Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

This week on the new black blacks: KEKE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 6:55pm
DAMAGE CONTROL:

Keke Palmer Reveals Plans To Visit Ferguson, Responds To Social Media Backlash

Huffington Post  | By Brennan Williams
Posted: Updated:
Print Article
KEKE PALMER

As she prepares for her historical role as the first African-American to play Cinderella on Broadway beginning Sept. 9, Keke Palmer has also expressed her thoughts on the outrage stemming from the killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

Earlier this week, the 21-year-old actress-singer took to her Twitter and Instagram account posting a string of comments urging for unity and nonviolence during the outbreaks of national protests for Brown. And though Palmer’s inspirational messages were intended to uplift her followers, some slammed her thoughts as naïve.

“Being naïve is never anything to be ashamed of, because I believe me being naïve is what has allowed me to do all the things that I can because if I believe in and quote what’s realistic then I wouldn’t be doing what I’m doing right now,” Palmer admitted Thursday during an interview with The Huffington Post. “I simply wouldn’t be ‘Cinderella’ on Broadway, I wouldn’t have ‘Just KeKe,’”

“I wouldn’t have done any of the things that I’ve done. So I think that’s a play on people’s ideas of what they can’t do and what they believe is possible. And for me, I believe everything is possible. That’s the way that I was raised, and from what I’ve been able to do I’ve seen that to be true that your reality is what you make it.”

The star also shared her thoughts on the Michael Brown incident and why she chose to speak up.

“As far as what’s going on with Mike Brown, I spoke up on that, because unproductive outrage has never gotten us anywhere,” she continued. “Even with MLK and everything that he did for black people...all he spoke about was unity, because throwing hate and being angry, and violence, that doesn’t give us peace and equality. That’s like having sex in order to get your virginity. It’s just the complete opposite thing to do.”

“I don’t have all the answers and there are no quick fixes for things like this. But uniting and coming together on one clear message and trying to get that message across is much better than us all being everywhere and fighting against one another and coming from all different sides. That’s never going to get us anywhere.”

After defending her thoughts against the hailstorm of criticism, Palmer also encouraged her followers on Instagram to “take it to the streets” and “off Twitter” if they really want to contribute to positive change. All of which has prompted the Illinois-native to visit Ferguson this weekend.

“I’m very excited to see what can be done and if I can really get involved, and how we can unite one another,” she said during the interview. “That’s what I always believe is the way to go. Uniting us all. Not just black people, but everybody that’s coming to talk the same message. It’s unfortunate when things like this happen, but hopefully it can wake people’s eyes up and let them know that we need to unite as a people.”

"No one person can do anything. So, going further into my statement of 'taking it to the streets,' if you feel strongly, organize things that can best execute your message. That's what I mean by that. Being angry and outraged freezes train of thought. We all have to take a breath outside of our pain and figure out a way to be heard. Everybody, anybody, can make a difference if they try."
Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 6:58pm
I tried to defend you Keke... I really did!
K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 7:26pm
She looks cute in that picture.  She's getting that "first black" high.  Not all she's saying is bs..but most of it is.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 8:05pm

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

How many of us thought the same way when we were around Keke's age?

not i...

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Aug 15 2014 at 8:06pm
OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote OhMyCurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 8:27pm
I have never liked Keke. Once she straightened her hair to conform to her first *cough* failed tv show's white audience I knew it was all she wrote. She talks too much and more than one person has implied it. Even Wendy Williams had to pat her hand like a 3 year old and tell her to "hush". 

She's my age, as a black female, she's not afforded the luxury of naivety. Age is not an excuse for stupid.

She better watch what the phuck she says. Every opportunity that has came her way has been from black people that wanted her to succeed. 

Anger, frustration, and outrage is necessary and has ALWAYS been necessary to get change. MLK's method of non-violence was strategic...but they were still highly pissed off. You can be outraged and strategic at the same time. People like her that white-wash MLKs message and are jaded by a few coins irritate me. 
Im_oh_so_hott View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Im_oh_so_hott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 8:36pm
I'm rethinking taking my kid to see her as Cinderella.
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 8:58pm
don't give up on keke just yet. she gone be all right. maybe this will be her lightbulb moment.
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 10:43pm

why is she relevant?
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

why is she relevant?

I don't know but last week she was our "Cinderella"
This week she make herself our "Jackass"
Fraiche2Death View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Fraiche2Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 11:29pm
Somebody shut her the fcuk up. I'm glad she thinks she can show up in Ferguson w/some toys for the kids, speak on the bullhorn, walk around the neighborhood and take IG pics and then racism will cease to exist. Yea, cause the problem is that we don't have one clear message & we don't take it to the streets...Unhappy

Meanwhile those same folks she's tap dancing for are calling her N**gerella

Edited by Fraiche2Death - Aug 15 2014 at 11:30pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>