BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is Business, Nothing Personal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mzmee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzmee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is Business, Nothing Personal
    Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 9:54am
To the business owners, managers or anyone that has access/interaction to regular customers or clients:

Have you come across a situation where a regular customer tried to get chummy for the sole purpose of receiving a "hook-up"? And when you had to lay policies down or simply state you're unable to make exceptions they all of a sudden became standoff-ish?

How did you handle it?

How do you handle clients that have an ulterior motive?

Can you sense it right away?

I'm on a few folk's bad side because I enforce my policies and refuse to make exceptions because of what they perceive to be a "friendship".
Sponsored Links

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:02am
i am always leery of people trying to become new "friends" especially if i sense any sort of conflict of interest there.  i usually don't allow it and will go with the i'm not taking apps for new friends right now mindset...lol

but if such a poser has snuck past me...i will usually just distance myself as well.  yet, when around them i will still be very much myself and very cordial, of course.
tasty0619 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tasty0619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:07am
I wouldn't care too much as long as the business side continues as usual. I don't want a faux friendship with a user.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:10am
It depends.... 

1. Does this person have a business? Could you benefit from bartering? 

2. Are they a talker? Meaning is this someone that knows everybody? Word of Mouth is very powerful, and being friends with someone like that could be to your biggest advantage (and cheapest form of advertising). If this is case, I would definitely give them a little discount because they would bring more business my way. Im thinking something similar to a loyalty rewards program.

3. If they are just a leech....yeah cut them off. You are a business and that means you need to make a profit from your business.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:14am
good points goodm3...but i would still prefer folks be upfront about their intentions.  don't try and be sneaky and pass off a "business agreement" as a friendship.  that would rub me the wrong way for sure...
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:21am
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

It depends.... 

1. Does this person have a business? Could you benefit from bartering? 

2. Are they a talker? Meaning is this someone that knows everybody? Word of Mouth is very powerful, and being friends with someone like that could be to your biggest advantage (and cheapest form of advertising). If this is case, I would definitely give them a little discount because they would bring more business my way. Im thinking something similar to a loyalty rewards program.

3. If they are just a leech....yeah cut them off. You are a business and that means you need to make a profit from your business.

The TRUTH!
mzmee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mzmee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:24am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i am always leery of people trying to become new "friends" especially if i sense any sort of conflict of interest there.  i usually don't allow it and will go with the i'm not taking apps for new friends right now mindset...lol

but if such a poser has snuck past me...i will usually just distance myself as well.  yet, when around them i will still be very much myself and very cordial, of course.
I'm leery of new friends as well. My husband sometimes think I'm crazy when I say I can sense someone is on some bs. Since I've had my business I've been 100% correct. I had to correct a client with this newfound friend label and correct it to "daycare parent".

What I hate is when they ask me for special priviledges and I say no they ask "What's wrong? Everything alright?"

This ish irks me. Ususally when they arrive it's small talk, nothing too deep. Now that they see I stand by my policy and wont bend after favors have been asked they don't talk or I have to pry a good morning out of them.

I can't do business like this.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:48am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

good points goodm3...but i would still prefer folks be upfront about their intentions.  don't try and be sneaky and pass off a "business agreement" as a friendship.  that would rub me the wrong way for sure...

it doesn't have to be sneaky... but before I posted I didn't know OP had a daycare business. Those type of businesses are (for the most part) built on word of mouth. So keeping parents happy and talking about you to other parents  in a positive light is always something to think about. 
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:49am
I never get close to client.

+ What goodm3 wrote
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I never get close to client.

+ What goodm3 wrote

so how do keep them coming back?

like work, being nice and doing a good job aren't always enough

I'm not a business owner but I do know as a customer when an owner throws something my way without me asking for it or for example, gets to know my family and asks how they are doing, etc... I do want to do business with them more

again, not telling mz what to do just putting that out there
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>