Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Tips for a Forcefully Dependent Student

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for a Forcefully Dependent Student
    Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:29pm
BHM, I can't stop crying. My mother is not the nicest nor the most rational person to the point of abuse.

I'm finally calling a spade a spade.

To put it short, I'm trying to pursue billing and coding as a short term goal to get out of this house ASAP.

In past years, I could not receive financial aid because I was considered a dependent and she earned too much. Now that she got fired from one of her jobs, I was hoping her income was now low enough. I don't talk to her much. Other than a simple hello or reading whatever text message she sends me once in a blue moon, we don't talk and I prefer it that way for the sake of peace. But with financial aid, I had to ask her for help through the supplementing of her information or the cosigning of a federal loan I would take out.

It didn't go well.

I'm researching all I can do, but does anyone here have any tips to share? I just want a better job ASAP so I can earn more to leave. I work minimum wage so me already paying for everything except the roof over my head sucks a paycheck away pretty quickly. However, if I pass this interview and secure this new potential job, I can move up to $13 an hour.

Even if I move out, I may still be legally considered a dependent. But at least as long as I'm out of here, I'm fine with that. I don't want to wait until I'm 24 and I'm certainly not getting pregnant but if I have no other options left (besides loan sharks, but no thank you) I'll wait.
Sponsored Links

browneyez4548 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browneyez4548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:33pm
If no one answers this, I'll answer once Scandal is over

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:43pm
First, it really sucks you're going through this. Ugh. But you're smart and resourceful so I'm sure you'll be able to make this work.

I've dealt with a lot of high school students applying for financial aid with no help from family. You just have to make the best of a bad situation. It is possible to get student loans without your mom as a cosigner. The best place to start is with the financial aid office of any school you're going to. Unfortunately, it'll be difficult so just be prepared for that. Obviously try not to take out too many loans, especially for a program that may not be worth it (do your research). But do what you have to do to make things work.

In the meantime, is there anyone else you can live with that would be a more supportive influence in your life? That might help when it comes to tax time because then your mom can't claim you as a dependent which would help your financial aid situation.

As a way to supplement your current wages...have you tried online work? If you have internet there seem to be lots of places to try out. Leapforce comes to mind as well as Amazon Mturk. Check out reddit.com/r/workonline, reddit.com/r/mturk to get more info and wade into it. It seems like any little bit might help your situation. You could also consider something related to one of your hobbies, you cosplay right? Not a lot of black cosplayers showcasing their creations online...at least from what I see. Maybe a blog is something you could do (and monetize).

I wish I had more specific help but my brain is tired at the moment. I'll add more if I can think of it.

nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:43pm
How old are you?
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:49pm
Thank you, I really do appreciate it.

The university I got accepted at gave me some pretty depressing news when it came to my age so the difficulty factor has already been well established.

I do want to look for loans that don't require a cosigner but the ones I've found so far have been quite sketchy and with a guarantee of capitalized interest even if I defer/pay a set amount/pay interest. I'm far from done researching though.

I will definitely check that subreddit out! And yes I do cosplay! I actually bought a sewing machine a couple of months ago as a means to expand my cosplaying skillset but also create skills for business purposes. There is solidarity with black cosplayers and to bring business into that solidarity would be fantastic.

Thank you. Thank you so much.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

How old are you?

I'm 22.

Why I am still considered a dependent, I don't know. :\
danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote danieb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:51pm
You don't need a cosigner for federal loans.

Sorry for your dilemma, && that I can't be more helpful. The dependence thing sucks big time. My cousin is 24, own house, car, career, etc and is still considered dependent.

Edited by danieb23 - Apr 17 2014 at 9:52pm
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by browneyez4548 browneyez4548 wrote:

If no one answers this, I'll answer once Scandal is over

|| Pause >>>>>>>>>>>LOL
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

You don't need a cosigner for federal loans.

Sorry for your dilemma, && that I can't be more helpful. The dependence thing sucks big time.

I tried to complete my Fafsa application and because of my eligibility, I was only eligible for an unsubsidized loan that did require one. Ouch

Anyway, thank you.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:55pm
i understand that you cant stand your mom.. but you just said that you pay for everything except the roof over your head and that sucks away most of your check. When your main goal is the schooling which you dont have the money for.. why add to your expenses by needing to pay rent? 

i feel like schooling should be the main priority.. continue avoiding your mother.. youve done it this long. 

i dont have many tips i can offer besides trying to get a good credit card.. try with a credit union.. it wont be 13k but it could help..  could they work out a payment plan for school?
good luck. 

Edited by coconess - Apr 17 2014 at 9:58pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon