Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

TIMEs Person of the Year: President Obama

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIMEs Person of the Year: President Obama
    Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 4:29am

President Barack Obama Named Time's Person of the Year

TIME Person of the Year 2012
The cover of TIME's 2012 Person of the Year issue, featuring President Barack Obama. (Time Inc.

Dec. 19, 2012

From a shortlist that included a Pakistani teenager, the new leader of Egypt and a former president, Barack Obama has for the second time been named Time magazine's person of the year.

In an essay on the weekly decision, Michael Scherer, the magazine's White House correspondent, points to "the Obama effect," and how it can be quantified.

"It could be measured — in wars stopped and started; industries saved, restructured or reregulated; tax cuts extended; debt levels inflated; terrorists killed; the health-insurance system reimagined; and gay service members who could walk in uniform with their partners," Scherer wrote.

The selection of Obama by the magazine was announced on NBC's "Today" show.

This is the second time the magazine has bestowed the honor on the president. Four years ago, as president-elect after his victory over John McCain in 2008, he was also given the honor.

Other contenders on the magazine's short list this year included Malala Yousafzai, the teen Pakistani advocate for education for girls who was shot by the Taliban, Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi, and Bill and Hillary Clinton.

The magazine named 17-year-old Yousafzai 2012's runner-up.

"Since October her message has been heard around the world, from cramped classrooms where girls scratch out lessons in the dirt to the halls of the U.N. and national governments and NGOs, where legions of activists argue ever more vehemently that the key to raising living standards throughout the developing world is the empowerment of women and girls," Aryn Baker, Time's Middle East bureau chief, said in a profile.

Last year, amid the Arab Spring, the Occupy Wall Street movement and other action around the world, "the protestor" was named Time's person of the year. In 2010 it went to Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Dec 20 2012 at 4:30am
Sponsored Links

Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 4:34am
I like Obama..I really do but they should have but that girl on the cover 
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 4:49am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

i think it should have been a tie

"It could be measured — in wars stopped and started; industries saved, restructured or reregulated; tax cuts extended; debt levels inflated; terrorists killed; the health-insurance system reimagined; and gay service members who could walk in uniform with their partners," Scherer wrote.
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

I agree, the girl should have made the cover IMO
teendiva View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 6:11am
Oh...congrats to him.
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 6:22am
it was a great choice imo...she still made the list so that's great
*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Belle*Femme* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 6:54am
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

it was a great choice imo...she still made the list so that's great
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 7:22am
Man, she made the list. Between her and Barry, I'm stick with the Potus.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic