Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
BunnieHoney View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expect the unexpected
    Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 3:23pm
Hello and Happy New Year fellow naturals/transitioners/newly BC'ed and lurkersLOL.

I have noticed a lot of members bc'ing and transitioning recently and even though I am in my second year as a natural, I just wanted to share some experience and tips and hope that others will jump in as well.

Scab hair:  I had no clue about this until I started lurking the boards.  I just thought that since I had not had a relaxer in my hair for over a year that I could slowly trim off the relaxed ends and my hair would be fine and what was left was my natural hair.  Boy was I wrong.  My hair was still healing, yes the hair was virgin, but it was still coming out of a scalp that had not healed from previous chemical services. I just found that my hair healed better when I did not overload it with products.

Protein:  The common belief stated, when I was lurking in 2007, was that as a natural, I would not need to use protein or as much protein as a relaxed head.  As Patricia stated in her thread, she did need protien added into her regimen.  I have found that I, too, need a regular protein treatment added to my regimen as well.  I do a protein treatment every other week with yougurt or silk amino acid added to my dc.

Textures:  I never knew about all the wonderful textures we have until this board and each should be celebrated for what each texture does.  I used to think that hair textures determines the product.  This is not true.  Once your figure out your protein/moisture balance, you hair will let you know what will work for you.

Mineral oil:  I know, I know, it's supposed to clog the pores.  Tough, my hair likes mineral oil, but the product that I use (amla oil) is washed out after one or maybe two days after application.

I have more to say, but I know that I am long-winded and don't want to bore youEmbarrassed
Sponsored Links

MsRaheem View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 4:02pm
I'd like to add that its all trial and error.
What works for someone else hair may not work for your hair even if you believe you have the same type/texture of hair.

ladymzlee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 5:00pm
Thanks BunnieHoney and MsRaheem, this is a much needed thread! I hope other long term natural will chime in to help newbies like myself to cure our false expectations. I was wondering what this "scab hair" business was.
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 5:27pm

DON'T jump onto bandwagons until you do research for YOURSELF. Its cool to hear testimonies about success with certain products, vitamins, etc; but it is essential that you research the products and methods in regards to you, your body/health, etc.

Its okay to have setbacks. Almost all of us on here have had one if not more. It helps you learn what your hair needs and doesn't need.

Please understand that MOST naturals hair grows OUT FIRST THEN DOWN. This may alleviate the 'obssession' some may have with length. I tend to look at the overall thickness of my hair and/or stretch my hair for length checks. The THICKER my hair gets the LONGER I KNOW its getting. With proper care, your hair will flourish.

Please don't forget the benefits of water. I'm on a personal challenge pertaining to water. I'm not just talking about drinking it and washing my hair with it. I'm taking about actually spritzing my hair with water every day. I look at my hair like a flower. Flowers need water to thrive. So does the hair.

If you are eating unhealthy, please DON'T think that taking a vitamin everyday is going to give you OPTIMAL hair growth. Yes, you will get some growth; but not ALL that you could. You have to NOURISH your ENTIRE body. Healthy body= healthy hair
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 6:32pm
not needing protein is a myth. my hair loves new wave shea butter for dry brittle hair. i thought it was a fluke used it a month ago. used it again and my hair was scrumptios!
tru_blu09 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 6:51pm

hey Bunnie!! I would like to know more about scab hair, tell us more!!!

hey luv, im glad to know about the whole "out then down" ready to get down :)

mstrica85 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 7:43pm
I have been transitioning for about 4-5 months now. I have been cutting the relaxed ends regularly. This has. Been pretty helpful. I do get discourgaged frpom time to time. (Nt enough 2 relax) it really is trial and error. I'm still learning myself. Keep the info coming ladies.
latamoni View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 9:12pm

This is interesting about protein.. I have been very nervous to use my ORS Replenishing Conditioner because of the protein in it. I had bad breakage really bad back in October and stopped using it. Should I try it again or leave it in the closet?

AmandaKay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 10:40pm
I realized my hair likes protein, just not animal/food protein. When I was relaxed, I could get away with the eggs and mayo. Now when I put it in my hair, it feels like southern fried chicken. I use the ORS Replenishing Pak and the Aphrogee 2 Minute Re constructor and my hair is lovely.

I've realized the importance of marching to the beat of my own hair drum. Just because Sally Sue uses boo-boo in her hair doesn't mean I need to also. I also heard my mom and people on the boards say "you need to listen to your hair." My silly butt always said, "my hair must be mute then because it doesn't say a darn thing." I realized my hair is just like my body, and when it needs something, it will let me know. I just need to pay attention.
mskraizy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 6:56am
Scab hair? How long will it take for my scalp to heal? You mean the texture of my natural hair that I'm looking at is not my real texture? Wait, can someone elaborate on this a little more please? Thank You!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic