Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
dredremeg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinning Hair after a sew in
    Posted: Jul 05 2007 at 10:03pm
I've been wearing a weave for about 1 1/2 years, I recently had it removed by my stylist, now my hair is really thin. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution(s) to help me thicken my hair back?
Sponsored Links

havilland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2007 at 10:09pm
i am soooo sorry that happened to you.  i am also concerned that the stylist never noticed that your hair was not in great condition when he/she did your takedowns over that last year.  what's up with that?Angry

i would suggest Aphogee hair treatments followed by intense moisturization, a good trim and give your hair a rest from heat and anything harsh.

also....post this inquiry over on the hair breakage and the hair growth boards.  those ladies know everything about repairing hair.Embarrassed
Sugar Lump View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2007 at 1:03pm
Dredremeq,
     Are you relaxing your hair between weaves, because that could be the cause of it thinning?  I use to relax mine everytime I took my weave out, then braid it back up, and I noticed thinning big time.  Now, I am leaving it naturally nappy.  I just take down, and since I know I will be putting the weave back in, just wash and condition, then rebraid.
arliep View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2007 at 1:41pm

I think extensions just thin out your hair.  I don't relax when I wear extensions but my hair is fine and it is no surprise to me that it is thinned out when I stop wearing extensions but after a while it thickens back up.

DetroitGal929 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2007 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by arliep arliep wrote:

I think extensions just thin out your hair.  I don't relax when I wear extensions but my hair is fine and it is no surprise to me that it is thinned out when I stop wearing extensions but after a while it thickens back up.

There is some truth to this...thinning is natural when wearing weaves...but as arliep said...when you stop wearing them for a while..the hair does thicken again!!!  Rather than wearing your weaves back to back...give the hair a 3-4 week rest and let the hair breathe and then go back...just a suggestion...I heard that the hair thins because of lack of oxygen???  I read that on the hair growth board.
MissLuxurious View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2007 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by yellow08 yellow08 wrote:

When my stylist took my install down, my hair was thicker and fuller. My ends were not damaged at all ( I mean he had the scissors ready to cut, and no cutting/dusting was needed at all...believe me I was shockedShocked) Now, wasn't too keen on the shedding but I got over it, once I realized it was normal.

I think it depends on your hair type, condition of your hair before you put weaves in it and how well you keep your hair up with the install. I think it's hard to make a generalization about weaves because we really don't know what "people" are/are not doing to their hair beneath. 

I agree. My hair got thicker. Too thick Confused
yellow08 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2007 at 2:19pm

When my stylist took my install down, my hair was thicker and fuller. My ends were not damaged at all ( I mean he had the scissors ready to cut, and no cutting/dusting was needed at all...believe me I was shockedShocked) Now, wasn't too keen on the shedding but I got over it, once I realized it was normal.

I think it depends on your hair type, condition of your hair before you put weaves in it and how well you keep your hair up with the install. I think it's hard to make a generalization about weaves because we really don't know what "people" are/are not doing to their hair beneath. 

cinnamon29 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2007 at 12:24am
You definitely need to give it time to breathe between intstalls. Lack of oxygen retards the growth of your hair. I have used a half wig/quick weave in between. You should be able to get a synthetic one for $20 or so. I usually just put it in, and clip it up in the back. You can't tell. Good luck.
SelfStyled View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2007 at 9:06am
Originally posted by yellow08 yellow08 wrote:

ITA Yellow. How was the state of your hair when you initially put the weave in?  I cam empathize with you, and know for certain that weaves definitely thinned my hair. But then again I started with thin hair and shedding after a pregnancy.  It really depends on what your baseline is. Some people's hair THRIVES with weaves while other people like myself suffer damage. Also. how were you caring for your hair underneath when you were weaved up? Generally if you can avoid relaxing while in the weave that is usually healthier for your hair.  Don't despair because with the proper tlc, you can baby that thinning hair back to health Tongue

Start doing weekly deep protein conditioning treatments, over time the protein will bind to your hair shaft and cause it to thicken back up, it WILL take time though, so patience is key.  I am a former weaver and had to stop wearing weaves for this very reason.  I miss the versatility of weaves, but I stay fly with insta weaves, updo's, buns, ponies,etc.Check out my fotki if you need some ideas of where to begin with a regimen. Also check out the Growth section for more ideas of how you can turn your hair around.
here is a link with some more info of ways to thicken up your hair:
Hope that helps!!
TrainerGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2007 at 9:50am
You may need to actually go to a haircare professional to get your hair on track.  I didn't say a hairstylist, but someone who specializes in "hair health".

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic