Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Relaxer Story/RANT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
laredbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laredbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Relaxer Story/RANT!
    Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 9:55pm
okay. ill be sure to check it out! 
Sponsored Links

yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 10:53am
thank you! and do your best!

I made a topic about japanese straightening in the hair growth section, I wrote more info about it.
laredbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laredbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 9:01am
Thanks yahya!! you have been much help & inspiration! :)
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 8:58am
I would say my staple products, having a clean scalp, deep conditioning properly (with heat), and moisturizing throughout the week.
laredbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laredbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:43pm
Thanks for answering all of my question and for the website!  :)

Hmm once I get the money and get to a longer length I may try the Japanese straightening for my self. 
Man your reggie makes mines look soooo weak. lol What would you say is your staple or most important part of your reggie?

yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 1:19pm
aaaw, thank you! X )
I actually forgot about this post. 

with 3 inches of new growth, the process was about 4-5 hours. I am definitely going to stick with japanese straightening instead of relaxing. the set back is that japanese straightening is much more expensive, but you can only do it once-twice a year. this might be a good thing or bad thing for some. the reason is because you need at least 3 inches of growth to do. I'm only doing it once a year because of the expense. but it's pretty much the only time I'll be going to the salon, so it isn't that bad. 

it took about 2-3 years to get to waist length.
here's where you can find my recorded growth rate:

and my current regimen:
  • hairveda shikakai bar and amla powder for cleansing; 
  • amla deep cleanse and castile for clarifying; 
  • hairveda sitrinillah, ao honeysuckle rose, and shescenit avocado for conditioning; 
  • henna, shescentit banana brulee, and amla powder for strengthening; 
  • roux porosity and acv for porosity correcting; 
  • hairveda whipped creme and mane n tail detangler for moisturizing; 
  • vatika frosting and cocasta shikakai for sealing and prepooing;
  • sulfur, jbco, and mn for growing and thickening; 
  • fantasia ic serum and grape seed oil for heat protecting; 
  • && multivitamin, omega 3 fish oil, and garlic supplements for overall health. 
  • prepoo at least half hour before every wash; 
  • shampoo every 2 weeks; 
  • cowash in between shampoos if hair needs it; 
  • clarify when needed;
  • henna gloss and roux porosity when needed;
  • deep condition every wash; 
  • steam using turban towel & hooded dryer;
  • acv final rinse after every deep conditioning;   
  • t-shirt drying method;
  • scarf method and bantu knots under hooded dryer, when new growth gets long;
  • flat iron when new growth gets longer;
  • lightly moisturize and seal about every other day; 
  • baggy & ghe when needed;
  • comb once to twice a day;
  • split-ender every 1-2 months;
  • trim 2 times a year;
  • && apply growth elixir 2-3 times every other week (wash week). 
this isn't including my growth regimen, which changes depending on what I'm testing.

Edited by yahya - Dec 02 2012 at 1:26pm
laredbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laredbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 10:12am
gasp! your hair looks soo beautiful! now you got me wanting to try this Japanese straightening! 

How long did this process take? Would you get this done again? How long did it take to grow your hair to WL? Reggie? lol sorry for all the questions WL is my current goal. 
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 2:20pm
pictures! I just got my hair done november 23rd. the japanese straightening (thermal reconditioning) was a longer and more expensive process, but you can really see a difference in my hair. even now that it's been flat-ironed, you can still see a slight difference between the japanese straightened roots and relaxed length. the roots are smoother and shiner.

blow-dried, side view 

blow-dried, top view

flat-ironed, back-bottom view                side-top view                                                         
Mooks-Hair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooks-Hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 1:56am
Oh wow. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through that. Hopefully you will head away from relaxers in the future. But so that you don't struggle with 2 textures...you may want to do a mild corrective. I suggest mixing some coconut oil into your relaxer and then applying it over the part that she did not finish and only leave it on for about 7 minutes at the most.
laredbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laredbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:34am
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:

Oh, wow. I know exactly what you went through. here's my pitiful epic hair drama story: ;_;

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1"><span ="font-size-1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent; line-height: 1.2 !imant;">"m</span><span style=": transparent; line-height: 1.2;">y mom's friend had relaxed my hair before with no problems. but then she told us she couldn't do it anymore and ever since then my hair has gone through hell on relaxer days. I went to a salon that used affirm lye mixed with conditioner or something to relax my hair. it was under processed. I went to another salon to experiment with ORS lye and my scalp hated it. and when I told the stylist to rinse it out she did with hot water and kept purposely scratching my scalp. are you suppose to rinse out relaxers that way? I got scalp burns for the first time, and parts of my hair got under processed. again. I went back to my mom's friend and used ORS no lye and my hair finally turned out good. But when my head was in the sink she combed out CLUMPS of my hair. I blamed it on the under-processed parts.</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;">

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><span ="font-size-1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent; line-height: 1.2 !imant;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">on wash days I was experiencing some breakage due to the under processed parts, but not when it was dry. So I went to the second salon that under processed me to have them correct it. It was hard for them since it wasn't below my new growth (new growth, relaxed, underprocessed, relaxed) and it was hard for them to find the part to apply it, but they got most of it. at least I thought they did, but they actually only got some of it.</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><span ="font-size-1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent; line-height: 1.2 !imant;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">
</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1"><span style="line-height: 12px;">then my mom's girl friend relaxed my hair with ORS no lye pak. she was in a rush so she started without putting petroleum on my neck and hair line. she was half way done with the section in the back when I told her, but she still didn't stop to put it on. I thought nothing of it, in my mind I was thinking it's no-lye so it won't burn. why did I do that! when she was half way done my neck started burning, so then she started putting petroleum jelly. I told her maybe she should wipe off my neck with water again, but she didn't. (I have to learn to be more assertive in these situations.) my neck was burning the whole time, and the side of my forehead started burning too after the relaxer got rinsed out I looked in the mirror to see red spots where it burned. I showed her, and instead of putting aloe vera on it she put more petroleum in it. I washed that off and put aloe on it myself. now I have burn marks on my neck and the side of my forehead. I'm healing them with aloe vera gel, aloe vera leaves, and vitamin e oil. I never want to repeat this episode again. and then,</span><span style=": transparent; line-height: 1.2;"> after she shampooed my hair in the sink, I went under the shower to comb out my hair and CLUMPS were coming out again! I barely even touched it with my comb yet!"</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1"><span style=": transparent; line-height: 1.2;">
</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 1.2;">I discovered hair's talent salon and the head stylist there, gina rivera, finally got all my back to one texture! she did it by using mizani colored treated relaxer and properly </span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 15px;">separating</span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 1.2;"> my hair to only apply it on the under processed parts. she also told me to wet my hair before coming and letting it dry without putting any product in it so the different textures show. genius! my hair lies down easily, so that's exactly what I suggested to the other salon that tried to correct my under processed hair, but they said you can't wash your hair before relaxing. I should have just ignored them. it's a correcter, not a touch up. but even after my hair texture was all one, rivera commented that I still have some breakage. it took me a while to learn I also had protein overload. >: [</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 1.2;">
</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"><span style=": transparent;"><span style="line-height: 1.2;">for under processed hair everyone kept advisin</span></span><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">g to use heavier protein treatments, well that was just making my hair situation worse! now I see I was getting breakage because of the under processed hair AND because I was beginning to get protein overload due to people's advice. I did not need a heavy protein treatment, what I needed was to up on my moisture to get more elasticity in my hair because of the extra curly texture. I wish I knew about elasticity tests back than. </span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">now my hair is finally back to normal! I'm never going to another salon again! I don't care if hairs talent is two hours away! I never want to go through any of this again! and in a week I'm going to do the salon's healthy alternate to relaxers, japanese straightening! a happy ending. </span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;"> </span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
</span>

Woo lord! Them chemical burns are something else!
No, no one is supposed to stratch your scalp while shampooing the relaxer out, matter of fact your not supposed to stratch your head for a couple of day before your relaxer. I can't believe she did your relaxer with out putting the Petroleum base on your scalp?! I used to always do it my self the say before then have who ever is doing my hair right before the relaxer. Well I very happy you found a salon that's worth trusting with your relaxers because I understand going to a salon & getting chemical burns that gives you head aches.
I would love to see some pics if you got them.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style