Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

through the eyes of a male dominican

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cocoa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 10:17pm

Sponsored Links

KottonKandy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KottonKandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 10:26pm
I was randomly talking to a "redbone" Dominican. He asked me what was I mixed with. Looking confused, I said my black self? I'm just AA. I'm the color of Queen Latifah (similar). He said the DR is different from America because over there you're only considered black if you are really dark. After that encounter, I started hearing how Dominicans don't like to consider themselves black of from Africa...interesting...
KottonKandy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KottonKandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Cocoa Cocoa wrote:

The way she starting rolling the 'r' sound towards the middle of her speech bothers me LOL. 
herwoman View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

dominicans are in another level

whats funny is this is similar to what lala said and if i recall her accounts were discounted
What did LaLa say?
Missvw View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 8:22am
Why the hell is she rolling the r's? 
She kept bringing up that because her hair is 'long' people believe that she is Dominican. Confused

Edited by Missvw - Sep 13 2013 at 8:27am
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

And then one day, my dad shocked me when he said that while he is Dominican and a Latino, he is a black man before all else. I found his comment strange and argued with him. I said to him: "You aren't black." And he replied that he is and that's where all our ancestors are from. The difference is we just speak Spanish in comparison to African-Americans. We are part of the diaspora.

i think too many people wait too late to teach their kids this if they do at all.  my niece said something crazy to me last year that i knew we as a family failed her. i was embarrassed for her and myself.

*nods*

I cant fathom why an obviously black person would think they aren't from the same ancestry of people who look exactly like them, simply because they were born in another part of the world. Ridiculous.

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by KottonKandy KottonKandy wrote:

I was randomly talking to a "redbone" Dominican. He asked me what was I mixed with. Looking confused, I said my black self? I'm just AA. I'm the color of Queen Latifah (similar). He said the DR is different from America because over there you're only considered black if you are really dark. After that encounter, I started hearing how Dominicans don't like to consider themselves black of from Africa...interesting...

LOLthis is what i dont get....all of the Caribbean had enslaved Africans...all of it was colonized...why do Dominicans think their Black is any different from that of their sister island, Haiti? or Barbados, or anywhere else? sheer delisional

Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 7:42pm
I don't believe the chick in the vid is Hispanic. Is there a vid of her speaking Spanish because the way she rolled her rrrrr's at the beginning was weird as hell. I didn't watch the entire video
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by KottonKandy KottonKandy wrote:

LOLthis is what i dont get....all of the Caribbean had enslaved Africans...all of it was colonized...why do Dominicans think their Black is any different from that of their sister island, Haiti? or Barbados, or anywhere else? sheer delisional

Because they've been brainwashed for a long time. It has to do with their history. They had this dictator, Trujillo in the 30's or 40's, I think, who was a mulatto and who hated anything associated with blackness and Africa. He committed a genocide against the Haitian Dominicans that lived on the DR part of the island and put in place policies to attract white immigrants to the island so he could "drown out the black". Everything having to do with blackness is seen as dirty and they fervently deny their African roots. They could cut you if you even suggest it, lol, even if they're blue black . The history of slavery is not taught to them, in school or at home. Like you said, they're delusional.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Sep 13 2013 at 7:51pm
Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I
Black diasporians are f*cked around the world

I can agree with that

Definitely
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training