Mynx Hair

Author
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for Kanekalon Care
    Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 1:17pm
Just thought I'd share ladies...
Over the years, Ive experimented with Kanekalon so much that I have discovered that it can do a few things that you wouldnt believe it could doWink

I just microbraided with kanekalon and after a week and a half, the hair is still smooth and very soft. It has the texture and look of human hair and I love it. People keep asking. They are very surprised when I tell them its regular old kanekalon that you do box braids withLOL

My hair is microed very small and left loose at the ends (its only braided less than a quarter inch, so you cant see where the braids start unless you part the hair and look. It looks very natural. I left the hairline out all around for it to blend.

--first off, I did the micros without putting the hair in hot water to make it straight, like is usually done  at the salons. Then when I was done microing, I blew the hair straight (put the dryer on high). The kanekalon gets straight in seconds, once thé heat hits it (you dont need to wet the hair or anything). I applied moisturizer to the ends of my hair before blow drying and sealed with Africa's Best herbal oil. I also applied the oil to the whole length of the kanekalon, before blowing. After about 1 minute of high-speed blowing, the hair is super straight, SOFT and shiny.

I've been wearing my hair in a not too tight bun since I got it done with a slight part at the front (the hair I left out around the hairline covers the braids, so you cant see them. I comb/brush gently at nights and tie with a silk scarf (put the hair in a light bun for a slighly wavy effect the next morning if you plan to wear a pony-tail) In the mornings, I rub a dab of Africa's Best herbal oil in my palms until it gets warm, and apply lightly to the length of the hair.

Yesterday, I washed (apply shampoo to scalp only and massage well to get your scalp clean) remember, you dont need to wash the extension---the shampoo water will cleanse it).
rinse under cool water in the shower. I didnt use warm water because I used a detangling shampoo for softness, and I didnt want the risk of plaits coming loose because of the warm water. I chosed a detangling shampoo for softness because adding conditioner to the roots of the hair will make the braids slip a little.

Let the water run thrugh the hair. Do not manipulate or rub.
Then I applied Suave Lavender conditioner from the ends of my real hair to the end of the extensions, wrapped the hair into a little bun and let it sit while I showered. The hair was super soft as I rinsed the conditioner out (no rubbing!).

I blot gently with a towel, then applied Infusium to the whole length of my real hair and gently brushed the hair back to keep it smooth.
I sat in front of the fan and it was dry in no time. While the ends of my hair was still damp, I applied Africa's Best shea butter and Tea Tree moisturizer to my real hair, and sealed with the oil.. Then I applied the oil to the length of the braids, as well as a little IC hair polisher (makes it even softer!).

Then, I blew the ends of the hair with the dryer on high speed to eliminate any friziness from the washing. It reverted to being super straight, just like when the braids were first done. I put it in a loose pony and roller set the ends with medium rollers (DRY). Tied with a scarf. the morning when I took out the rollers, I had bouncy, shiny, beautiful curls. Its soft and wonderful. The hair looks and feels exactly like when it was first done.

I see a number of concerns about kanekalon and frizz, so I just wanted to testify (Big%20smile) that you can sucessfully wear it for a few weeks without frizz and knotting, by caring for the hair like you would human hair.
When I do my second wash, I'll let you know how that goes. I plan to use the same technique.

kanekalon wearing ladies, you may want to try thisWink

Edited by Wildfire - Oct 05 2009 at 4:03pm
Sponsored Links

pnutbuttahunny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 6:48pm

Very good tips, thanks for sharing.

laidback View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2006 at 3:04am
sounds cute do you have any pics
temfash View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2006 at 8:05am
Cool tips, thanks for sharing now I don't need to be scared of experimenting.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2006 at 9:19am
Originally posted by laidback laidback wrote:

sounds cute do you have any pics

I WISH. I dont have a digicam, but I'm going to try and get some taken before I take these braids down. PromiseBig smile
samanthajones67 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 10:26am
    Thanks so much for these tips!!! it is so hard to buy expensive hair.... everytime I think I got some cash for 200.00 worth of hair something else comes up....
Thanks darlin!!!

Blessings
Samantha
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 5:13pm

no probsThumbs Up  I only use expensive hair when I'm going to my stylist for a sew in weave and thats not so often.

Kanekalon only costs $100 per pack (thats ábout US$1.50) --I usually only need 2 packs or less for micros.
Human hair can range anywhere from $1,200- $2,000 per pack' (roughly US$30). Thats nearly 20 times the cost of a pack of kanekalon. mannnn!

Edited by Wildfire - Aug 24 2006 at 5:17pm
Mrembo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 9:50pm

Great tips Wildfire. can't wait to view pics.

samanthajones67 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2006 at 1:28am
    So - wildfire - have you done the second wash?
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2006 at 4:50pm
Oh yes, samanthaThumbs Up...I did it on Sunday...followed the exact steps as I did for the first wash, and the hair is still soft, flexible and not a hint of friz or knots. I use IC Fantasia polisher or Africa's Best Herbal oil every morning to maintain the softness, or at night before putting the ends of the hair on medium rollers. You wouldnt believe its kanekalon it you saw it. I plan to keep it in for another 3 weeks or so, then I'm going to put the hair on perm rods and dip in hot water for tight springy curls...I can only keep that style for a week and a half or so however, and then it will be time to take the braidsUnhappy out, because the hot water method will make the hair very dry after a while, regarddless of moisturizer, and it will start to frizz soon after that. It cant return to being straight, as I have it now, once I curl it with the rods in hot water.

Still, I would have got a good 6 or 7 weeks out of the hair anyway, so thats good enough for me. I HAVE to take pics before I get them out. and  I will, promiseSmile
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic