Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Whats wrong with my hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Bootiful Cream

Author
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats wrong with my hair?
    Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 9:31am
Originally posted by onthewaytoWL onthewaytoWL wrote:

OP, I'm a newbie here but if I may:

Water binds to the protein structure and fibers of the hair and therefore, in the case of natural hair especially, moisture is extremely important. Curly hair types are generally more porous and can soak up and retain moisture (and anything else), hence the tendency of the curly hair types to shrink when faced with humidity. 

Outside factors (ie. styling methods, chlorine, chemicals/color) are what leech moisture from hair and place us in a position to have  to ensure that we replace the moisture. Of course, besides lifestyle, the degree of curliness will also affect moisturization needs. 

The problem is that dry hair does not have the elasticity that moist hair has. Therein lies the danger of skipping moisturization altogether, especially if you like to style your hair. Poor elasticity is the perfect set-up for hair breakage. 

To answer your most recent question, since curly hair tends to be porous, whatever you are putting in it, in addition to oils is also being absorbed and that could be part of the issue with why your hair is not keeping its luster from one day to the next. 

agreed!
Sponsored Links

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by lalaLeslie lalaLeslie wrote:

No, I've never tried those. 
I use a cream and oil to moisturize my hair after I wash/co-wash or spray with a water bottle. 
I could just be being paranoid, because I always hear that dry hair = breakage but my hair isn't crunchy, like, it's still kind of soft, but it doesn't look all shiny and bouncy(I suppose) as when I first do it, so basically my question how do I keep it that way? It's not like completely dry like it feels like a yellow piece of dead grass, but it's not how it looks after I moisturized it in the morning. I was doing some research, and I see girls using the eco styler gel, maybe that's how they get it to stay that way?

Also, I cannot wait for it to grow longer, because I do feel like it'll look better. I tried to wear my hair out today and some girl told me I didn't comb the back out enough. I tried but the curls in the back are super tight, so basically the front was sticking high up and so the little fro I tried to pull off today didn't work =[
Aww, not the misshapen fro. It happens to the best of us.LOL
Try twisting your hair the night before in big twists to stretch out your hair before wearing a fro. The next morning, undo them and your hair should be stretched. All you have to do is pat & shape it into a cute shape. That way you don't have to try getting a comb through dry hair.

Depending on how our hair strands bend and curl, light may not be able to reflect off of the surface giving it a 'dull' look. That might be a reason why your hair doesn't look shiny. Kinky/curly hair does not always shine but it is still quite healthy and soft like you have found out with your hair. You can try using oil to give a little shine but it doesn't always work.

Gel usually locks the pattern in but not softness or bounciness. In order for my hair to bounce, it has to be soaked with water. Once it dries after moisturizing,sealing and styling it does not bounce but it is not dry/breaking either.
onthewaytoWL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onthewaytoWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 9:45pm
OP, I'm a newbie here but if I may:

Water binds to the protein structure and fibers of the hair and therefore, in the case of natural hair especially, moisture is extremely important. Curly hair types are generally more porous and can soak up and retain moisture (and anything else), hence the tendency of the curly hair types to shrink when faced with humidity. 

Outside factors (ie. styling methods, chlorine, chemicals/color) are what leech moisture from hair and place us in a position to have  to ensure that we replace the moisture. Of course, besides lifestyle, the degree of curliness will also affect moisturization needs. 

The problem is that dry hair does not have the elasticity that moist hair has. Therein lies the danger of skipping moisturization altogether, especially if you like to style your hair. Poor elasticity is the perfect set-up for hair breakage. 

To answer your most recent question, since curly hair tends to be porous, whatever you are putting in it, in addition to oils is also being absorbed and that could be part of the issue with why your hair is not keeping its luster from one day to the next. 
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by littlebabybug littlebabybug wrote:

Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Have you tried Care Free Curl Gold activator or S-Curl activator for moisture?

Daily moisturizing + sealing with an oil like extra virgin olive oil or butter like shea on damp hair should help.

When my hair was still short, I use to moisturize and seal on damp hair, then twist in chunky twists most nights to help combat dryness. It really helps get rid of that crunchy feel.

If it helps, the differing hair patterns will start to blend in as your hair grows out. It'll also get easier to blend the patterns together. It'll just take a little time.Thumbs Up

I use a cream and oil to moisturize my hair after I wash/co-wash or spray with a water bottle. 
I could just be being paranoid, because I always hear that dry hair = breakage but my hair isn't crunchy, like, it's still kind of soft, but it doesn't look all shiny and bouncy(I suppose) as when I first do it, so basically my question how do I keep it that way? It's not like completely dry like it feels like a yellow piece of dead grass, but it's not how it looks after I moisturized it in the morning. I was doing some research, and I see girls using the eco styler gel, maybe that's how they get it to stay that way?

Also, I cannot wait for it to grow longer, because I do feel like it'll look better. I tried to wear my hair out today and some girl told me I didn't comb the back out enough. I tried but the curls in the back are super tight, so basically the front was sticking high up and so the little fro I tried to pull off today didn't work =[

in my experience, dry hair is only a problem when you actually are manipulating your hair. if your hair is dry but you're not touching it while it's dry, then how can it break? i wouldn't worry about the moisture thing, personally. i never moisturize my hair, and here's a picture of it: 
my hair's always grown fine without me regularly "watering" it, as many suggest. i don't think it makes sense for people to go out of their way to keep their hair moist. the role of moisture in hair is to reduce friction, imo. the only other reason is for aesthetic purposes. moist hair usually looks better, but i don't think it's an issue unless your hair is actually breaking as a result of it. 
for me, only time my hair gets moisture is on wash day. i keep my hair shiny and bouncy through how i style on wash day and it's due to conditioner. that's the only product i use, and i use it only on wash day. if my hair do starts lookin tired then i rewash my hair a few days later. 

also, afros can be quite unpredictable. when i had a twa my hair was a shape all unto itself. it never wanted to stay how it looked prior to me leaving the house. the only recipe for that is just waiting for it to grow out. which, it won't take as long as you think! 

I haven't got any breakage. I'm just really worried about getting breakage, cause I don't want to make a mistake and then have to start over. And I hardly manipulate it. I wear a hat every day. Today I'm going to try to style it, and of course I'm going to "Water it" cause trying to style it dry is impossible atm.
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 7:24pm

Daily moisturizing + sealing with an oil like extra virgin olive oil or butter like shea on damp hair should help.

When my hair was still short, I use to moisturize and seal on damp hair, then twist in chunky twists most nights to help combat dryness. It really helps get rid of that crunchy feel.

If it helps, the differing hair patterns will start to blend in as your hair grows out. It'll also get easier to blend the patterns together. It'll just take a little time.Thumbs Up

in my experience, dry hair is only a problem when you actually are manipulating your hair. if your hair is dry but you're not touching it while it's dry, then how can it break? i wouldn't worry about the moisture thing, personally. i never moisturize my hair, and here's a picture of it: 
my hair's always grown fine without me regularly "watering" it, as many suggest. i don't think it makes sense for people to go out of their way to keep their hair moist. the role of moisture in hair is to reduce friction, imo. the only other reason is for aesthetic purposes. moist hair usually looks better, but i don't think it's an issue unless your hair is actually breaking as a result of it. 
for me, only time my hair gets moisture is on wash day. i keep my hair shiny and bouncy through how i style on wash day and it's due to conditioner. that's the only product i use, and i use it only on wash day. if my hair do starts lookin tired then i rewash my hair a few days later. 

also, afros can be quite unpredictable. when i had a twa my hair was a shape all unto itself. it never wanted to stay how it looked prior to me leaving the house. the only recipe for that is just waiting for it to grow out. which, it won't take as long as you think! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 7:04pm

rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 11:21pm
For the dryness try the L(liquid,O(oil,C(cream) method for liquid i use infusium 23 have seen some use homemade mixes with aloe juice or just water for oil im using grapeseed oil since shea butter caused a moisture overload for cream using cantu shea leave-in some use a shea butter mix for cream. I have been using the LOC method for 3 years no more dry hair for me so happy i found it.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Aerie Aerie wrote:

Aw love, I don't see anything wrong with your hair, its likely just that your hair in the front grows differently than the back. A lot of people are like that, I'm one of them. 

If you want more definition in the front than perhaps try different drying methods? Tightlycurly and curlygirl methods are two I've heard of myself lately. 

As for moisture, make sure your scalp is being hydrated, drink lots of water, and deep condition your hair. 
I did a DC under a hair dryer for about 30minutes nearly a week ago, and my hair is still incredibly soft and moisturized. If I put my hand in it I feel oils on my fingers. 

I will look up those two methods, thanks. 
I try to drink a lot of water (and I usually do, cause its so hot in my dorm room I'm always thirsty)
I just bought a DC and used it sunday although I put it on in the shower and only left it in for 5 minutes because my suitemates needed to take a shower, but this weekend I'll try to leave it in longer. If I put a plastic shower cap on (the see through ones you throw away after) can I use a blow dryer and blow the baggy, is that just as effective since my hard hat hair dryer is at home.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by littlebabybug littlebabybug wrote:

i don't know what to say about the dryness, except maybe clarify your hair and go from there. even slate. 
but with regards to the looser texture, the front part of my hair is loose- about a 3a type. the rest of my hair is 3b with 3c in the crown but the looseness of the front i can't attribute to heat or chemicals. some people just have oddly loose sections. i wouldn't worry. so long as it's not breaking and splitting, it's healthy. looking at the pictures, your hair looks fine. it would be a waste to cut it considering how good it looks, and the difference in texture to me doesn't contrast so much that it should put a damper on your hairstyles. 
if you really don't like it just go for blending hair styles or braids or twists til it grows out. Thumbs Up

Well, I'm glad that my hair looks healthy, but I still don't like the two different textures. Maybe when my hair grows longer and I can put it in a bun again, I won't mind as much. Hopefully I can get a sew in during break and try to do something to my hair for these few weeks before break.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic