Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Products > Hair Gels, Oils, etc.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Is virgin coconut oil supposed to smell?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
katakana89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katakana89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is virgin coconut oil supposed to smell?
    Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 12:43pm
I agree with all of this. 

I also made the mistake of buying normal coconut oil. It lacked a scent and didn't do much at all for me.

Now I use organic evco and my hair and skin loves it. I use it as a moisturizer after washing my face, on my scalp, on my hair. It has a very strong scent, but doesn't last much. It will enhance the nutty smell if mixed with shea butter, which I also use it for. I like to put some of it in a separate bottle and use that to heat under running warm water before using. It's easier to use/apply than the original jar, since it solidifies all the time, and I don't like being heavy handed.

Originally posted by MissAnnaMC MissAnnaMC wrote:

Yep it's better. My nan makes my coconut oil from scratch and it smells strongly like raw coconut, I love it. 
I can guarantee it's 100% pure and there was no hidden things added or over processing so i'd say the stronger the smell the better
Sponsored Links

MissAnnaMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissAnnaMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2013 at 9:19am
Yep it's better. My nan makes my coconut oil from scratch and it smells strongly like raw coconut, I love it. 
I can guarantee it's 100% pure and there was no hidden things added or over processing so i'd say the stronger the smell the better
hairfanatic501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfanatic501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 7:37pm
Yea virgin coconut oil is white and has a strong coconut smell. It works well on my hair also. 

Edited by hairfanatic501 - Dec 05 2012 at 7:39pm
Aerie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by RedSoxtober RedSoxtober wrote:

In my experience, virgin coconut oil is better. I made the mistake of buying a jar of CO once that wasn't virgin and it was awful for me. It smelled bad, made my hair break off and made my skin look terrible.  Of course what didn't work for me, could work for you.
Thanks! So far so good, I've been using it on my hair daily, and my skin. 

I noticed that after my cowash and DC yesterday, all I put on my slightly wet hair was the virgin coconut oil, and today my hair still feels moisturized. I've gone the whole day with out putting a single thing in my hair. My braids were smoother too, and the hair retained the pattern from it much better.
RedSoxtober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 12:08am
In my experience, virgin coconut oil is better. I made the mistake of buying a jar of CO once that wasn't virgin and it was awful for me. It smelled bad, made my hair break off and made my skin look terrible.  Of course what didn't work for me, could work for you.
Aerie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:05pm
I bought some virgin coconut oil from the grocery store, it's suitable for skin and hair as well cooking. 

One thing I noticed was that it was far whiter than other coconut oil I'd purchase before, which wasn't virgin. 
Also, the smell. This virgin one smells strongly like coconuts, the other one smelled nothing like coconuts. 

Is this a sign that it's better quality? I just want to be sure. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic