It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2008 at 11:32pm

When I go to the salon, they only blow dry my hair and they get it silky straight. To the OP, maybe you should give your hair a rest from all that heat and put it in some type of protective style. Pressing is all about the technique and I'm sure once you learn it, you can have silky healthy pressed hair in no time! Relaxers are def. not for everyone cause I know that my hair is a lot healthier pressing it all the time v.s. relaxing it!

Sponsored Links

MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2008 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by lotusflower lotusflower wrote:

oh when i say natural i mean without the relaxer.  lol  the afro puffs and dbl strand twists aint for me, tried and it and it just didn't do anything for me.  I was going to get my hair washed/pressed/curled every two weeks and i noticed it started looking thin.  I'm thinking about going back tomy bob where its layered and shaved in the back and the sides are long.  all i had to do was washmy hair, put some setting lotion in it and wrap;maybe add some rollers comb it down and go...... when i wash my hair now, its really stringy, so i haven't had my hair pressed in a while

What are you using to press your hair? Do you use a pressing comb?
shanell411 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 7:04pm

Well it really depends on what YOUR hair needs. My hair needs/can take alot of heat! I get my hair pressed with a pressing comb and flat iron over it for curls every two weeks. I use satin rollers in my hair at night to try and keep the curl. So you could try using that to reduce heat during the week that you don't get your hair pressed. I have been with out a relaxer for 4.5 years and my hair is healthier than during my time with the relaxer! And yes girl I can feel you with the whole wanting to get a relaxer thing-because you feel so scared with a press during rain, sweat, showers, exercise etc. that your hair is going to sweat out and that is STRESS!Cry But I have been trying to learn to deal with ways to prevent the reverting of my hair!

But like I said it depends on YOUR hair needs and what works for you and also about maintaining and proper care of your hair after the press I think that is the most crucial part as well in hair care.

-Satin Scarf

-Satin Rollers

-Deep Conditioning

-Flat Iron Touch-Ups with 100% ceramic irons!

Hope this helps!

Edited by shanell411 - Jan 09 2008 at 7:10pm
Vainity View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 1:47pm
I had my last relaxer in March.  I did the BC in May.  I had over 5 inches of natural hair.  I had it pressed on Saturday.  He shampooed, deep conditioned, blow-dried, pressed (with a comb), cut and then marcel curled my hair - in that order.
It looks and feels just like relaxed hair.  It's very touchable and has body and everything.
Things I don't like:
     I'm scared to work out.
     The crispy smell in my hair.
I haven't used rollers at night because I prefer the tossled look my hair gets from just coming it down and tying it up at night.
I'm still contemplating going back to the relaxer for the above two reasons and because my husband prefers my hair straight.  I think I'm going to miss my nappy hair.
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 5:51pm
You can work out with pressed hair and not have it revert. I heard that some ladies just wrap it and tie it up with a silk scarf. Then after they cool off and dry they take it out and viola!
growingitlong View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 9:58pm

I plan on pressing with a flat iron from now on due to some major heat damage from the pressing comb.

Unique Monique View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 5:47pm
I wish i could go back to a relaxer, I have been natural for about 3yrs now. I had go stop getting relaxers due to scalp issues. I put a lot more heat on my hair now that it is natural. I am in GA and the humidity kills my press and curl.
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 9:16pm
I don't use pressing combs and I personally think IMO that they are damaging to hair. I wouldn't go back to the relaxer. I love the versatility of my hair now and if I want I can just press it regularly. Unique Monique how many times do you press your hair?
maat749 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2008 at 1:28pm
I remember when I had been natural for about 4 years. I was tired of sometimes fighting my hair and pressing it for the straight look. All I could think about was relaxing my hair. So, I got a texturizer and then later I got a relaxer. Now I am transitioning back to natural hair because I miss the texture and the freedom. I would say relax only if you never intend on going back to natural because all of that hard work would have gone down the drain.
KhandiGirl! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2008 at 8:02pm
I have been natural for over 5 years. I have only worn my hair in it's natural curly state until recently, when I pressed it to see my hair's true length (I have a lot of shrinkage).

For a quick minute, I was so geeked over the length of my pressed hair, I considered a relaxer. Pressing my hair took forever! But I have fallen in love with my natural texture, and am really proud of how healthy my hair is now. I know that a relaxer isn't for me.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic