Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedThe Official Co Washing Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Official Co Washing Thread!
    Posted: Jun 15 2006 at 8:31pm
Since I see so many posts on co-washing from confused newbies, I thought this post would be helpful.  Also, this would be nice for some of the older members who dislike seeing the same posts asking the same questions about co washing over and over again. Tongue

Definition: Co-Washing is a technique that entails washing your hair solely with conditioner, this includes massaging the conditioner into your scalp like you would with shampoo as well as putting it on the length of your hair.

Benefits: Moisture, moisture, moisture! As well as softness and added mangeability for new growth

How-To:  Everyone does it differently.  There is really no 'right' way to co-wash.  If you do it differently than someone else, you will not be damaging your hair.  Personally, I let water run over the length of my hair and apply my conditioner in sections so I know that my hair is evenly coated.  I then massage it into my scalp and finger comb it through, which helps with the detangling process later.  Afterwards, I proceed to continue about my activities and rinse it out when I'm about to get out of the shower.

Products: Most of us perfer to use cheap conditioners because we co wash often.  Favorites tend to be: Suave, White Rain, and VO5.  I like those as well as Herbal Essences.  Some people cannot use cheap shampoos so they use conditioners like Keracare Humecto, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner, and Nexxus Humectress

Growth: Because co washing can also clean the scalp, it is good for growth.  Hair goes faster with a cleaner scalp.  Some ladies report receiving enhanced growth from frequent co washes.

How Often: The average range is from daily to once a week. This obviously varies.

Feel free to add whatever else you want or ask any questions!
Sponsored Links

Nubianqt86 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2006 at 8:48pm
I've been doing this since I started my transition. Ladies, this has kept me from ripping my hair out in frustration!

Edited by Nubianqt86 - Jun 15 2006 at 8:48pm
chai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2006 at 9:00pm
Bump for newbies
angel28 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 9:16am

Can't think of anything to add but this thread is a great idea Chai,Clap there are always co-washing questions popping up. Co-washing is one of the greatest hair discoveries I've made since coming to hair boards.

jamparis1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 10:41am
Thanks for the thought. Though I'm not a "true" newbie, I've learnt from your post!
Only1biancab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 11:22am
Well, there are some things newbies to co-washing should remember.  It's best to not use conditioners with silicone or any derivative of silicone (look for the -icone).  If you're going to do it often, it's probably not a good idea to use protein conditioners for cowashing either.
Priestess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Only1biancab Only1biancab wrote:

Well, there are some things newbies to co-washing should remember.  It's best to not use conditioners with silicone or any derivative of silicone (look for the -icone). If you're going to do it often, it's probably not a good idea to use protein conditioners for cowashing either.

I totally agree with this.  Just the thought people using NTM conditioner for co-washes or any cone-laden conditioner is cause for concern.  All those silicones are going to be counterproductive to actually cleaning the hair for a co-wash.  That's why Suave and Vo5 are ideal choices instead.  They are cheap and cone-free!  Wink

As far as using conditioners that contain protein for co-washes I agree you have to be careful.  If you have some co-wash conditioners that contain protein, you want to be mindful of what kind of conditioner you are following up with post co-wash so as to not OD on protein.   Smile
bellahoney View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 6:07pm
newbie here...thanks for posting, very very helpful....I have been browsing the boards and saw co-wash quite a few times but wasnt exactly sure of what was meant by it.    
Priestess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 6:48pm
Your welcome, Bellahoney.  I remember when I first started frequentinhg hair boards and I read about co-washes, I was like, "What the?!"  Geek
tarah86 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2006 at 1:58am
I'm for this post. I'mma start my co-wash on friday(hopefully if I can find a cheap conditioner). I'm either gonna get suave or vo5. Maybe Vo5 cuz I used to use it when I was younger
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
  Share Topic