BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Wigs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of "inking" your wig?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
utmostrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utmostrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of "inking" your wig?
    Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 2:51pm
Hey guys, Im new here, and have beena lurker for some time now, always reading tips and tricks for protective styling.  I recently decided to try a technique to an older synthetic wig of mine that I'd been reading about.  I know the frustration f buying a synthetic wig and the color not being what you expected.  The first year I started wearing synthetic lace wigs in the winter, I bought an auburn wig that had highlights in it.  The color was very beautiful on my comuter screen, but when I got it in the mail, I was shocked at how bright it was.  Since I spent money on it, I wore it anyways, and I actually got a lot of compliments on it.  It was just *I* wasnt comfortable with such a bright color, especially in the winter when I lose a lot of my own. 
I took it out again this year, with another older wig and I also bought two new wigs.  The other wigs are all dark; the older of the three being 1b with 33 highlights, and then the two new ones I bought with just solid 1b.  I really like my two new wigs, and my other older wig was my favorite one last year, but because of the way I stored it (not on a wig head but in a ziplock baggy), it aged a lot.  My auburn wig isnt made nearly as nice as the other three.  It is on wefts with only lae in the front, and it has little bitty short filler hairs all through it.  This means it looked even worse this year after storing it the same way as my other pone from last year.

In addition to adding new curls and two lines of wefted hair to the wig, I needed to darken the color, because the brightness just made it even more apparent how worn it was.  But you can't change the color of a synthetic, right???

WRONG.  I found out that you can color a wig darker with ink.  So I found the technique and the wig took the color.  I wont go into the technique here because it is fairly easy to find online, just search under "ink dye wig."  A lot of the techniques reccomend certain brands, and types, but I used a different brand and type and it still worked for me, perhaps because I wasnt going from a totally different color wig to a super dark one.  I went from auburn to black/brown, and it wasnt hard at all.  It wasnt very messy either. 

I let the wig dry overnight.  I also put tin foil on about 14 pieces so that the ink would *NOT* stain those strands.  It worked!  In the morning, I had a beautiful black/brown synthetic wig with lots of natural lookiong highlights, some in larger pieces from my tin foiling them, and some from the natural highlights of the wig staining in a lighter color because the ink isn't opaque.  But I also had an unexpected benefit.

The ends of this wig I struggled with alot because they would be frizzy and puffy, and not as nice as they used to be.  Even after using heat (it is at least heat-safe), and trimming, they still werent what I wanted them to be like.  In addition, the wig was a bit stringy in texture now, it wouldnt brush out smooth and full, there were lots of spaces between each group of 5 hairs or so, like something was repelling them from each other.

I wish I had taken a picture, but I really didnt feel like taking a picture of the wig the way it looked, plus, I hadn't read anywhere that ink would do anything besides change the color, but the texture changed too! it was back to looking like it did when I bought it, texture-wise.  It has a soft shine that is more like human hair now, and it's SUPER SOFT (which it wasn't even that soft when I bought it) and yet the fly-aways are tamed, and all the waves I put into it come together.  It also has lots of body and movement, basically it's everything you look for in a good wig! It looks really beautiful, very Hollywood, but everyday wearable.  I absolutely love it!  Couldnt wait to share with you all that this ink did for my wig, its like a new wig that I can finally feel proud of wearing!

So, since if you put on a lighter color ink onto a wig, the color wont really take, I'm thinking that even if you don't want to change the color, using white (which would just be like a transparent glaze) would also give the same texture effect.  Think of all your synthetic wigs, weaves, pieces, that have become really ratty and nasty, you could essentially mimic that coating that they come with, and in effect re-finish the strands.  They might even look better than when you first bought them!

If you try this, let me know if it works for you, too, or if it was just a coincidence that mine came out this way :)
Sponsored Links

hairfanatic501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfanatic501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 9:16pm
Does it run when you wash it? 
utmostrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utmostrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 11:04pm
No, now that I did the rinse after letting it dry, it will not. I rinsed it until the water ran clear. Not a lot of dye ran out overall, and it only took fifteen minutes. It felt just like when you color, rinse and condition human hair, I was stunned!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply