Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Socially awkward people
    Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:09pm
What determines one to be "socially awkward"? Do socially awkward children often grow up to be socially awkward adults?  Why do people target these individuals instead of helping them communicate with the people around them. Is there a specific look for the socially awkward?

I'm the type of person who watches and observes people and their behavior and socially awkward people  fascinate me for some reason, like, why can't they connect to society like everyone else? Is it lack of confidence? There are others in society who don't follow "the norm" and arent socially awkward (think punk rock type people). I try to help these individuals from time to time but I suppose they cant all be savedOuch

ETA: I am not referring to Introverts in this post ^

Edited by eanaj5 - Oct 04 2010 at 7:38pm
Sponsored Links

Honeyflower89 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:12pm
My 11 year old brother is socially awkward and I'm trying to make him not awkward. I don't think it's working.

Edited by Honeyflower89 - Oct 04 2010 at 7:13pm
Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:16pm

you can find part of your answer to your first sentence in your second paragraph.  i guess the question can also be why do you consider these people socially awkward? 

smartgirl88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:19pm
hmmm
stacks View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:22pm
I was a bit socially akward as a youngsta...u just feel like you're in your own lil world and the rest of society is a movie with the volume down low...sometimes you wish you could come out the shell but it's just extremely uncomfortable to put yourself out like that...when I picked up team basketball I grew out of it pretty quickly...I think it's something you're just born with because my mom said I was even like that as a baby/toddler...I'm extremely outgoing now when I'm in the mood but I space out a lot when people are talking and it takes forever for me to remember people's names for some reasonConfused

Edited by stacks - Oct 04 2010 at 7:25pm
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Spokenword Spokenword wrote:

you can find part of your answer to your first sentence in your second paragraph.  i guess the question can also be why do you consider these people socially awkward? 

MY definition of socially awkward would be a person who A) doesnt have many friends (not by choice)
B)  doesnt know how to address  everyday social interactions 

Basically your stereotypical High school outcast
TransitAngst View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

What determines one to be "socially awkward"? Do socially awkward children often grow up to be socially awkward adults?  Why do people target these individuals instead of helping them communicate with the people around them. Is there a specific look for the socially awkward?

I'm the type of person who watches and observes people and their behavior and socially awkward people  fascinate me for some reason, like, why can't they connect to society like everyone else? Is it lack of confidence? There are others in society who don't follow "the norm" and arent socially awkward (think punk rock type people). I try to help these individuals from time to time but I suppose they cant all be savedOuch

A lot of people think introverts to be socially awkward. Same with shy people. People who don't have an immediate response to everything, can't immediately mesh into a group (i.e., someone at a party who tries to join a conversation and just ends up sitting on the outside listening in), or just can't behave in the way other people expect them to in order to socialize. It's a hard existence, and people can't change just like that *snaps fingers*.
The best thing to do is realize that everyone is different. Someone might be weird or creepy in behavior, but they might be struggling or wishing that they were different. If it were a lack of confidence, they wouldn't be trying to communicate or be seen/heard in the first place. As someone who is incredibly socially awkward, I can't tell you how much it's appreciated when people can look at me as valid. I think I veered off-topic, but that's TA's bit. Wink
Cocoa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:36pm
<----socially awkward
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:36pm
^ Oh, I am an introvert myself but there is a distinct difference between being an introvert and socially awkward. Growing up I was never a social butterfly (Still not) and I never had a crap load of friends (by choice) but people always talked to me and was always asking me why I never talked etc. and I was welcomed into social circles , but The SA people I've seen try to be apart of social situations but it never ends well for them, like people are not naturally drawn to them, think corny to the extreme
Dark&Lovely View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 7:38pm

Look up Autism. People with this disorder, just don't pick up on social cues like non-verbal, tone of voice (including sarcasm), facial gestures - they merely concentrate on the actual words you say, which means they miss a lot. Same goes for socially awkward people. It is extremely hard for these individuals to learn how to communicate, its like learning something really hard, like calculus. They should have more community classes in communication. 

Being Soically awkward is terrible, i have a few as friends because im loud and their usually quiet, so it works out. It's sad how people view them as weak until they flash on them...lol.

I would suggest people with this problem, should try going to American communication classes geared toward international students, they teach about american social norms so foriegners have an easier time fitting in.

Edited by Dark&Lovely - Oct 04 2010 at 7:39pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic