Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
SuperNova View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breastfeeding/Milk Supply Help
    Posted: Sep 03 2011 at 9:35pm
I plan to breast feed as well as pump and save once I have the baby.  In the past, I've always had a very minimum milk supply and eventually gave into the formula. 

I know the normal stuff, like, nurse more often, use both sides, pump after nursing, etc.

But what can I do to REALLY jumpstart my milk supply and increase it?

I'm 28 weeks now so mentally I am preparing for the reality that I could have the baby and she be viable at any given time now(God wiliing, she will stay put until she is done cooking in there)

I've heard about drinking a beer a day, Funugreek, Alfalfa and drinking lots of water.  Do you ladies have any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links

val48066 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 11:39am
When my supply decreased, I had to eat more to amp it back up. 
tianini View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 5:48pm
Make sure that you take in alot of fluid. Water,juice, soups. If you'd like to try a supplement to increase milk supply try More Milk Plus by MotherLove. It's safe but you could check with your doc if you'd like. I did and I asked my son's pediatrician as well.  The stuff works so well.

Edited by tianini - Sep 04 2011 at 5:49pm
tianini View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 5:51pm

My son had lost quite a bit of weight when he was a newborn because my milk supply was so low but I was determined to not give in and just give him formula. I was able to breastfeed him for 11 months and always had an overabundance of milk(with the more milk plus).

Chantal34 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 7:31pm
My daughter was born at 28 weeks so I understand where you're coming from. My goal was to EBF but with her being in NICU, I got very discouraged going back and forth to the hospital and pumping at home. I did BF for as long as I could though. What helped me was eating lots of oatmeal and drinking a lot of water. Buy a few of those 24 pack waters fro Walmart. You can mix it with Crystal Light if it becomes too bland for you. I stopped BF'ing back in May but am still lactating.
Chantal34 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 10:09pm
Fenugreek capsules in conjunction with Blessed Thistle capsules will definitely boost your supply. Fenugreek can be  purchased at GNC stores, but Blessed Thistle is usually only online like through Amazon.
LilBit010 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 11:18pm
Besides Fenugreek I drunk Mother's Milk Tea from GNC and it worked for me. I also ate oatmeal and drunk loads of fluids to replace what was taken during breastfeeding. In a book I had it actually recommended drinking a glass of water while breastfeeding. Hope this helps.
tianini View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2011 at 7:24am
Yes!!! Now that everyone is talking about oatmeal. In peru women drink really really thin oatmeal. It's so thin that you can just drink it.
Infynit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2011 at 2:07pm
My suggestion (and what has worked for me)would be to try not pumping until your supply is actually established.  For the first month I only nursed.  After the month (about 3 weeks before I returned to work)  is when I started pumping and storing. 

As everyone else said Fenugreek, oatmeal and water.  Also, if you are freezing your milk, but your baby wont drink it once defrosted, you may have a lipase issue.  Best of luck!
gold.nile View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2011 at 6:47pm
fenugreek and blessed thistle FTW -- but you need to start it right from the baby's birth in order to maximize its effectiveness.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic