FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To the freelancers: how to take this

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To the freelancers: how to take this
    Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:28am
Scenario:

You meet a prospective client at your 9-5 job. She is in the market for a service that you provide. Let us just say that you are computer technician.  In your field, you provide trials first and then if the clients are pleased they book you. 

Your prospective client is educated and seems established, but is not knowledgeable on the services your provide, so much in fact she is unaware that in your line of work, you charge for trials. However, you decide not to charge her for other reasons.  

The prospective client lets you know that she is shopping around for other computer technicians who have done work for 'bigger clients', but she will still try you. During the trial she lets you know that if she doesn't like you she will use someone else....again.  She then tells you not to be nervous. You reiterate that you are not nervous. 

Overall, you get a slightly cold and pretentious vibe from her but you overlook it for the job.

After the trial, she is very pleased with the job....Thrilled as a matter of fact. 

She emails you later on to ask you your prices for the job in question as well as another trial. You price her lower than the market rate even after considering the long distance for the job and hours needed. Your respond to her with an answer and do not hear from her for a week. 

A week later she shows up at you job and she tells you that you are expensive in fact the 2nd most expensive and she is shopping around for other technicians. States that she has some trials coming up for those who are doing bigger jobs for bigger clients. She begins to comment on all the other services they offer while assuming that you do not offer such services.  

You side eye this comment because you are aware that the areas that she met these alleged technicians do not work with high end clientele and the ones that do will charge her double the price that you did.

She informs you that she realized that I did not charge her for the trial and that all the other technicians do and she did not know that.

You also ask her if those other technicians will be working for the period of time she expects you to work and will be travelling the distance as well.  She lets you know that she has decided to work for a shorter span of time.

You tell her it is okay and to continue to shop around for other technicians.

I am not sure how to take it. Was she not impressed with the trial and trying to find a polite way out or is she trying to bargain?

Edited by sbrownie84 - Jun 02 2013 at 7:39am
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:41am
I've done a lot of freelancing. My impression is that she was impressed with the trial (since you mentioned that she was thrilled at the result) but that she's trying to squeeze the lemon for more juice. You already did the trial for free and you know for a fact that the other people she's seeking trials more would charge more given the circumstances. She's trying to barter with you and trick you into lowering your prices even more and give her more advantages. Let it go.
At the end of the day, if she goes to someone else, pays less and gets subpar work, she will come back to you (and you get everything in writing at that point). If she doesn't, no need to be upset about it because you wouldn't have made a decent profit with her anyway by lowering your prices any further and she probably would have ended up being a problem customer in terms of payment.

I've had clients jerk me around like that. I've done free first assignments as well for people. Those for whom I unreasonably lowered my rates for even though I gave them a first free trial that went great turned out to be problem customers and it affected my bottom line. The ones who were satisfied with the first free assignment and kept me on and agreed to my terms ended up being loyal customers.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jun 02 2013 at 7:42am
Omni Harmony View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Omni Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:50am
Originally posted by sbrownie84 sbrownie84 wrote:

Scenario:

You meet a prospective client at your 9-5 job. She is in the market for a service that you provide. Let us just say that you are computer technician.  In your field, you provide trials first and then if the clients are pleased they book you. 

Your prospective client is educated and seems established, but is not knowledgeable on the services your provide, so much in fact she is unaware that in your line of work, you charge for trials. However, you decide not to charge her for other reasons.  

The prospective client lets you know that she is shopping around for other computer technicians who have done work for 'bigger clients', but she will still try you. During the trial she lets you know that if she doesn't like you she will use someone else....again.  She then tells you not to be nervous. You reiterate that you are not nervous. 

Overall, you get a slightly cold and pretentious vibe from her but you overlook it for the job.

After the trial, she is very pleased with the job....Thrilled as a matter of fact. 

She emails you later on to ask you your prices for the job in question as well as another trial. You price her lower than the market rate even after considering the long distance for the job and hours needed. Your respond to her with an answer and do not hear from her for a week. 

A week later she shows up at you job and she tells you that you are expensive in fact the 2nd most expensive and she is shopping around for other technicians. States that she has some trials coming up for those who are doing bigger jobs for bigger clients. She begins to comment on all the other services they offer while assuming that you do not offer such services.  

You side eye this comment because you are aware that the areas that she met these alleged technicians do not work with high end clientele and the ones that do will charge her double the price that you did.

She informs you that she realized that I did not charge her for the trial and that all the other technicians do and she did not know that.

You also ask her if those other technicians will be working for the period of time she expects you to work and will be travelling the distance as well.  She lets you know that she has decided to work for a shorter span of time.

You tell her it is okay and to continue to shop around for other technicians.

I am not sure how to take it. Was she not impressed with the trial and trying to find a polite way out or is she trying to bargain?

didn't you do this thread or something similar before?Confused  A make up artist, I think?
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:53am
Sounds like she's trying to get you to lower your price. She'll probably end up being a pain to work with. I would let it go.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:54am
This is why I have stopped giving free trials for any of the services I have provided.  This woman knows that she got a good deal and as jolie says, she's trying to barter with you.  OP, I seem to remember another thread a while ago about you giving your services away for free.  Personally, I think you should stop giving people a free ride.  Charging for trials is the only way you can weed out good clients from the ones who just want to take advantage of you.  It also sends a message that you provide a higher-caliber service.
sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 9:11am
Thanking all for the feedback :)
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 9:33am
aren't  you in the islands? i feel like everyone in the islands loves to bargain...it's part of the game they play which is you should have never given her a lower price
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 10:01am
Yeah cause if I was shopping around you wouldn't hear from me again........don't need to explain shyt.......
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 10:21am
How long does she need that service? Coz it sounds to me that she could be going around trying to get free and/or low cost trials from different technicians until she no longer needs that service
cvzx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 10:22am
she'll probably be back and use you.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>