Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Tips for a Forcefully Dependent Student

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:29pm
Some of the more common situations in which financial aid administrators may be willing to override the dependency determination include:
  • Parents incarcerated or presumed dead.

• Student was sexually or physically abused by the parents or can document a hostile or neglectful relationship with his/her parents. The student will need to provide copies of protection from abuse orders, court documents, social worker reports, doctor reports, police records, and letters from clergy, as appropriate.

• Parents cannot be located. For example, a student who emigrated to the US without his/her parents, became a US citizen, and has not been able to contact his/her parents (or even know whether they are still alive).

• Student legally adopted by their current guardian.
Sponsored Links

coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:30pm
she can probably rent on her own.. 
i just feel like money going towards rent.. especially when you have other expenses and things you wanna do.. is extra hard. 

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by browneyez4548 browneyez4548 wrote:

Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Originally posted by Ladycoils Ladycoils wrote:

I would talk to a financial aid rep and see if you can file as an independent student. 

This....if you explain you have no contact with your parents and have a few witness write a notarized letter the decision is theirs.....sob that shyt all the way up....verbal abuse iono.....this is what I did and they let me files independent from 22-24

I was gonna suggest this, but she lives with her mom...unless things have changed, that's an auto "no" from the fin aid office

Oh I didn't read the whole thing.....Ouch.....Yeah I didn't live with my parents....I moved out at 18....so I was able to actually show proof I lived on my own in another state.....
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:33pm

I would talk to a financial aid rep and see if you can file as an independent student. 

This....if you explain you have no contact with your parents and have a few witness write a notarized letter the decision is theirs.....sob that shyt all the way up....verbal abuse iono.....this is what I did and they let me files independent from 22-24

Trust me, if I was still smaller than her, it wouldn't be only verbal abuse.

I just realized this might be the real reason why I love being tall.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

i just feel like money going towards rent.. especially when you have other expenses and things you wanna do.. is extra hard. 

Definitely would be hard. But sometimes you have to buy your peace. If she can find an acceptable roommate situation where she feels safe and can devote her time to school/work and not being emotionally abused, then it could be worth it.

Might have to be unconventional about it though. Find another poor student and share a studio apartment...exchange housing for housekeeping or caregiving...live in an intentional community...buy a van and live in it (lol it could work).
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I may join job corps. I don't know how positive the outcome will be (I'll make the final decision after plenty of research) but at least the housing and educative environment may be of help and safety.

I have just never heard good things about Job Corps...from people who were there and second hand stories. I'd almost think it'd be better to join a branch of the military.

Is there ANYONE you know who you could live with? A relative, friend, professor, anyone who needs a nanny or elder caregiver in exchange for your housing? I'm sure you probably can't rent on your own, but maybe finding roommates who are in a similar position? I know that opens you up to other sucky possibilities, but maybe it's an option. I've known some people who found great roommates through craigslist (like living with an old lady for like 300$/month who never bothered them).

Are there any public universities you could get into that have dorms? That's also an option, especially in public school systems that have some schools with super low enrollment.

That doesn't surprise me. Dead
I've been asking around while trying to skirt around the reason why but it's hard to because she has already broadcasted her version which is highly biased and exaggerated.

So family is a no go, Africans and respect for elders is huge. However, I have contacted my father and I think in terms of family, he is my best bet. He lives in Ghana however, but if he can help me in any way, he does what he can.

I'm going to be asking friends for any possible help in housing and also looking on craigslist. I feel craigslist is risky, but at this point, I'll insure myself with information and proper documentation.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:39pm

Definitely would be hard. But sometimes you have to buy your peace. If she can find an acceptable roommate situation where she feels safe and can devote her time to school/work and not being emotionally abused, then it could be worth it.

Might have to be unconventional about it though. Find another poor student and share a studio apartment...exchange housing for housekeeping or caregiving...live in an intentional community...buy a van and live in it (lol it could work).

Ouch
i feel like just staying at home and continuing to avoid her mother would be better.. from the OP it sounded like they barely speak… 

almost everything you mentioned sounds dreadful… 
whats your location midna? 

browneyez4548 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browneyez4548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:39pm

Originally posted by browneyez4548 browneyez4548 wrote:

I was gonna suggest this, but she lives with her mom...unless things have changed, that's an auto "no" from the fin aid office

Oh I didn't read the whole thing.....Ouch.....Yeah I didn't live with my parents....I moved out at 18....so I was able to actually show proof I lived on my own in another state.....

Yeah...if she moves out, she would have to be living on her own for at least 6 months and would have to have had 0 contact with mom...each school is different on how they make you prove that, but the notarized statements that you mentioned are standard..and yes...create a sob story LOL

To be 100% honest, having worked in fin aid before...you hear/read so many things about sh*tty parents, you almost become numb to it all....but a sob story helps Lol If you just write some sh*t like "I hate my mom, and she hates me" you will be denied Lol
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by HunnyB HunnyB wrote:

Some of the more common situations in which financial aid administrators may be willing to override the dependency determination include:
  • Parents incarcerated or presumed dead.

• Student was sexually or physically abused by the parents or can document a hostile or neglectful relationship with his/her parents. The student will need to provide copies of protection from abuse orders, court documents, social worker reports, doctor reports, police records, and letters from clergy, as appropriate.

• Parents cannot be located. For example, a student who emigrated to the US without his/her parents, became a US citizen, and has not been able to contact his/her parents (or even know whether they are still alive).

• Student legally adopted by their current guardian.

I don't know how effective this method will be, but if things ever escalate, I'll record. I can also provide past police reports from the physical abuse. There should also be documents with CPS from when I was a minor.
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:45pm

Ouch
i feel like just staying at home and continuing to avoid her mother would be better.. from the OP it sounded like they barely speak… 

almost everything you mentioned sounds dreadful… 
whats your location midna? 

You have no idea how hard it is to survive in that situation... i moved out and slept on a friends floor for around 8 months all while studying and I never looked back... nothing worse that having your heart sink every night you go home....

Do what you need to do Midna.... you may struggle for a time but for peace of mind and sanity its all worth it....
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic