Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Braids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedThose who are using braids for growth?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
redbone.savage View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 4:29pm
OMG I JUST GOT MY BRAIDS ON AUGUST 24TH AND I ALREADY HAVE NEW GROWTH
Sponsored Links

katakana89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 5:27pm
I get a significant amount of inches. I tend to wear my braids/twists with extension hair for 1-1.5 months. Take down is important, so is not braiding too tightly and leaving it loose all around your edges and nape. I wash and condition once a week and co wash every few days. I also moisture and seal at night. It's important to take care of your braids like your would hair to retain your health and length.

A few days before I know I want to take down I oil a bit more, so when its take down day my hair and any buildup and shed hairs easily slips from my hair and I experience no breakage whatsoever. Then I finger comb excessively, comb with a seamless comb, and DC to prep for an extenstion-less wash and DC.

DarkBrown View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2011 at 4:33pm
about 4 1/2 inches now
Dreamjes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 4:20pm
I have been wearing braids on and off for about 2 years now and my hair has NEVER been in BETTER condition. Unlike a lot of you, when it comes to braids, I do all the wrong things, but those things work out for me. I initially got braids to grow my hair out, then I started working out daily and now I use to braids for growth and a protective style. I wear my hair in cornrows with extensions and individual braids. I almost never wash my hair, I never rinse it after I work out and I feel that that works for me because of all the water I drink my sweat is not very salty and therefore does not damage my hair. I also think that it helps may hair as it lifts the sebum off the scalp which helps to moisturize the new. I would say that my hair is in braids for about 9 months out of the year. I relax my hair occasionally and it is absolutely beautiful when I do. For me putting my hair in braids was the best thing I could have ever done. My hair braider is WONDERFUL she really takes care of my hair and watches my edges. The key is having beautiful hair while using braids is all in the braider.
Dreamjes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 4:26pm
I have gotten about a good 8 inches of growth with regular trims. I normally keep my individual braids in for 3 months and my cornrows for 4 or 5 week, but now I've moved it down to 3 weeks because I end up looking like a big fuzz ball. I usually take the braids down on a Friday night or Saturday and they get put back in on the Sunday.
jazzybee445 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 5:17pm
I have been using braids since forever. I recently just went natural and my number one protective style is braids... I am now at Bra strap lengthl. here is the link to my most recent length check video on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCkz-YyLvh8
I would say that the growth retention that I have experienced have been largely because i keep my hair in protective styles such as braids and mini twists. I have three length checks on my channel, so you can look at them all if you want to see how far I have come. And if you look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85qmfx3jQeM I tell you how I take care of my hair while it is in braids and what I do to make sure I retain the most length possible. I really hope this will be helpful for you! :-)
Gia2009 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2011 at 6:47pm
Great Growth Jazzy!! I'm about to go and look at your other video now!
DeeDee58517 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2011 at 4:34pm
I was using my current box braids for growth but these shyts must come out this weekend! My scalp is on some other, its really itchy. I've only had them in for a little over 2 weeks (I did them myself). I could never throw braids/sew-ins in without going through this itchy phase. I wash it every week and even greased my scalp. But yeah, its not happening, Im just gonna go back to 2-strand twisting my hair and prob color it.
DarkBrown View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 8:07am
Originally posted by DeeDee58517 DeeDee58517 wrote:

I was using my current box braids for growth but these shyts must come out this weekend! My scalp is on some other, its really itchy. I've only had them in for a little over 2 weeks (I did them myself). I could never throw braids/sew-ins in without going through this itchy phase. I wash it every week and even greased my scalp. But yeah, its not happening, Im just gonna go back to 2-strand twisting my hair and prob color it.

I was having the same problem with my scalp being dry and my braids itching. I bought some spray from walmart called African Royale Braid & extensions spray and it has been helping. it comes in a while bottle with a gold spray top. you just spray it on and massage your scalp.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2011 at 3:13am
Sometimes the itching comes from a allergic reaction to the chemicals used to make the hair extension. These chemicals are even worst in extensions that are colored. It can also dry your hair out especially if your hair is relaxed. 
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic