Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedShould I go to Cosmetology school?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
WestcoastKiid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I go to Cosmetology school?
    Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:38am
Me and my Grandmother were talking about hair stylist and the many people she has been with in the last years. And we got on the discussion me wanting to go to Cosmetology school, but which she disapproves for many reason one being that its more of a risk in the things I do with chemicals and the liabilities. But overall She thinks its just a waste of time, and I should just stick to braids and weaves , but I would like to be able to do EVERYTHING pertaining to hair (Color,relaxer,cuts etc).

But for me to do that I would have to go to school. She made good points on how school is too long(wants me to help support my mother asap), I wouldnt be able to work,and pretty much stick to what I know. And how the ladies that have done her hair in the past had no training but because their work was good it didnt matter to her she still paid the price to get her hair done by the best stylist possible. Her main objective was that if I perfect my current craft, my training in school would not matter. Still I want people to know that I am qualified and know how to do a service to their head without jacking them up. Then again I do see what she is talking about.

What do you guys think, I have came to the fourm many times with questions and advice and you guys have not let me down with your kind words, stories and advice.

Edited by WestcoastKiid - May 21 2011 at 1:30pm
Sponsored Links

Belladonna1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 2:06pm
I will say go to Cosmetology school! It will give you the opportunity to improve your craft. If you want to do hair as a hobby then no, you do not need a license. However, if you are trying to make a career out of it then you do need that license. As for taking care of your mom asap....you can still do this by doing hair after your classes. Besides, enhancing your skills will give you the opportunity to charge more and acquire more clients, which will put you in a better position to help your mother!
LadiMystic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 2:12pm
If you want to be a professional, its better that you go to cosmetology school and get a license because you won't get hired by any reputable beauty salon without one. And yes you have to support your mom but at the end of the day you'll make more money being qualified than being the homegirl down the street that can hook me up real quick for cheap. When you have your license it says a lot to customers and you can always do hair on the side after school. I've been to cosmetology school during high school and its such a great experience, you get to network and join contests and even get to know other beauticians in the making. LAter on it'll benefit you when it comes to making contacts. And like you said you'll learn A LOT more and perfect your craft!. I hope that helped some.
Anuli View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 2:32pm
Cosmetology school isn't that long, I want to go. No matter how hard the economy, People will ALWAYS get their hair done. I want go to for a side job while i'm in nursing school, But I want to own a salon in the future but have my chair in the front to do hair every now and then.. But if I go, it'll be for everything.. hair, nails, skin.
DivaCrat09 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 2:39pm
IA with everyone else...GO! You won't be able to demand certain prices with out a license or if it's not up to par (don't know anything about your skills, just speaking in general). 
WestcoastKiid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 2:41pm
I know its not that long, only a year course in California, but she was meaning the hours (8am-5pm;1600 hrs) plus if I was going to do someone's hair I was doing it until the late hours of the night. So I did see how me trying to go to school and do hair at the same time wouldn't work out unless I do hair only on the weekends Confused.

danni7 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 7:22pm
meh don't go unless you are absolutely sure that's what you want to do for the rest of your life. I went, spent the money, graduated and did hair for 3 months. I'll always have the license but I wasted 3 semesters off from college because of it and I regret that more.
Alexis303 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 8:18pm
You could always go part time as well.  It just takes much longer.  I say do it, but only if you really have a passion for doing hair.  It is not a business that is easy to succeed in unless you are very devoted and self-directed.  So many young women get into doing hair and allow the mediocrity among us to pull them down.  You can't let that happen to you if you want to be successful and really make money.  You have to focus on your clients, customer service, and being easily accessible and flexible.  If you are, then the money is there.  Just don't get caught up in the gossip and negative energy.  Plan on making yourself available to your clients and being very, very flexible.  Too many girls get their license and want to just go in to the salon a few hours every couple weeks and sit and gossip and wonder why they are going broke.  Don't fall prey to that behavior and you can do well.
honey* View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 8:26pm
i say go for it. whats paying a lot these days is coloring and cutting services. if you can do that, you'd be in good.
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 8:31pm
Certifications in WHATEVER field you work ALWAYS add value.  It becomes YOURS and NO ONE can take your education.  Otherwise it is often viewed as a HOBBY no matter how good you become. If your mother is ill and depends on others for support you will have to factor that into your decision. However, if there are other issues that are not mental/medically related I say make your life decisions on what will make you happy.   If you really love it your will find a way.  I have two advanced degrees, one of which was achieved while going to school full time and working FULL TIME AND working another part time job.  The year I did it I got divorced and lost my mom......yet I found strength to complete school.  Challenging your current limits is CHARACTER BUILDING and not for the faint.  Good Luck on your decision.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic