Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curly styles, styling and products
    Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 6:25pm

I’m new to curls … I just installed my very first curly weave.  I’m using EP naturally curly, about 2oz each of naturally dark in 10-13”, 14-17”, 18-21”.   

Out of desperation, I bought John Frieda extra strength frizz ease serum, curl perfector and the flawless finishing crème.  The hair is curly, not frizzy and pretty soft.  Judging from cookinggirl’s pics, I think the aveda universal crème may give better results.  I also read very good things about undiluted lottabody.  I also read that it’s best not to touch the hair when wet and for best results use a leave-in treatment, a frizz serum and styling cream.

My question is about styles, styling and products.  What are your tried and true curly hair styles, styling techniques and styling products?

Sponsored Links

MissLuxurious View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 6:53pm
Pretty much what you said. However, I find every batch to be different. Some products that worked great on one install, flopped for another. The main thing is not touching the curls after you have washed them (as far as combing). You really don't want to overstyle. This creates frizz. What you need to do is detangle before you wash, and wash in the shower, in a downward motion, and apply  your shampoo and conditioner in a downward motion, not going against the cuticle. Towel dry in a downward direction, and apply your leave in, and styling products. Then scruch if you want, but be careful not to ruffle the hair too much. REMEMBER: Overstyling creates frizz!!!!!!!

I find that creamy styling products do better in indian hair, so that's what I use. I love the noodle head, Aveda Universal Brilliant Styling Creme, Salerm 21, Silky Sexy Hair leave-in.

For serums I like: Deep Brilliance Reflect, Smooth and Shine, and Paul Mitchell Skinny, Kenra Silkening Gloss.

For shampoo's and conditioners I love: Silky Sexy Hair line, Salerm line, Kenra line, and Elucence line (works really well for curls).

For wearing straight, I REALLY love: Kenra Silkening Mist. That stuff is the bomb, and smells so good! Not too heavy, and leaves an amazing shine! it's an aerosol spray, but is nondrying. It is the best finishing product ever!!!

I SWEAR by lottabody for rollersets, and sometimes as a curl enhancing styling aid, but I ALWAYS use it diluted, and you will need to use something else with it when using it to boost natural curls. With rollersets, it's all you need.

But pretty much, you will have to find what works for you. You might prefer your curls different from the way I like mine (soft to the touch, not wet looking, and very defined), plus products react differently on different batches of hair.

Edited by MissLuxurious - Aug 28 2006 at 9:54pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 8:08pm

Thanks Miss Luxurious.  Your directions are right on.  After washing/conditioning the hair, I combed it, I brushed it, I put products on it, I scrunched it, I shook it, I combed it again.  The results were scary, when it dried it was a big poof ball. 

I have soooo many hair products.  I just threw out all the half empty bottles and stuff I’ll never use again.  And I still had enough left to fill my floor to ceiling bathroom closet and one of those Rubbermaid bins.  And yet I have none of the products you mentioned.   But I will try the Aveda, the Elucence, the Noodlehead and look for the Kenra Silkening Mist. 

Suwanee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 9:02pm
RR, post your pics of the curly.  I loved the relaxed texture. 
MissLuxurious View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 10:04pm
Ricky, you can get the Salerm from www.sickbay.biz

The Elucence from www.mrgeesbeautysupply.com

The Kenra from Trade Secrets

The Aveda from www.drugstore.com.

I am also interested in trying Sedal products for curls. I believe the US version is called SunSilk. I recieved some samples in the mail, and wait until my next install to test them out.

One other product I am interested in is Luscious Curls line by Frederic Fekkai, as well as his glossing creme.

oh, and how could I forget Aveda Be Curly! I have heard awesome things about that as well!

And the Noodlehead from Sally's.

DivaChick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 11:48am
shampoo: cream of nature
conditioner: cream of nature detangling shampoo
styling/frizz:
V05 Smoothing Souffle Frizzing Defense Cream -after shampoo and before mousse - also can be used on dry hair
V05 Curvaceous Curls Styling Mousse Extra Hold -  I apply right after shampoo and on dry hair in the mornings
MoreHair4me View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 12:02pm
I use Joico k-pak shampoo and conditioner on my EP naturally curly hair.  I spray Joice Integrity Detangler Leave in conditioner.  When I don't want nig hair I use CHS Curl keeper- it takes away all frizziness.  I also use CHS Slip and Silk leave in conditioner, not daily.  Different products for different looks.  I have used Noodle head, I like it but I find I have to wash more often because it is heavy on my hair, but a great look.  The Curlkeeper doesn't build up. 

I also use Biosilk some days just after wash and conditioning, no other products. It controls the frizz without a wet look.
Nikla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 3:51pm
I use Neutrogena Daily Deep Conditioner and it works very well. I also use it as a leave in.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 12:06pm
Sedal ... I've seen those products in the caribbean and in Indian stores.  Have you heard good things about it?

I added some pics to my fotki ... http://public.fotki.com/rickysrose/.   I've added some hair after the curly pics were taken.   I added some 18-21" to the back and sides for length.
Nichelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 12:40pm
I've seen Sunsilk in Walmart.  I might have to try that.  I use Curlkeeper, Garnier soft curl creme, and/or TIGI curls rock amplifier.
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic