Mynx Hair

Author
tropical-punch View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pure Coconut Oil vs. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by rolin rolin wrote:

This may be a stupid questionEmbarrassed But as far as I have read aren't the particles of oil to large to penetrate the hair shaft? Don't they just provide a sealent? I am just wondering, trying to get my facts straight, just started all of this and it gets confusing haha!

You know, I actually read that coconut oil is more effective at penetrating the hair strand than olive. I'd have to say that is true.

http://www.allhairlosstreatments.com/blog/coconut-care/

Edited by tropical-punch - Nov 30 2010 at 11:50pm
Sponsored Links

GreenGiant View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2010 at 11:47am
I found an interesting link with numerous uses for coconut oil other than hair. After reading this I feel like its essential to keep this in the house just as much as ppl keep evoo.
http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/coconut_oil.html
Lianna View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by dashi dashi wrote:

pure, this simply means it's made up of only coconut oil ................

that's it, really.

some ppl don't see the difference in benefit for hair, whether is refined or not, it works for them either way. i say this based on opinions i read in another hair board.

i'm sure olive penetrates too, because i read a cientific study about it, others i dont know.

refined means a lot of the good stuff is taken out, so if you can get the better version, do it. for just sealing it wouldnt matter though. if you wanna TREAT your hair with the oil, unrefined is better, but doesn't mean refined won't help your hair at all.
rolin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 10:40pm
Great! I just bought a jar of coconut oil a few weeks ago- think I will try to add it so my conditioner Clap
Goodyearwriter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 6:04pm
ConstanceV18
No, coconut oil is one of the few oils that actually penetrates the hair strand providing moisture inside the follicle. There are a few other oils that also penetrate the hair strand but I've forgotten which-- perhaps some of the other ladies will chime in (olive oil and avocado oil may have been two)

[/QUOTE]
Thumbs Up

Edited by Goodyearwriter - Nov 26 2010 at 6:05pm
Goodyearwriter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 6:02pm
Thanks for the info Ladies, IHeartBHM
constancev18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by rolin rolin wrote:

This may be a stupid questionEmbarrassed But as far as I have read aren't the particles of oil to large to penetrate the hair shaft? Don't they just provide a sealent? I am just wondering, trying to get my facts straight, just started all of this and it gets confusing haha!

No, coconut oil is one of the few oils that actually penetrates the hair strand providing moisture inside the follicle. There are a few other oils that also penetrate the hair strand but I've forgotten which-- perhaps some of the other ladies will chime in (olive oil and avocado oil may have been two)

Edited by constancev18 - Nov 26 2010 at 2:10pm
rolin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 1:53pm
dashi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 12:58pm

^^^^^ home made coconut oil is never white, it's actually quite dark due to reducing down the coconut milk to the point where it produces the oil. I like home made coconut oil and it smell's really intense and yummy, literally.

Anyways to the OP I wouldn't buy an an oil just because it said pure, this simply means it's made up of only coconut oil and not mixed with other oils/products but what it doesn't say is whether it is refined or not. So I would opt for unrefined/virgin/extravirgin.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 10:51am
Honestly, in my experience, the coconut oil I purchase at the store whether its 'extra virgin' or 'pure' both make my hair crunchy and stringy. I hate it.

So I complained to my mother about it, and she sucked her teeth and shook her head
and laughed. In Guyana where I'm from, Coconut oil is also nothing special
and considered 'poor man' oil. Its what we use as body lotion and cooking oil or hair oil when we're poor and can't afford anything 'better'.

Anyhow, she offered to make me some and I couldnt believe the difference.

First of all it smelled amazing! unlike the one I bought which had no coconutty scent what so ever.
it was also brown, not white. When I applied it to my hair it immediately felt silky and smooth and gave great shine. But my hair wasn't weighed down and stringy as the other oil had made it. I couldn't believe the difference. My hair loved it.

Just last night I asked my mom to make me some more. She said to buy 12 nice coconuts and she'd make it for me.

Is it pure, extra virgin? I don't know but its real and its better than the ones I've purchased in the past.

Edited by Derri - Nov 26 2010 at 10:53am
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic