Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
dazed& View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biotin and Shedding
    Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 10:53am

ever since i increased my biotin intake from 5000 mcg to 10000 mcg (i take one capsule in the morning and one before bed), the amount of hair in the comb after a wash is immense ( almost a handful..never like that before) and even when applying moisturizer is see more hair than usual in my palms when distrubuting the moisturizer to my ends. should i be worried? i know shedding and hair growth are both related but the amount of hair i see is bothering me right now.

i also use megatek and take a multivitamin and fish oil. im protective styling for the winter too.

Edited by dazed& - Nov 14 2009 at 12:28pm
Sponsored Links

dazed& View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 11:20am
bump
sweetyangel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 12:11pm
I have never known biotin to make your hair shed. Maybe you should lower your dosage.
flwonline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 12:41pm
I recently upped my biotin intake, and am also using Megatek as well. I've not had any shedding at all.

dazed& View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 12:48pm
thanks for your responses...i did a really moisturizing treatment last night just to see if all of the hair came from a protein overload( may hair has gotten alot of protein 3 weeks in a row). ill see when i take my braids out today if i still have alot of hair coming out. in the mean time does anyone else have any input?
dazed& View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 1:43pm
bump
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 2:13pm
I will suggest that you clarify your hair.  Then use a moisturizing conditioner, please add 15 drops of Pure Garlic Extract to the amount of conditioner that you will be using.  Mix well, and apply the mixture from roots to ends.  Clarifying will help to get rid of a protein overload quickly.  Is your hair only shedding, or is their breakage ?  Air dried hair + comb = breakage.  Biotin will not contribute to hair shedding.  I am questioning in my mind, why you are ingesting 10,000 mcg of Biotin daily.  Your body will only take the amount needed, and will excrete the excess Biotin. 

I will  suggest that you consider taking B-Complex daily, and Vitamin C..  Vitamin C is a repair vitamin, and it aids in better absorption of other vitamins.  It is not unusual for some women to shed more hair, during the fall and winter months.  Shedding is an internal process, we can do things to slow down the process.  But, eventually the hairs that have reached end stage life will be lost.   

ETA:  I just noticed that you are transitoning.  It is imperative that you keep, the line of demarcation moisturized.

Edited by Claudie - Nov 14 2009 at 2:16pm
dazed& View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 3:39pm
thanks. i did notice some breakage last week but i only comb my hair once a week which is wash days. the rest of the week its in a bun. i make sure my hair stays moisturized and most of the breakage is little short pieces from the ends. i moistrize and seal with evoo and coconut oil twice daily 

Edited by dazed& - Nov 14 2009 at 3:41pm
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by dazed& dazed& wrote:

thanks. i did notice some breakage last week but i only comb my hair once a week which is wash days. the rest of the week its in a bun. i make sure my hair stays moisturized and most of the breakage is little short pieces from the ends. i moistrize and seal with evoo and coconut oil twice daily 

You are welcome.  Coconut oil is one oil that penetrates, and it helps the hair to retain protein.  You might want to consider sealing once per day, and use coconut oil only 3 times per week.  You will notice more hair which looks more than normal, as you are not combing your hair daily.  When you condition your hair, please make sure that you saturate the hair ends well.  Coconut oil is a good oil, the negative of using too much coconut oil.  Is that it will make hair dry over time.  Good luck, I pray that the shedding and breaking will end.  With your hair ends breaking, it is preventing length retention.

Ese88 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Claudie Claudie wrote:

I will suggest that you clarify your hair.  Then use a moisturizing conditioner, please add 15 drops of Pure Garlic Extract to the amount of conditioner that you will be using.  Mix well, and apply the mixture from roots to ends.  Clarifying will help to get rid of a protein overload quickly.  Is your hair only shedding, or is their breakage ?  Air dried hair + comb = breakage.  Biotin will not contribute to hair shedding.  I am questioning in my mind, why you are ingesting 10,000 mcg of Biotin daily.  Your body will only take the amount needed, and will excrete the excess Biotin. 

I will  suggest that you consider taking B-Complex daily, and Vitamin C..  Vitamin C is a repair vitamin, and it aids in better absorption of other vitamins.  It is not unusual for some women to shed more hair, during the fall and winter months.  Shedding is an internal process, we can do things to slow down the process.  But, eventually the hairs that have reached end stage life will be lost.   

ETA:  I just noticed that you are transitoning.  It is imperative that you keep, the line of demarcation moisturized.
Claudie you are amazing and i learn new things from you all the time. I didn't know the bolded and will keep it in mind just incase
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic