot Oil Cholesterol Creme, ORS Carrot Oil, Elasta QP DPR-11, Elasta QP Soy Oyl (they both have mineral oil/petroleum but the DPR-11 was recommended so I figured I may as well try the other one), some 3/4 inch and 7/8 inch bendable rods, Lottabody setting lotion, another spray bottle for it, some end papers, some more applicator bottles for my oils which are set to arrive tomorrow, and a soft bonnet hair dryer. Woo! I am pretty much done now, that's the good news. I still need a hair vitamin and a hair steamer. But no more bulk purchases for me. These should last quite a while.
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 2:22pm
Hey tatee!

thanks for all of your suggestions! hell, i'm usually taking some SERIOUS notes whenever you post.

Edited by femmemuscleisback - Jan 06 2013 at 2:22pm
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 3:54pm
dp

Edited by SweetNovember* - Jan 04 2013 at 3:55pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>