FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedLets Talk OILS!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mskraizy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets Talk OILS!!!
    Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 6:47pm
Thinking of starting to use oils as a main moisturizers instead of using up all of my conditioners or buying up all the commercial brand products that turn out not to even work that well. I figured, if Indians use mainly oils to moisturize their hair and get it so long and pretty, why not try it myself? I know people use oils for sealants, but there are some who would love to moisturize with oils. So I'm going to give it a try. Just posting a list of oils and how they care for hair if any ladies of BHM wanted to look into some of them.

Amla Oil: Enriches hair growth and prevents premature graying of hair and dandruff and also increases the strength of hair follicles. When applied to freshly washed hair it brings forth a rich, natural shine and soft texture to the hair and helps rejuevenate hairs that are dull and damaged and helps in preventing spilt ends. When applied to the scalp, it has a cooling effect and also promotes sound sleep and even aids in increasing memory.
Aloe Vera Oil: Contains several natural conditioners which contribute to soft, strong and healthy hair. When used in scalp massages, it helps in reducing stress and generates eased and calm feelings. Also helps strengthen hair follicles and gives hair a nice shine.
Almond Oil: Has good moisturizing and conditioning properties. A little bit lighter than olive oil but stays a liquid unlike coconut oil and more reasonably priced than jojoba oil. Not heavy on hair.
Apricot Kernel Oil: Known for it's moisturizing and revitalizing properties for the face, hands, AND hair. When used in hot oil treatments, it brings forth softer and more radiant hair.
Avocado Oil: Tends to be very moisturizing, penetrating and nourishing to the hair.

Babassu Oil: Soothing, protective, and emollient properties. Penetrates quickly into the hair and does not leave a greasy after fell.
Baobab Oil: Good use for strengthening damaged hair and its moisturizing properties.
Broccoli Seed Oil: Has a light consistency that penetrates hair and skin with ease and leaves a non-greasy sheen. May mimic cones on some types of hair (may be drying). Good for a conditioning oil but not so much as a styling oil. Leaves hair very shiny and may have a strong aroma.

Calendula Oil: softens hair and skin, soothes irritated skin and has mild astringent qualities.
Carrot Oil: Strengthens hair and gives it shine. Will also help in preventing breakage and smoothes your hair. It's rich in beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E. very good to use in hot oil treatments.
Camellia Oil: High in olein adics and glycerides and adds shine and conditions the hair while also treating damage from perms and coloring. Also helps in smoothing out he hair cuticle and helping prevent split or overprocessed hair. Most suitable for very dry or naturally coarse hair.
Castor Oil: Heavy oil that aids in thickening hair (like edges and the ends and whatnot) and helping in stimulating growth. Not recommended for all hair types, or to be mixed with other oils to minimize the oiliness. A natural humectant.
Coconut Oil: Some find it too heavy and some love it (like me!). When cool, it is a meltable solid, when in hot temperatures or rubbed between hands, it melts into a liquid. Coconut oil is used to promote shine, strengthen hair and improves condition of the hair. Can be taken internally and improve inner health. Hydrates skin that is chronically dry. Regular scalp massages with coconut oil ensures that your scalp will be free of dandruff, lice and lice eggs, and will keep it moisturized. Also will help in regrowth and nourishment of damaged hair. Can also aid in retarding or even preventing shedding.
Vatika's Herbal Coconut Oil: Bascially coconut oil with added herbs and oils.
Emu Oil: As far as I know, Emu oil contributes to preventing hair loss and strengthening and conditioning the hair but can be kinda contraversial because of the methods used to harvest the oil from the Emu. That's as much as I know.
Evening Primrose Oil: Good moisturizer for hair and also softens it, high in fatty acids and aids in skin cell restoration.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Can be heavy, but the oil itself is thick. Helps in giving hair more elasticity and gives hair good sheen.
Flaxseed Oil: Helps to moisturize dry hair and reduce breakage. Contains an anti-flammatory property that can treat scalp eczema and psoriasis.
Grapeseed Oil: Is a light moisturizer and non-greasy oil. It absorbs quickly into the scalp and is very emollient.
Hazelnut Oil: Rich in vitamin E and adds good moisture to hair.
Hempseed Oil: Brings gloss and manageability to the hair as well as relief from dry scalp or hair damage caused by direct heat, chemical perms, coloring, or sunlight.
Jojoba Oil: Good for conditioning the hair, works on most hair types whether dry or damp. Works well by itself or when mixed with aloe and glycerin as a leave-in or possible styling product. Excellent oil to use in scalp massages or just to use on the ends of your hair. But also more costly than other oils. Blends very well with added essential and fragrant oils.
Macademia Nut Oil: Contains proteins and high in fatty acids and antioxidant properties. A great moisturizer for hair.
Neem Oil: Aids in the prevention of dandruff and hair lice. Mostly used in treating the epidermis of diseases and infections and clearing acne
Palm Oil: Essentially similar to coconut oil (I'll look up more on it later)
Peach Kernel Oil: Acts as an emollient and is a light oil to moisturize with. it helps retain natural color and chemically applied color, making color treatments last longer. By coating the hair shaft, peach kernel oil protects the hair from outside conditions such as the sun, wind, rain, and even pollution. It also helps deter frizz and helps define curl patterns. Nutrients in the peach kernel oil condition the hair, and aid in hair growth by helping prevent breakage and tangles.
Peanut Oil:
Red Palm Oil: Great for deep moisturizing treatments and works very well when mixed with honey and conditioner.
Rose Oil:
Rosehip Oil: Great for brittle, dry, or damaged hair. Works well when massaged into dry or flaking areas of the skin or scalp.
Safflower Oil: Good moisturizing benefits with an exceptionally high amount of Oleic acids.
Sesame Oil:
Shea Oil:
Strawberryseed Oil:
Sweet Almond Oil: Will spoil wuicker than other oils, but for some it penetrates better than olive oil. (will do more research later)
Sunflower Oil:
Wheat Germ Oil: Very thick in it's consistency for a scalp massage alone. Good resource for antioxidant benefits and high vitamins resources. (will do more research later)

PHEW!! That's alot but I will be adding more to the blank ones and even more if I come across more. Add more to the list if you want. I just googled these oils, this isn't off of my own experimentation. Hope that helps you ladies!!

HHG!!
Sponsored Links

FitnessNow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 7:24pm
This is GREAT. Thanks for researching this...Smile

I have just decided to start using Amla oil for my scalp and ends. I have been busily researching various essential oils that are good for the hair that I can add to this oil.

Edited by FitnessNow - Aug 02 2009 at 7:27pm
mskraizy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 7:33pm
You're very welcome! Does the amla oil have a bad smell? I've heard that the smell is kinda overpowering.
Krystal19 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 8:04pm
So far I've used avocado oil, jamaican black castor oil, and coconut oil. The jbco has stopped my transitioning hair from breaking off so much. The avocado oil is really moisturizing and I hated the coconut oil. It doesn't do anything.
FitnessNow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by mskraizy mskraizy wrote:

You're very welcome! Does the amla oil have a bad smell? I've heard that the smell is kinda overpowering.

I like the way it smells; it is very distinctive and not so subtle. I can't think of anything I can compare it to...but I like it! Smile
monappy28 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 8:30pm
I've been considering this too. It's an experiment I'm trying for the next two weeks. The oils I plan on using are my ever loving coconut oil, CoCasta oil (Indian inspired oil with a bunch of oils that are rich and thick and lucious!), Africa's Best ultimate herbal oil (soy bean oil, walnut seed oil, kiwi fruit extract, olive fruit oil, castor seed oil, sesame seed oil, jojoba oil, carrot seed oil, sweet almond oil, tocopheryl acetate, sunflower oil and calendula extract and yarrow extract and cucumber extract, carrageenan extract, ginseng extract, sage extract, comfrey extract, aloe extract)
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 8:42pm
oil alone cannot moisturize. you can make a water spritz with oils which is what i do. and then i seal with oil. the product you use for moisture must have water in it somehow in order to moisturize you hair
Cocorita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 10:58pm
Thanks for the post! This excellent information.
Cocorita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

oil alone cannot moisturize. you can make a water spritz with oils which is what i do. and then i seal with oil. the product you use for moisture must have water in it somehow in order to moisturize you hair

IA but I feel like if you are washing your hair and using water based conditioners on the regular your hair is getting enough moisture through these processes. I will cowash and only apply oil and keep applying oil until I cowash again.
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 2:13pm

I find that jojoba oil gives me acne.  That trial lasted about a week and I gave the jojoba back.  The coconut oil is one of my favorites but the only downside is the inconsistencies in texture.  One day my house is cold and the oil is hard, one day the house is warm and I can't hold onto the oil at all.

Africa's Best is by far my favorite.  It's less expensive and has easier access to EVOO.  It has a pleasant smell too.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic