Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Heat Training...is it really that bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat Training...is it really that bad?
    Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Babydoll9163 Babydoll9163 wrote:

I wonder if it's only considered "heat damage" or self-hate if black women do it.

I never heard a fuss about monthly flat ironing for any other race, religion, etc. I had no idea weekly/monthly flat ironing would be so upsetting to people  LOL

white women flat iron their hair daily even when it's straightLOL
Sponsored Links

Babydoll9163 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babydoll9163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 11:08pm
I wonder if it's only considered "heat damage" or self-hate if black women do it.

I never heard a fuss about monthly flat ironing for any other race, religion, etc. I had no idea weekly/monthly flat ironing would be so upsetting to people  LOL

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Question:  My daughter is transitioning to natural.  We just cut more relaxer yesterday and now only about an inch and an half of her BSL hair is relaxed.  Once a month we wash, DC and blow dry.  After each wash, her hair is sooooo tight and kinky like mine (except I'm locked and use no heat).  But as soon as the blow dryer hits it, it loosens quickly and after about three passes, you can hardly tell where the line of demarcation is.  

Is that heat trained?  We only do it once a month and then I protective style her hair (she plays a lot of volleyball).  I do notice the roots kink up in a couple of days.  She loves the look of very full kinky hair with twistouts, etc. but if we continue on this regimen, will her hair eventually not kink up?  I know when she is older she will want her kinks.  It seems like it's fine but some of you have mentioned you now have parts that won't curl/kink.  

with once a month--it will take years for her hair to be heat damaged.  it might loosen to like a 3b/a but it should not loosed her curl completely as long as you do not use excessive heat
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 9:33pm
just got a press. grazing BSL. i will try to get another press in 2 weeks on the 12th. and then i'll be traveling and will do it myself.  i like the girl who does my press bc she used to be natural so she ain't running from the napsLOL

thing is i want to take swimming lessons this winter so this whole heat training thing might now work for too long. 

Edited by EPITOME - Nov 28 2012 at 9:33pm
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 10:44pm
She needs to trim about 3 inches of anorexic ends off. That's all I can see.
Babydoll9163 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babydoll9163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 10:29pm
Damaged...looks like straw
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 10:29pm
i think it looks moreso damaged when straight...but i guess if you're natural your hair bonds are broken as if you were relaxed...so as damaged as relaxed hair? idk
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 10:18pm
i expect heat trained hair to still have a curl when wet. heat damaged her looks like relaxed hair..straight and limp.
Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Babydoll9163 Babydoll9163 wrote:

I think heat trained hair is still healthy. It retains moisture, has shine, healthy appearance, etc.

Heat damaged is when your hair has just been fried and looks/feels like straw.

i still get confused with the difference, but think i can agree with this. i could certainly tell the time i had heat damage about 2 years ago. my portion of my hair was lifeless and flat and i could see if after the wash. i guess some say it is one in the same though...but i don't know about that.
Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 10:10pm
thanks, ladies.

@Babydoll - i still don't know what my type is. i think i am a 4 aish? however, i  do not have a great curl pattern, so im not sure what that is.

@thatgurlD - for me, i can say that i transitioned my hair too and it didn't take much at all to get my hair straight with when i blow it out. but i will say that my hair does curl back-up, but not as much as it would if i didn't straighten my hair so often. so i guess, i would just monitor the frequency of how much you straighten it to ensure she keeps her kinks. just monitor it after each wash.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic