It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Soulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tightening weave
    Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 2:40am
Hello ladies,

I did my "due diligence" (tried to search, DivaV) and I couldn't find anything on "tightening" a weave.  The woman who did my sew-in says that most of her clients get their weave "tightened" at 5-6 weeks and that by doing that they can go nearly 3 months.

What's involved?

Is it advised?

TIA
Sponsored Links

DivaVocals View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 3:06am
IMO, the whole "tightening" of the weave is a way some stylists use to get more money out of you..

If you do not have any tracks where the thread has broken or coming loose, you don't really need this service. Truthfully for the rare occasional track that comes loose and needs to be re-sewn I have always just done this myself since when it has happened it was between a salon visit. So I could fix it myself faster than I could get it fixed.. Other than making sure that all the tracks are still well secure there really isn't any "tightening" they can do.. To tighten the braids, you have to take down the entire weave and redo the tracks.. 
ThAbAdDeStBaBy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 3:24am
ITA with Diva, "tightening" is only the threading over the wefts and cornrows...if the cornrows/braids are loose then its just time to take it out and redo because tightening on loose braids can cause excessive and unnecessary tension to your hair, and thats not a good thing. HTH
Nichelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 10:08am
I've gone back to get it "tightened" but it was really just to add a track or two to wear my braids had grown back.  If you have cornrows braided straight back and hair left out in the front, once your hair grows, there will be extra space between the weave and your leave out hair.  I've actually tried myself to add a track or two in this space and got frustrated with tying the ends down, so I went back to the stylist.  However, she didn't charge me anything.  And she even sewed down a loose weft as well.
Soulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 10:17am
I think I'm gonna go in and let her do it this time; I do have an end that came loose. She's only charging $30 for it; and an additional $10 to relax my leave-out hair.  She only relaxed the edges before and my horseshoe looks like Sissy Spacek playing Loretta Lynn; I don't wanna mess with trying to relax that bit without touching anything else.
Nichelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 10:34am
See, $10 for a spot of relaxer makes me a little upset!  I've actually relaxed my leave out myself, since I go to an African Braider.  But, do what makes you comfortable.  So how is that EP relaxed holding up?
havilland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 2:41pm
my old stylist used to tighten too.  but i only did it once at 4 weeks when i wore my weave for 8 weeks.  i got it tightened at the midpoint of 4 weeks.  she just went through and sewed over the tracks again where they were all loose and hanging.  i had horizontal braids at the time.

i would never do it again though becuase the takedown was too tangled and matted.  no breakage, but it was rough!

she did not charge me anything extra though.  just regular styling rates.
MissLuxurious View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 2:53pm

Tightening is good in extending the life of a weave, especially if your hair grows fast, and it really does work.

All it basically entails is going over the track and weft with a needle and thread. It gets everything to lay down flat again.

However, I don't think its good to wear an install past 8 weeks anyways, so in most cases a re-tightening isnt needed. Also, the ends shouldn't be lifting if it was done correctly.

This is why I always stress, secure six times at the ends,  cut the double threaded needle so you have enough room to make knots, knot the ends twice, and then snip the excess.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic