Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thoughts on this post? (Academic Achievement Gap)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on this post? (Academic Achievement Gap)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on this post? (Academic Achievement Gap)
    Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 7:20am
Stumbled across this post about inner city schools in America. I'll hold my thoughts for now, but wanted to share this and see your opinions. 

What do you think - agree/disagree with the point(s) the writer expresses? and explain why. 

It's all the same, only the names will change

It's all the same, only the names will change
Everyday it seems we're wasting away
Another place where the faces are so cold
I'd drive all night just to get back home.
- Bon Jovi

Almost exclusively Black Clayton County (Georgia) loses its accreditation in 2009.

We could have been on Mars...
The Atlanta Public School (APS) scandal of 2011, perhaps the biggest academic scandal in America. 83 percent of those enrolled in APS are Black. The Atlanta Journal Constitution investigates other school systems - almost all majority Black- and finds massive cheating going on across the nation.

The city leaders in almost exclusively Black Memphis voted to dissolve Memphis City Schools (an insolvent system), and merge with the county:
About 85% of students in the city are African-American, and about 87% are considered "low-income," according to court records. By contrast, many schools in the mostly suburban county have a majority of white, middle-class students. 
The county had resisted the merger and had filed a federal lawsuit, worried about the added responsibility of funding the city schools in a weak economy. Under the judge's ruling, Shelby County officials will now be responsible for funding both systems.
Kansas City School District (another majority Black district) lost its accreditation in late 2011.

Detroit Public Schools (home to the lowest scoring students in America) was taken over by the state of Michigan in 2010. At 88 percent Black, every student eats a free lunch courtesy of you, the taxpayer. Plans for this takeover were started in 1999.

Philadelphia and Washington D.C. are under intense scrutiny for "miracle" test gains that stretch the credulity of those who privately know the findings of The Bell Curve to be true, but publicly know that giving credence to this racist screed would be career suicide.

But it is in Birmingham City Schools (located in Jefferson County, Alabama, which recently declared the biggest municipal bankruptcy in American history) that a new low has been reached. Birmingham City Schools are 98 percent Black - yes, you read that correctly: 98 percent of students are Black! - and routinely battle with Detroit Public Schools for the worst test scores in America. In 2010, The Birmingham News reported:
Fifty-one schools in the Birmingham metro area -- including 31 Birmingham city schools -- are chronic failures, according to a list created by the state under new federal guidelines. 
Alabama has 264 "persistently low-achieving" schools, defined by a formula that factored in standardized reading and math test scores, graduation rates and other data from the past three years. 
All of the schools on the list serve poor populations and either receive federal Title I funds or are eligible for them. Title I funds are given to schools that have a high poverty level, where at least 35 percent of students participate in the free and reduced-price lunch program. 
The list includes 31 schools in Birmingham, six in Jefferson County, all four Tarrant schools, all three Midfield schools, three in Fairfield, two in Bessemer, one in Leeds and one in Shelby County. Birmingham has more failing schools than any other district in the state, including Mobile, which has more than twice as many students and 10 schools on the list. 
"We have more Title I schools than any other school system, so of course we have more schools on that list," said Claudia Williams, chief academic officer for Birmingham City Schools.
On April 14, 2012, Tommy Bice - Alabama superintendent of education - assumed control of Birmingham City Schools from one of the most corrupt organs in all of America, the incrediblyBlack Birmingham Board of Education.

Remember, 98 percent of the students in Birmingham City Schools are Black. 85 percent of these students receive a free lunch at school.

The dysfunction of those in charge of the systems (all of these mentioned above were run by Black people before adults stepped in to takeover) that have come under intense scrutiny is mirrored in the poor academic performance of their Black children.

This is a snapshot of America in 2012. If one of these schools systems was failing, blaming Black people   wouldn't be prudent. But because Detroit is not an anomaly; because Birmingham, Memphis, Atlanta, Kansas City, Houston, D.C., Philadelphia, and many other districts are faltering... well, it's all the same.

Only the names will change.

The world is preparing for a post-American order; we're still busy trying to find a way to close the racial gap in learning, without understanding that nature isn't inclined to lend a helping hand to see this delusional goal come to fruition.

No matter what Teach for America hopes to accomplish, nature will always come crashing back to bust up the education party.
Sponsored Links

HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 7:38am
Schools are trying to teach kids the way they did in 1950.

I wanna know are the teachers in these schools white?

We need an entire overhaul. Get parents involved from kindergarten not when the kid starts having trouble.

I really don't know anymore. It's getting scary. I know that a lot of black men I talk to really believe there is nothing for them to learn in school. History is not about them, the books for english class are either about slaves or white ppl.
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 9:30am
There can be some gaps. I went to a public b.s. but it was magnet. Whites were the minority there. Mostly black and Hispanic with some Asians and few whites. Exemplary and had to apply to get in. College prep. Often the inner city schools don't get the teachers and finances. Parental support can be lacking too. Though many parents are busy working some can't be bothered.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:14pm
Who wrote this article? The author just said the failing school systems were run by black people until adults stepped in, implying that black people are not adults...and said there's a natural racial gap in learning. I can't really take this article seriously.

As far as underachievement in the black community, I place the blame squarely on us. I recognize the structural issues (poverty, lack of funding, lack of appropriate educational interventions, etc) but there is far too much dysfunction that rests squarely on our shoulders. Let me know when there's a conversation about that.
PurrPoZe View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote PurrPoZe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:33pm

No matter what Teach for America hopes to accomplish, nature will always come crashing back to bust up the education party.

Lol what? Nature?

This article is racist
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:13pm
very racist
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:43pm
Yeah, can't believe I read that.
Doesn't deserve a thoughtful comment.
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:58pm
Had to come back, whenever I read article like this, I know that there is zero chance that the author has an advanced degree from a credible academic institution. Nor do the people who find this type of nonsense credible.
If they did they would know that Americans of all races have a tough time competing with international students of all races. All international educational studies prove this as well.
All white school districts in america are failing on an international scale. Now what?
LovesHim View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote LovesHim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 3:45pm
yeah the districts in my area are losing accreditation... its crazy

majority of it is based on state test score performance.... 

those tests are no joke..... they require a level of understanding that many of my students are not yet prepared for... 

my biggest issue is that reading is now expected in KG ... yet kids come to KG never being exposed to letters, sounds, phonics, sight words

Many of the parents I work with have no idea that kids should come to KG ready to read and not learn letters and colors

How is a teacher (alone) to produce a fluent reader when the students are still needing exposure to primary concepts.... 

If a teacher is still working on primary concepts how can a student learn to be a fluent reader...

If a student cant read how can they practice the reasoning and comprehension skills needed to perform on these tests and life in general

sighhhh I really could go on and on... but im hungry.... 
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 3:58pm
Yes parents need to prepare their children.
IA.

You're supposed to come to school already able to read and write and with comprehension skills.

What are the parents doing at home? There is no excuse for parents not to have their kids prepared for school and reinforcing afterwards.

My nephew is 3 and can read and count and add
He knows the phonetics of abc and is obsessed with learning .
He spells all of his family members names and counts up to 100.
Im glad my sister and brother in law fostered that in him

It's up to parents to create that environment

Edited by jonesable - Dec 29 2013 at 4:01pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions