BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Tips for a Forcefully Dependent Student

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Originally posted by yurika975 yurika975 wrote:

Midna is there any way you could take the course at a local community college? Not to pry but when you say it didn't go well, did she refuse to give you the info you need? So sorry, I know it can be very upsetting. My little sis had a bit of difficulty with this. My dad worked his way through college. I had to work on him. It's all good now and they understand that the info is to help her obtain aid for her education. Plus I now do the taxes for the last few years and increased their refunds. Grr for resistance.

Oh yes, I'm at a CC currently. I paid for school out of pocket since it was more affordable there and the school thankfully allowed payment plans.

I did my GE with the intent of transferring but now that I want a short term career now to support me as I get my get my bachelor's, the cost has risen exponentially.. as expected. It would have risen beyond my ability to pay out of pocket had this loan been for a non-trade uni anyway.

It was her basically refusing and insulting me. I'm stubborn myself and don't like spats so I tried to defuse the situation but she just got more and more volatile.
I broke down once I got in my room. Ouch

I know she's my mom.. but she's not maternal. I keep a safe distance from her for the sake of my sanity and not falling into depression again like I did growing up.

She's more of a bully than a mother.

Cry aww really Midna. You seem like a sweet girl but parents can be nuts. I understand wanting to be out and away. 
Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:16pm
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I may join job corps. I don't know how positive the outcome will be (I'll make the final decision after plenty of research) but at least the housing and educative environment may be of help and safety.
browneyez4548 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browneyez4548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:18pm

Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

How old are you?

I'm 22.

Why I am still considered a dependent, I don't know. :\

You're under the age of 24, doesn't matter how much money you make or if you never ask your mom for a dime of support..the DOE auto consider you dependent...stupid...but yeah...

Has your mom always had custody of you? If you don't want to answer here, you can PM me
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Ladycoils Ladycoils wrote:

I would talk to a financial aid rep and see if you can file as an independent student. 

This....if you explain you have no contact with your parents and have a few witness write a notarized letter the decision is theirs.....sob that shyt all the way up....verbal abuse iono.....this is what I did and they let me files independent from 22-24
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:23pm
What to do if your parents refuse to complete financial aid forms.
Remind your parents that submitting the forms does not obligate them to provide support, but that if they refuse to file the FAFSA, you will not be eligible for any need-based aid on your own.

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 amended the Higher Education Act of 1965 to permit college financial aid administrators to to offer dependent students an unsubsidized Stafford loan without requiring the parents to file a FAFSA, provided that the financial aid administrator verifies that the parents have ended financial support and refuse to file the FAFSA. The unsubsidized Stafford loan is not based on financial need and its a loan, but at least it's something to help you pay for school.

But if you can convince your parents to file the FAFSA, you might qualify for need-based aid, such as the subsidized Stafford loan, Perkins loan, and Pell Grant, as well as institutional aid. By refusing to file, they prevent you from getting any of this aid.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browneyez4548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:24pm
If your mom budges and gives you her info, you could qualify for an income adjustment. Idk when your classes start, but the 2014-15 school year doesn't start till July1st, so if you already have a 13/14 app, you can let your fin aid office know about the drop in income and they should be able to do what is called a "professional judgement" for the 13/14 school year

HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:25pm
Independent Student Status

The Federal requirements for independent student status changed in 1992. Since then, the student must satisfy at least one of the following criteria to be considered independent:

• The student is 24 year of age or older by December 31 of the award year.
  • The student is an orphan or ward of the court or was a ward of the court until the student reached the age of 18.
  • The student is a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States.
  • The student is a graduate or professional student.
  • The student is married.
  • The student has legal dependents other than a spouse. (Dependent means receiving more than half the individual's support from the student.)
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:26pm

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I may join job corps. I don't know how positive the outcome will be (I'll make the final decision after plenty of research) but at least the housing and educative environment may be of help and safety.

I have just never heard good things about Job Corps...from people who were there and second hand stories. I'd almost think it'd be better to join a branch of the military.

Is there ANYONE you know who you could live with? A relative, friend, professor, anyone who needs a nanny or elder caregiver in exchange for your housing? I'm sure you probably can't rent on your own, but maybe finding roommates who are in a similar position? I know that opens you up to other sucky possibilities, but maybe it's an option. I've known some people who found great roommates through craigslist (like living with an old lady for like 300$/month who never bothered them).

Are there any public universities you could get into that have dorms? That's also an option, especially in public school systems that have some schools with super low enrollment.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browneyez4548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Originally posted by Ladycoils Ladycoils wrote:

I would talk to a financial aid rep and see if you can file as an independent student. 

This....if you explain you have no contact with your parents and have a few witness write a notarized letter the decision is theirs.....sob that shyt all the way up....verbal abuse iono.....this is what I did and they let me files independent from 22-24

I was gonna suggest this, but she lives with her mom...unless things have changed, that's an auto "no" from the fin aid office

Edited by browneyez4548 - Apr 17 2014 at 10:26pm
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:26pm
Midna you have any male prospects?LOL jk
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style