Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care Archives > Hair Growth Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTo Grease Scalp, or Not to Grease Scalp??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Qtpie1978 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Grease Scalp, or Not to Grease Scalp??
    Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 9:37am
TGIF Ladies.!!! Woo Hoo..!
My question of the day is, is it healthier to grease your scalp, or not to grease scalp and just moisturize the actual hair focusing on the ends/actual hair..? I remember when I was a child growing up (before having a perm) everyone would stress the importance of  "greasing the scalp", but as I've gotten older, I've noticed more people not promoting this has a healthy hair move-- saying it clogs your hair pores and doesn't allow your scalp to breath.. What is everones take on this..? Should lighter grease be used on teh scalp, or not at all..??

Also, I can remember brushing the hair daily with a Bristle brush (remember that Avon Style?) being another promoted hair regiment back in the day.. Brushing the scalp was known to stimulate the scalp for hair growth.. But just as the views of "greasing the scalp" has changed over the years, it appears it has also changed on brushing the hair/scalp with a bristle brush.. Some of the downfalls of this move (so I've heard) were, it causing split ends more, and tangling the hair.. What are your thoughts on these thing, that were Once thought of as Healthy hair regiments for us to practice (Greasing the scalp and brushing the hair with bristle brush..? And what are the Best ways (that you know of) in substituting these old school regiments...
Sponsored Links

E1LEWIS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 3:03pm

Ok, this is what I know from research.  Everyone's scalp is suppose to produce oil regardless of the hair type and this includes curly/kinky hair.  Your hair grows in 3 cyles, Anagen,Catagen, and Telogen.  This is why some people's hair will only grow four years and then stop because it one grow any more.

So, a curly haired scalps produce oil, but when it grows out the oil doesn't even distrubute over the gland.  This is why you must moisturize it yourself.  Some people can have anagen cycles which last 8 years which is why they have hair to their butt or below, these growth cycles are hereditary and it is true that some people growth cycles don't last that long.  After four years, it may stop and fall out.  So, that means that their maximum growth potential is 4*6 which is 24 inches.  This means you must never cut your hair and always keep it moisturized and condtioned.  I don't know, but a growth cycle may be able to change depending or your diet.

For your brushing question, you may visit: growafrohairlong.com

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you don't understand something.

cocowhite View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 4:15pm
Well I haven't greased my scalp in years, but I do oil my scalp like every other day and I also wash twice a week and clarify once a month, to get rid of any build on my hair and scalp...Some people still do use grease because their hair response very well to it, I prefer oils because it is lite.
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 4:26pm

No, to greasing.  Just the thought of it makes me feel dirty.

Grease isn't moisture. It's... grease.  A water (moisture) resistant/repellant. On the other hand, it can be used to trap water/moisture. I put mineral oil, another moisture repellant, over my freshly moisturized hair.

Edit - Ooops, forgot. As for brushing, if your hair can take it, you can reap the benefits. If not, find another method for yourself. I think it is individual, depending on the health, and strength of your hair in addition to your brushing/combing technique. A person ripping through the hair with one of those tools can murder their hair. But if you are careful, the least amount of damage, if any, will be inflicted. My hair grew faster when I comb more often. I always used to comb my scalp lightly for a few minutes. I would brush it sometimes too. It was relaxing. I don't do this too much anymore. I have no time, and no will to do so.

Edited by Phoenix1017
TrueEssence View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2005 at 3:57am
I havent greased my scalp in years,It made my hair feeling heavy and had the feeling my scalp couldnt "breath",besides why would u put a petrol derivate on ur scalp ,its cheap and will clog your pores.Use a water based moisturizer or some light oil.Remember to leave the scalp as clean as u can .
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2005 at 9:11am

Petroleum products of any kind on TokyoRose's scalp=dandruff, dryness and itching.

When I am wearing weaves, I put WGO on the braids at the base of the scalp so that the hair from the scalp to the braid doesn't tangle.

carameldiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2005 at 10:43am
i don't grease my scalp- i will oil my scalp nitely with a mixture of rosemary oil, sweet almond oil and wheatgerm oil or jamaica black castor oil or evening primrose oil or coconut oil or apricot kernel oil.
China View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2005 at 6:31am
As a person who doesn't grease or oil their scalp, what's the reason you do it?  And if you dont do this, does you scalp feel weird?  Dry?  Tight?  I just dont get it and would like to know your experiences
carameldiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2005 at 10:19am
i oil because i have a dry scalp/dryhair and super dry ends. if i don't oil- it itches and that is not due to dirtiness because i co wash 5x a week and poo 2x a week.

Edited by carameldiva
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2005 at 11:00am
i think it's best to stay away from grease for the simple fact that it's too heavy and it clog the pores and attracts dirt very quickly. i use oil on my scalp and it does help out a lot. it helps my scalp from itching and it keep my scalp conditioned. i also use mango butter on my ends to prevent dryness and breakage.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic