Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen choosing your stylist...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
honeycombed View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: When choosing your stylist...
    Posted: Aug 08 2006 at 12:33am
I have only had one person weave my hair.  I had been going to her for a while prior to getting weave, knew she did extensions and told her I wanted a sew-in. I don't even remember if I saw any heads that she did. 

I have read suggestions that when choosing a stylist, you should  interview them and/or sit in on them while they are doing a weave to check out their work.  Did any ladies from the board do this?  Is it common to do this? I don't want my potential stylist to get upset and think I am second guessing them, but after my last disaster, I want to spend my money wisely and be happy with the results.  Thanks ladies.
Sponsored Links

cookingirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2006 at 4:04am
Dayum! I started this once and hit a button and lost the whole message. I went to my stylist after several ref from peeps here and from EP. I finally chose a stylist who does several women I know in the entertainment industry and their hair was STRAIGHT and u could not tell they wore weaves. I have curly hair and that is easier to conceal so I felt if she could make these women "camera ready" and look so fly then that was it for me. Also when I went for a consult she was very sensitive to my needs. As I was in there with my pics and discussing my hair falling out of my head some lady told me she loved my natural curls and I started crying. My stylist sensed that I waanted to continue to look the way I was accustomed to looking but better and she suggested that I go with what I was accustomed to and I was really not trusting cause I had not been to a stylist in a long time but she hooked me up. Now I go to her and I don't argue with her.   She even broke down to me how to do my in between color cause I never played with mixing colors before so I don't have to come in there every two weeks to touch up my grey on my leave out. Most stylist want u to be dependent on them. Also some of the peeps I called that were recommended to me had TERRIBLE phone manners and if they can't talk to me on the phone I am not going to consider them.   I am willing to pay good money for my hair but I will not tolerate people who can't take the time to talk to me with some sense. My two cents worth. Oh and also she told me she had growing hands and I've seen that from my friends hair. When she did my re install my own hair had hit my mid back and thickened up nicely which was the point for me getting my hair weaved in the first place. Coloring constantly when you get older really wrecks your hair.

Edited by cookingirl - Aug 08 2006 at 4:07am
jvbg81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2006 at 7:13pm

yeah that is true some of us do have attitudes. my husband told me my phone manners sucked, but i never noticed it. i had to train my self how to talk on the phone for business, i have it now. but alot of money was lost in my past. when u go look for a stylist and u are hesitant, some will have pics of there styles. being that i didn't i would invite 1st timers to see the end results of my weaves, just to make them feel comfortable. some clients just told me they trusted me, because how i would do there hair. i still would tell them, that wasn't really something i would do. i have to break down to them that some people are terrible cutters but good with styling, some are great with health hair, but can't do a decent style. like me i don't do fusion, so i am not going to try on any paying client. when it comes to weave and spending money like that, i would be hesitant aswell.

Edited by jvbg81 - Aug 08 2006 at 7:14pm
Nichelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2006 at 7:20pm
Honeycombed- If you have never seen your stylist do a sew-in, RUN!!!  I did this on my first sew-in, my current install.  She didn't know what pro tac tape was, what liquid gold was, hadn't heard of bohyme, and definitely not EP or indain remy hair!  But, I went anyways because she's been doing my hair for a couple of years now.  Needless to say, my back track braid, GONE.  The next row is going too.  It is lumpy and if I didn't have EP curly hair or any other quality hair, I would look busted!  The curls help and hide the lumpiness of her braids.  But, I won't be going to her again!
la flaca bela View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2006 at 10:24pm
  I like to meet my potential clients before an install so that we can discuss the expectations and the technique that will be used! I don't like being set up and neither does my clients! so when the day does come to get the weave in ,I can already know what is on the program which makes my work go more smoothly and the client more comfortable!
Suwanee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2006 at 3:24pm
Thanks for the good advice ladies.   I am going to "test run" a new weavologist on some less expensive hair this weekend or next.    The weave stylist I had, she was ok, but I think she could have been better.  
I have a great, wonderful, outstanding Ethiopian hair stylist who does not do weaves. If only!!!!  But weaves are not for her and she flat out told me.   But when it comes to color, cut, styling my natural hair, she is fab.   
Soulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2006 at 3:37pm
It's funny, with almost anything else, I prefer to deal via the internet instead of with live telephone people... but when I call a salon I WANT A RECEPTIONIST!!!!!  I called a salon to schedule yesterday and all I can get are referrals to the website so I can schedule.  I  needed to ask about an exemption on a consultation because I'll be coming in from out of town and to get information about their different techniques, and I can't TALK to anyone to find out what I even NEED to schedule!!

Finished venting.  Thanks for listening.
Nichelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2006 at 3:54pm
My co-worker said she will ask her friend today about the salon she goes to so maybe that salon will have PERSON for you to talk to !  LOL! I understand thoug!
HairDoctorShiry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2006 at 6:20pm
I started a portfolio, pictures and a website. I have also traveled to my clients home to do a consultation. I give maintenance whenever needed at no charge. I give instructions before, during and after so that nothing is misleading or assumed. Good luck on locating a stylist, and the last thing and you should always:

ASK QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, DON'T BE SCARED! MISCOMMUNICATION IS THE NUMBER ONE UH-OH.....

ShiryWink
missb9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 1:09am
If they dont want to show you their work don't let them do your hair. Because then with me I wont pay if it is busted. If I have pic's of what I want and my hair comes out  looking nothing like the pic that is a problem. That is why i allways ask to see their work before hand. I got burned too many times.
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic