Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tie Welfare Benefits To Children's Grades?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.29  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

parental involvement is important but a child's performance in school is contingent upon their school, their teacher, resources available...etc

This

i honestly believe that if a child wants to succeed, they will, regardless of the type of school they go to. if anything, parent input is what will make them succeed. parents doing the basics such as checking homework, signing book diaries, reading together (even 15mins a day), showing their faces at school, calling here and there on the phone for progress report, etc can make a difference. the parent does not even need to be educated to do all that...it is actually minimal input. 

in low income areas they have so many FREE after school stuff where the parents can really take advantage but they rarely don't. i don't understand why. it's a win-win situation...send the child to learn, have some free time to yourself instead of letting your child run amok on streets. 
Sponsored Links

nicks_hotmama06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nicks_hotmama06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 11:14pm
My aunt had a student who was sick. They called her mother to come and get her. Her mother objected to coming because she said she was spending time with her boyfriend and the girl would get in the way of that. My aunt said the woman lives on assistance. Does he not realize that a LOT of kids have stupid parents? Are they supposed to starve and be under a bridge because of something they have no control over?
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by texasmami0117 texasmami0117 wrote:

Its going to cost more money to implement a law like this than the money they would be saving from cutting benefits

i don't see that as the point. the point would be for children to have the education to not fall into the cycle. 
and for that, i wouldn't mind them spending money. 
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 11:21pm
....so, what's going to happen to the children if these families lose their welfare benefits?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 11:22pm
but this is about the grades. not if they have bad/good teachers.
and if they aren't getting the grades, a parent might be more concerned to actually see progress by going to those teacher meetings, and finding out why their student is doing all they can in the classroom... but getting sucky grades. 
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 11:28pm
If this law/provision passes, I would a expect a uptick in crime.  Plus does this law takes into account if the student school is adequately funded and has access to free to low cost tutors?  I mean a teacher can only do so much within a x amount of hours in the day. 
nicks_hotmama06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicks_hotmama06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 11:29pm
Quote is not working......

Edited by nicks_hotmama06 - Jan 30 2013 at 11:35pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

If this law/provision passes, I would a expect a uptick in crime.  Plus does this law takes into account if the student school is adequately funded and has access to free to low cost tutors?  I mean a teacher can only do so much within a x amount of hours in the day. 

IMO. students aren't likely to be self-motivated. especially if they come from certain situations. 
so even providing those tutors, with no one signing up for it can be an issue. 

i also think this could cut down on students who skip class without their parent's knowledge. 
why an uptick in crime?
tropical-punch View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropical-punch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 11:46pm
what a weight to bear
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

im convinced law makers are not that smart

This...welfare isn't an automatic ticket to failure. I know plenty of people who grew up on welfare who did well in school and went on to get off the system and be "productive members" of society.

ETA: I also knew/know plenty of well-to-do's who were total academic bums.

In other words, financial circumstances have NOTHING to do with someone's ability to do well in school. Now, actual parenting skills do.

Edited by modelbusiness82 - Jan 30 2013 at 11:51pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>