Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedIntroductions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Celie View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introductions
    Posted: May 01 2009 at 10:24am
Please introduce yourselves.  Tell us somethings about your hair<natural and not> and why you have chosen lace wigs, and your experience, and what you hope to achieve with LW. Knowing you will help us to interact better.

I am Celie and I have been on the board for 2 years +.  When I started looking for wigs to deal with my receding hairline from chemotherapy drugs, I was looking for a lace wig, but didn't know it.  I was looking for wigs with natural parts or hairlines and ran into BHM.

I have lots of different lace wigs, including length, texture and colors. I was one of those people who never bothered with my natural hair.  Went to the hairdresser maybe 4x a year; loved my roller sets for one day and then whatever !  I wore lots of synthetic wigs before, during and after chemo. It was just easier than trying to get a hairdo going on my own silky curly hair.

I am one of those people who has bought everything that anybody mentioned on here to try. I knew NOTHING about hair.  Had never done anything but shampoo, condition and set.  Had never BEEN in a BSS or Sally's.  Now, I wish I had every $$ I have spent there since I started with LWs. I could go on a vacation to Spain for a couple of weeks !!!  I admit, I am an addict, but will not admit how many units I own.

My routine for application is always skin barrier <not protectant> barrier, Hollister Medical adhesive and Dalvyn Green and every now and again, I try something else.  For my nape I use Duo Tac redliner tape on the unit. I put DG or Vapon No tape on my skin.

I have worn LW consistently since my discovery.  I love these fracking things.

I appreciate the help that I got from this board and participate out of the collegiality offered me. 

If you want, you can ask any senior member to be your LF Mommy.  We had that for a long time here.  MO was my LF Mom.

This can be fun, if you take the time to build the relationships to connect with the members.

Thanks and now you can return to your regularly scheduled program.LOL

Edited by Celie - May 01 2009 at 10:37am
Sponsored Links

ilovelife View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 10:48am

SmileHey you type fast because I was just about to post an intro topic. Good thinkingSmile.

Well Im Jennifer and I normally post in the LF section but I like the Newbie section as well because I like to see what questions others have and I like to help answer questions because I may not have the answer to everything but I love researching and finding the answer. So if you ever need someone to do some research let me know!

I have been wearing LF's for about 4 1/2 years by choice. I like changing hair colors and lenghts and I didnt want to harm my real hair in the process. I  already wore wigs but i wanted a more natural look  and I have done everything imaginable to my hair before and after them. I have been blond, brunnette, black and even orange. I have had long healthy natural hair and even been near bald(it was a phase) I have worn sew-ins, wigs and even a hat wig(yall remember them from back in the day) When I started wearing lf my exp with hair changed for the better. I actually found this forum about 4 years ago and I never took th etime out to join, I was shy and I guess you can say I lurked around. But over the past years I have aquired alot of information from this site and even some iformation on my own which is why I have gotten the courage to start posting and even answering questions.

My secret weapon for a flawless application:
PATIENCE!!!!

Wearing LF'S is a journey and it can be a fun one or a bumpy one. We will loose some members on this journey because sometimes a LF isnt the direction some may want to go in and some get tired during the journey and fall off and some even return. But either way if you are ready for the journey I agree with Celie, hop on and lets take the trip together.

BTW:
The ladies on this forum are GREAT
Shout out to MS Celie, Shyresse,Luvmyhair,Nufsyd, and countless others, especially our lovely moderator Ms Sexi herself. I cant even count the times that I would come on here 4 years ago and see her post and immediately go out to the store and buy and try what she suggested, lol
TIP:
To all LF NEWBIES whenever your butt hits the computer chair make sure you have a pen and paper handy because taking notes and researching is key to achieving your LF goals. I am a firm believer in studying
STUDY STUDY is my motto!
ok so I am going to get back to acting like I am working, lol
Be blessed everyone!

Edited by ilovelife - May 01 2009 at 10:58am
thicks247 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 10:57am
Hey everyone....Im thicks247 aka Ayana.

I have been into "hair" all my life. Im a Leo, so I guess that's why my mane is important to me. In junior high my mom had to resrtict me to a bottle of gel a month (was she serious?!?!)lol

I have been wearing lace wigs for about 6 months, but I have been studying them and reading on BHM for about 2 years. Before that I did the sew-in weave route. Thank God one of my best friends is a hair stylist.

But I was looking for an easir alternative because I sweat in my head alot and I would itch the crap outta my hair. I can't stand being in a weave for more than 2 weeks without washing my hair.

Wearing lace wigs has given me a sort of freedom, cuz I can remove and redo and not have to depend on anyone but myself and that in itself is freedom for me. I recently got up the courage and shaved my head (more freedom!!!) and what I saw was confirmed by a dermatologist that I have atopic dermatitis on my scalp (I never realized the extent of my "dry scalp" till I took all of my hair off)

So while I am treating this affliction, I get to look fly in the mean time...YaaY!!!

My usual routine is:
alcohol prep, proface no sweat prep, skin protectant, tru blue tape, and a layer of davlyn green....hold like no other for me...I have other things in my arsenal to try, but this is my tried and true combo for now....

I have learned so much from the ladies on here, that the only thing I can do is to keep learning and help out where I can.....

My name is Ayana & I'm a lace wig addict/length whore

queen_tee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:20am
Hey everyone, I'm natashia. I been wearing lace wigs for about 2 - 2 1/2 years I think. I know I started wearing them when I was in my first year of law school, I wanted something more natural and something that I would have more style choices with. Anyway, now I'm about graduate next week. So I know it has to be like at least 2 years, since law school was 3.

I used to wear wigs, weaves, braids, every type of hair extension method possible. I even had this unit from a place in manhattan, called mhn, i paid a whole lot of money for, like a mortgage payment. This was when I used to live in NY, I actually thought it was worth it then because it was supposed to last two years. I realize now, that i think it was like a lace unit in the front and a net unit in the back. The net they pull your hair through. Anyway, I stopped wearing that because the method of attachment was breaking my hair, they used these weird metal things. I was only able to wear it about one year, and it had to be reattached in the salon every 6 weeks for about 150.00, it was crazy.

So, me and my mom(she's like hair sidekick, lol) are always searching for something to make me happy with my hair. I naturally have thick hair, but it doesn't grow long, like other people in my family. So, I guess I always wanted some way to extend my hair and have it look natural. I found lace wigs and it's been great. I messed up two units in the beginning. Both of which I paid too much for. But, I see what I was doing wrong now, and I haven't had anymore deaths, lol. This forum has helped alot with applications and with finding vendors.

I think at this point, I can answer some questions but I also still need advice and wisdom from the vets. Thanks to all the ladies of the board for making it a wonderful place.

Forgot to add that i'm definitely a length whore now, my units just keep getting longer, waiting on my virgin malaysian 26 inch to arrive today, it's out for delivery, yayBig%20smile

Edited because I realized I didn't put my age and martial status, like everyone else,  I'm 24 and I have no kids, not married, completely single again, for about the last two months, after a 3 year relationship. I just graduated from law school(some of you saw the pictures in my fotki), about to take the bars in july, pray for me

Edited by queen_tee - Jun 23 2009 at 1:01pm
Nufsayd View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:40am
Hello beautiful Divas...first and foremost...I'm a LF addict...been wearing LFs since October 2008. I'm a mom of 4 wonderful boys (20, 16, 11, 10) and been with my husband for 13 years and married to him for 4 years.

I have been into hair as long as I can remember...In the early 80's I wore my natural hair...always staying in my stylist's chair with the hottest perms/cuts...in the late 80's I migrated to braids on/off in between wearing my natural hair...then around 1999 and on I wore weaves and braids...now with saying all that...my hairline took a beating when I constantly wore the weaves and braids...

Then one day I thought I'm tired of giving my money to someone to weave...plus purchase the hair...I thought something has got to give or be better than this...so I talked with my weaver at the time and she told me about lace frontals/with weave in the back as an option...so I say ok...how much she says "$250 for the install and $500 for the hair"..well you know I just looked at her like she was crazy and said yeah ok...I'll talk you later..I left and never went back...this is where my LF journey began.

I came home started researching LFS (this was in Septemember 08)...found BHM and read through all the newbie threads and even current posts. I then purchased my first LF from an AV...well it definitely has been a journey...I've been stuck to a pillow case, burned by Endurabond, had adhesive everywhere in my bathroom, installed my LF backwards and wore it to work for 2 days...without realizing it was on backwards, endured 4 hour applications and the list goes on...

But through it all the ladies here have held my hand and helped me through my catastrophies...by offering guidance, suggestions and a good laugh..I've met some beautiful sista's on this board...

I'm a carefree..drama-less person...and will go out of my way to help anyone...I may not know the answer...but we can find out the answers togetherWink

I'm glad I found BHM.

Edited by Nufsayd - May 01 2009 at 11:44am
MissLDB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 12:24pm
Hello Ladies...I am MissLDB!

I am a WEAVE ADDICT!  I wanted long hair my WHOLE LIFE..I used to walk around with a t shirt on my head as hair LOL when I was a little girl!  My family has never been into weave and the whole nine yards, but my mom would get someone to do what ever the current trend was..I had a jerri curl in 2nd grade..braids...perms....updo's and everything in between!

My edges are the death of me.  My hair doesn't grow long and isn't that strong.  I have tried a few different extension methods--microlinks, microbraids, sew ins, glue ins, quick weaves!  I want to try with a lace frontal before I leap into FLW. 

So far, I've butchered 2 lace frontals...but I am still persistent!  I just want natural looking hair via weaves, that will help my natural hair grow/rest!

I stumbled upon BHM trying to figure out if I could go to a pool party with my sew in...and have been an addict ever since!  I am a product junkie, but it is something I got honestly!

Well...I truly appreciate all the time you ladies have put in to help others on the board and to help newbies like myself!!!!!
SinDerElla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 12:48pm
I'm pretty sure mine won't be this long...

I'm on a mission to grow my hair out back to my high school length of mbl and so I'm partial to weaves but my edges have just taken a hit from constant heat manipulation. I'm not sure about getting a full lace wig yet but I am very interested in frontal. So I'm trying to learn a lot from people about methods and applying, and choosing good lace wig because that will hopefully allow me to have a great frontal.

Yay!
freefromweaves View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 12:50pm
Hello Ladies .... as my name says I am (finally) free from weaves.

Due to stress, heritage, and hair abuse (every type of atachment under the sun) my own natural baby phuz gave up in summer 07.  Ther was absolutely no hairline to cover up any wefts so I tried regular wigs for a while - HATED THEM!!!!  Did loads of research for months and got my first lf from Ms Lola in October 07.  Lets just not talk about my first app too much BUT I CRIED (really) when I saw what looked like a complete hairline on my face for the first time in years.

I found BHM on google and have never looked back.  I bought 16lfs in about six months and all but two of them are still 'alive.'  I can now do a two week app. My nape holds great too.  Supertape and vapon no tape work vwery well for me and I use Becky's methods for my knots and parting.

Oh, and if some nice lady wants to adopt me - I am willing to be raised right and make her proud!LOL
prtygrl83 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 1:49pm
hi all,

I have been wearing LF' sfor about 1 year. i got tired of wearing quick wraps and it was tearing out my edges! I discovered lace fronts one day when i went into the BSS store around the corner from my house. When i first saw it i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I paid 700 dollars for that da&n thing!!! and 100 dollars to get it put on!!! i didnt know much back then.

Then i discovered this board while searching online about them. The best thing i could have done!!!! I realized i had been paying waaayyy too much for the wigs and that i could put them on myself! i dont have many units only 2. they last me a long time! i have saved hundreds of dollars from having to buy weave every two weeks.

I have been lurking around the board for about 6 months...whenever i need to know to know something i know i can find it here and i like helping other people with their problems as well.

I only use this blue tape i get from the BSS and ultra hold. Thats it! I am eventually gonna weed out the tape though. I still ahve a lot to learn as far as coloring units. I still cant seem to get my hair a honey blonde color. Maybe one of these days......nor have i been able to achieve the type of bleached knots that i want. but im getting there! Thanks ladies!
ilovelife View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 2:49pm
*****86 viewed? C'me on Ladies dont be shy-we dont bite here*****Hug
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic