Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thoughts on this post? (Academic Achievement Gap)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on this post? (Academic Achievement Gap)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 4:23pm
But how many parents in these communities can barely read themselves or don't believe in it.
Sponsored Links

HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 4:27pm
Hmmm damn I didn't catch the racists parts. I thought it was really about schools in poor neighborhoods.

Welp we get the blame for everything else why not the blame for Americans ranking so low in international trst scores
LovesHim View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LovesHim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

But how many parents in these communities can barely read themselves or don't believe in it.

many of them can't.... however the ones who can read are not investing the time either....
Not just because they are horrible parents but because they dont know what the academic expectations are and how they've changed in the past years
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

Hmmm damn I didn't catch the racists parts. I thought it was really about schools in poor neighborhoods.

Welp we get the blame for everything else why not the blame for Americans ranking so low in international trst scores

There were many racist statements that implied and flat-out stated that AA/Blacks' low performance in school is due to our inherent inferiority - and that it is supposedly our in our nature to be academically and intellectually inferior than our counterparts. 
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2013 at 9:32am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Who wrote this article? The author just said the failing school systems were run by black people until adults stepped in, implying that black people are not adults...and said there's a natural racial gap in learning. I can't really take this article seriously.

As far as underachievement in the black community, I place the blame squarely on us. I recognize the structural issues (poverty, lack of funding, lack of appropriate educational interventions, etc) but there is far too much dysfunction that rests squarely on our shoulders. Let me know when there's a conversation about that.

^ pretty much. 

And I avoided calling that post an "article" for a reason - I think that's giving the author too much credit; sounded more like a vent/rant as opposed to a legitimate 'article.' 
LovesHim View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovesHim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2013 at 9:35am
that article is ridiculous.... 

however in my profession as a school psychologist I see very noticeable differences in how "they" do things in regards to academics/environmental exposure/language/behavior and how "we" do things.... 

these differences often lead to our children appearing to be lower performers 
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2013 at 9:59am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Who wrote this article? The author just said the failing school systems were run by black people until adults stepped in, implying that black people are not adults...and said there's a natural racial gap in learning. I can't really take this article seriously.

As far as underachievement in the black community, I place the blame squarely on us. I recognize the structural issues (poverty, lack of funding, lack of appropriate educational interventions, etc) but there is far too much dysfunction that rests squarely on our shoulders. Let me know when there's a conversation about that.

came from this site

This website will serve to educate the general public on Black people and the Stuff That Black People Don't Like. Black people have many interesting eccentricities, which include disliking a litany of everyday events, places, household objects and other aspects of their everyday life. Black people are an interesting subject matter and this website will chronicle the many problems in life that agitate this group of people. To suggest material, please contact sbpdl1@gmail.com

http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/2012/05/its-all-same-only-names-will-change.html

Edited by SamoneLenior - Dec 31 2013 at 10:01am
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftywefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2014 at 8:24pm
The issue is that the actual student body looks significantly different than it did 50 years ago. In many school districts, they are fully including students with learning disabilities, as well as english language learners. Teachers are given very little training and support in meeting the needs of these students. Whether the disability is academic or emotional/social based, the consequences of having such students in a school definitely changes the dynamic. I'm a fan of the inclusion model because throwing all the "sped" kids in the basement is indeed barbaric… We just need to better equip educators to meet their needs. Teaching is difficult because there is no one size fits all answer. Each child has their own unique story and combination of interventions and such that will influence and encourage them to do the right thing. There's a reason why teachers typically leave the field 5 years in…They often feel overwhelmed, under appreciated, disillusioned, and basically burned out. I'm very much considering home schooling. The job that teachers are asked to do is impossible and I don't want my child to get lost in the system.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:35am
those comments...smh.   goes to show what kind of site that is.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:45am
I'd like for the author of this shyt article to kindly fukk off, please and thank you. Only racist whites believe anything in the Bell Curve is true and unfortunately, that's exactly who the fukk is teaching our kids. The system needs to be overhauled and a more egalitarian solution to education needs to be applied or we can just sit out of the international competition for academic excellence. Black kids are just as capable of learning, but only if you understand the cultural differences that prevent whites from understanding HOW to teach us.

Charter schools aren't successful because they are privatized miracles. They are successful because they, in part, understand how to teach black children.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic