BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Children's Hair > Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

toddler hair that wont press

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: toddler hair that wont press
    Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 1:59pm
My 3 year old used to pull her hair out AND EAT IT but has now stopped.  To get her to stop eating the hair (was causing bowel obstruction), I had to keep cutting her hair very low in the front with clippers and scissors.

Now that the hair is growing out, it is hard to braid the hair because there are still uneven, low patches and the ends in the front seem brittle and 'hard', whereas the rest of her hair is soft and normal.  I've tried all kinds of conditioners and in desperation, tried to flat iron or hot comb with low heat to help my styling options.  Her hair relaxes in the front, but what is up with the ends?  They refuse to press all the way so her hair looks crazy so I usually just section it and clip barettes or gel bands to her hair in the front.

Why I wonder, would her hair be so resistant to heat?  The rest of her hair, even the roots in the front do straighten, but barely.  It's like her tresses don't like heat.  Even when I attempt to blow dry, which has only happened twice since birth, I can't get her hair to soften and straighten slightly.  Only when wet is it 'normal'.

I use shea butter and natural oils in her hair, lots and lots of conditioner.  I shampoo only every several months.  The rest of the time I co-wash.  I only shampoo my own hair when I relax it, the rest of the time I co-wash.
Sponsored Links

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 2:09pm
you relaxed her hair at 3? Pigtails with the barrettes/bobos weren't an option?
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:37pm
How about giving her a big chop and letting it all grow in evenly and keeping it natural? While it's growing in it will look nice. Just keep her dressed girly and earrings in her ears.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 6:52am
why would you do this to a 3 year old?
sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:58am
Sugabanana

Reading for Comprehension is what you need, especially for asking a question with a negative and smart alek undertone.  My child's hair is NATURAL, her hair has NEVER been relaxed.  Re-read the question because your answer, or question rather, adds nothing to the conversation and doesn't even apply.
sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:59am
Lady Ice,

Do what?  Her hair is natural, never been relaxed.  Please re-read the post.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:02am
i read it. her hair is still growing out. why do you feel the need to press a 3 year olds hair? you havent even given it time to do what it needs to do before you start slapping oils and all that in it.. but ya know what...your baby head. i really dont give a care..what you do to it..but im curious about the mindset...like why does it just have to be straight? im sure you dont want her lookn like blue ivy but..LOLshes a baby...

girl YOU need to re read..i didnt say anything about a relaxer. didnt ask if her hair is naturalLOL

Edited by Lady ICE - Jan 31 2014 at 8:11am
sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:06am
Liesnalibis,

You are the only one so far that read the post and understood that her hair is not chemically altered in any way.

It's not practical to give her a 'big chop' as you say.  I've already done that repeatedly when she was pulling it out.  I do think that something has gone awry in cutting it so early.  The front half of her hair is what I cut off to make it all even.  It is growing in but the texture is weird and unlike the rest of her head.  The back is fine, although all of her hair doesn't seem to like heat of any kind.

She has only had heat in her head twice and that was because it was an attempt to soften it.  Still too short in the front to grip and braid so when the hair dryer with comb attachment made no difference, I use a straightening comb.  The back of her hair pressed but reverted quickly.  The front of her hair pressed only somewhat.  I was asking the fellow forum members if they had heard of anything like this and what could be the cause.

Instead, people misread the post and though I relaxed her hair, which I haven't.  Further, if I had, that would be my perogative.
sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:09am

I noticed a typo in that last paragraph, Liesnalibis.  It should read, "Instead, people misread the post and THOUGHT I relaxed her hair..."

sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:11am

I don't want her hair straight.  You don't get it.  I guess you need Reading for Comprehension as well.

It is not my nature to conduct negative posts but I'm only giving back what you give me.  You could still ask the questions you are asking in a more positive manner.  Free speech, sure, but you get what you give.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic