BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Tips for a Forcefully Dependent Student

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:57pm
Midna is there any way you could take the course at a local community college? Not to pry but when you say it didn't go well, did she refuse to give you the info you need? So sorry, I know it can be very upsetting. My little sis had a bit of difficulty with this. My dad worked his way through college. I had to work on him. It's all good now and they understand that the info is to help her obtain aid for her education. Plus I now do the taxes for the last few years and increased their refunds. Grr for resistance.
Sponsored Links

danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danieb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

You don't need a cosigner for federal loans.

Sorry for your dilemma, && that I can't be more helpful. The dependence thing sucks big time.

I tried to complete my Fafsa application and because of my eligibility, I was only eligible for an unsubsidized loan that did require one. Ouch

Anyway, thank you.

You got some misinformation midna. A federal loans require no consign. Only private. I had to do a small unsubsidized one this semester for some expenses. They asked for references but not a consigner.

I would call again and speak to someone in financial aid. A government loan should NOT ask you for a consigner!!!

Edited by danieb23 - Apr 17 2014 at 10:01pm
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:00pm
I wondered about that too. Fed loans need references aka who to hit up when you are missing with their money. Private loans need cosigners. Go back, wail and ask to speak to someone. Darn you auto correct...

Edited by yurika975 - Apr 17 2014 at 10:01pm
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:03pm

Thank you, I really do appreciate it.

The university I got accepted at gave me some pretty depressing news when it came to my age so the difficulty factor has already been well established.

I do want to look for loans that don't require a cosigner but the ones I've found so far have been quite sketchy and with a guarantee of capitalized interest even if I defer/pay a set amount/pay interest. I'm far from done researching though.

I will definitely check that subreddit out! And yes I do cosplay! I actually bought a sewing machine a couple of months ago as a means to expand my cosplaying skillset but also create skills for business purposes. There is solidarity with black cosplayers and to bring business into that solidarity would be fantastic.

Thank you. Thank you so much.

Well I think there is so much you can do, especially since you have a sewing machine. I'm into steampunk myself and there isn't near enough black folk creating in that arena. And you have groups of white folks getting paid 1k for steampunk inspired skirt and other stuff.

Is there any way you can do a program through a community college so there will be less financial burden? I just feel like I see loans handed out like candy on halloween (which is obviously not a good thing all the time) that there's got to be a way to do this for you.

Other subreddits to check out might be r/studentloans and r/raisedbynarcissists (for support if you have to continually deal with an irrational ridiculous parent).

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:04pm
yeah, as far as i know, fed direct loans sub or unsub are for automatically accepted while the direct loan PLUS requires a co-signer for most.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by yurika975 yurika975 wrote:

Midna is there any way you could take the course at a local community college? Not to pry but when you say it didn't go well, did she refuse to give you the info you need? So sorry, I know it can be very upsetting. My little sis had a bit of difficulty with this. My dad worked his way through college. I had to work on him. It's all good now and they understand that the info is to help her obtain aid for her education. Plus I now do the taxes for the last few years and increased their refunds. Grr for resistance.

Oh yes, I'm at a CC currently. I paid for school out of pocket since it was more affordable there and the school thankfully allowed payment plans.

I did my GE with the intent of transferring but now that I want a short term career now to support me as I get my get my bachelor's, the cost has risen exponentially.. as expected. It would have risen beyond my ability to pay out of pocket had this loan been for a non-trade uni anyway.

It was her basically refusing and insulting me. I'm stubborn myself and don't like spats so I tried to defuse the situation but she just got more and more volatile.
I broke down once I got in my room. Ouch

I know she's my mom.. but she's not maternal. I keep a safe distance from her for the sake of my sanity and not falling into depression again like I did growing up.

She's more of a bully than a mother.

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:08pm

You don't need a cosigner for federal loans.

Sorry for your dilemma, && that I can't be more helpful. The dependence thing sucks big time.

I tried to complete my Fafsa application and because of my eligibility, I was only eligible for an unsubsidized loan that did require one. Ouch

Anyway, thank you.

You got some misinformation midna. A federal loans require no consign. Only private. I had to do a small unsubsidized one this semester for some expenses. They asked for references but not a consigner.

I would call again and speak to someone in financial aid. A government loan should NOT ask you for a consigner!!!

Ah then I must have been directed to a private loan. Dead

I'll try this again. I appreciate your help, everyone!
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:12pm
ive always been independent.. 
too bad you didnt get a legal guardian or something.  

Edited by coconess - Apr 17 2014 at 10:12pm
Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:12pm
I would talk to a financial aid rep and see if you can file as an independent student. 
browneyez4548 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browneyez4548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by HunnyB HunnyB wrote:

Originally posted by browneyez4548 browneyez4548 wrote:

If no one answers this, I'll answer once Scandal is over

|| Pause >>>>>>>>>>>LOL

Ok, show is over LOLEmbarrassed

Due to Olivia's peer pressure, I sip wine when I watch ScandalLOL...I'm not drunk...but I may have to come back tomorrow and explain things a little better if for some reason I don't/can't do it now (I doubt it, but yeah..) anywho...let me see what's been said so far...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic