Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Texturizers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Tired of Hair..Should I Relax? (PIC INCLUDED!)

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
missteam90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote missteam90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tired of Hair..Should I Relax? (PIC INCLUDED!)
    Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 2:37pm

Hi everyone, I am new to this site but I am grateful I found it! I am a latina girl with unmanagable, thick and frizzy hair. I am not sure what my hair type is (2b maybe?). I have never dyed or relaxed my hair but I do straighten it with a flat iron 3 times a week and it's time consuming/damaging. I do not have the greatest hair care routine (I wash with head&shoulders and use any cheap conditioner then put a leave-in conditioner).

I saw some youtube videos about the "just for me softener" so I bought it. I want to have hair that is not so puffy/frizzy when I air dry. Should I use the relaxer I bought to solve my hair problem?

I have included pics of me after shampooing then conditioning and air drying after.

Edited by missteam90 - Jan 26 2013 at 8:40pm
Sponsored Links

Loveverythinghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loveverythinghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2013 at 11:19am
I don't think you need a relaxer. IMO you have a good grade of hair and the texture is very pretty.
I would just start using better hair care products,something that says it's for sleek and shine.
Something that helps with the frizz and to tackle the problems you are having.

With the items you noted you are using now,they are doing nothing for your hair but probably making it worst.
It pays to use good brands for good healthy hair.

Try getting a trim and or doing a follow up appointment and ask for recommendations on hair care products that will fit your hair care type before the condition gets worst.

Instead of flat ironing get a product that you get blow dry through on low heat to try and achieve the flat iron look.
DEE80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEE80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2013 at 7:29pm
I agree, you have a good grade of hair and you don't need a texturizer or any chemical straightener in your hair. All you need is some better products. Have you tried Shea Moisture products? They're between $9.99 to 12.99, depending on where you buy them from.
KurlieBeautie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KurlieBeautie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 9:17am
I assume you like wearing your hair straightened more often than not. The frizziness can be due to a number of factors, including split ends, humidity of your home climate, etc. Have you tried Sabino Moisture Block?

If you want a more permanent, less-damaging chemical treatment, go to the salon and ask for a Brazilian Keratin Treatment. It can be kind of expensive but it coats your hair with protein and keeps it straighter longer. Some people have had success doing the treatment at home. If you search this forum u can find info. I personally wouldn't do it at home the first time around though.
missteam90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missteam90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 8:21pm

In the first photos I posted, my hair was brushed out. But these photos I will post now, I shampooed and conditioned my hair (rinsed out the conditioner well) and I put it in a towel for 5 min. Then I removed the towel and did NOT brush it and put in 4 different products which are: garnier leave in, ic fantasia serum, aloe vera gel, and tresemme mousse. My hair turned out feeling gunky after it air dried but it is less frizzy/puffy but MORE curly than the first photos I posted.

Personally, I do not like curls on me and I think I look better with straight hair. But I leave it curly sometimes since I am too lazy to flat iron it or I do not have time. So I am looking for a more permanent hair straightening method since the flat ironing is time consuming and damaging if done every other day. Do you ladies (and gentlemen if any) think that I am still a good candidate for texlaxing now that you have seen my 2c-3a hair in the pictures below?

Loveverythinghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loveverythinghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 9:18pm
"4 different products which are: garnier leave in, ic fantasia serum, aloe vera gel, and tresemme mousse"

To me that's way to many products,that's why it felt the way it did.

I would try the brazilian if you can or if you are able too.

I still wouldn't recommend a relaxer though,but tex-lax could be okay,somebody else probably could help you with that.

However do what's best for you! I'd love to have that texture hair!

Curls some days,and straight some days so I can see where you are coming from because I wear my hair straight everyday too.
 I only flat iron every 2 weeks,the rest are roller sets which has a slight curl/wave until it all falls and are slightly bumped on the end.

Your hair looks very healthy in this picture though.
 Wish I had those locs! lol
jineat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jineat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 8:10am
I wouldn't relax, I would try using a good moisturizer to take the bulk out.
katakana89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katakana89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 3:03am
OP, to help with the poofyness after airdrying I sprtiz my hair and ends with water from a spray bottle, smooth it in, then use a small dab of ORS Olive Oil creme (in the jar) on my ends by rubbing it in my palms first. I'll seal too by rubbing a small dot of oil on my hair. This really helps make my hair sleeker after air drying. I don't flat iron but I do like a sleeker look bc my hair can get really big.

I think you might be using too many products that caused your hair to have a lot of buildup in that previous post. You shouldn't really need a relaxer because your hair is already such a loose texture, but it is possible. My aunt has hair that looks similar to yours, and she relaxes it because she likes a straighter look without having to flat iron. She does her hair at home, but since you are new to it, I would definitely go to a salon you trust. You won't need a strong grade relaxer and won't need to leave it in as long. But also keep in mind that chemically treated hair is different than virgin hair and will probably need more moisture and protein in your routine than before. It all depends since everyone is different. Good luck
RedAdmiral101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedAdmiral101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 8:22pm
Know that if you do choose to use chemicals, it will eventually grow out.you will have two textures going on (straight ends,curly/wavy roots), & the line where they meet is going to be very fragile & could cause breakage. A question you might ask yourself is can I maintain this look every month (or few months, however many months you choose) & chemically treated hair requires alot of care. Just some food for thought :)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic